5th gen high mount

OntarioHawk

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy a high mount exhaust for my 5th gen. Thing is, I have a full set of Givi tubular racks. I understand that the micron system works with the racks, but those appear to be unobtainium, although micron cans appear to be available. Maybe it's possible to find a suitable micron can and have a link pipe fabbed up? Surely someone here could provide measurements. 

What else will fit behind the rack? I'm not that partial to Delkevic, but I do like the looks of GPR for example. 

Thanks for any advice, and if you want to sell your micron, let me know!

• Member Contributer

If no one has a Micron high mount to measure for you, I'd be happy to measure up the connector pipe for my 2 Bros. high mount.  It many not be identical but should be very close.  Images are in my gallery. 

Go to ebay and get a tasty underseat exhaust and use one and have a spare.  They are super small diameter and still not too loud.  I dont know what bike this was from or where the second one is, but I love it

11895975_10207556657934284_5122602227794161502_n (1).jpg

Thanks for the input guys.

Cogswell, do you think the TBR link pipe will bring the muffler close enough to clear the inside of the tubular racks? Obviously, spacing the right side out a bit is a possibility. 

Also looking to get an idea of the the length of the micron muffler. I still think that's what I'd like for a can. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, OntarioHawk said:

Thanks MBrane.  I think GPR is going to be the way to go.  They look good, and price seems decent.  Any chance you have a shot from the direct rear?

I can get one tomorrow.

I like the sound of the Ti GPR.  Not too loud at low to mid rpm, but speaks up when revs climb. 

• Member Contributer

Here's a shot from the rear:

IMG_0888.JPG

You can see it fits pretty tight to the body. You'll also notice the passenger peg mounts are missing. The pipe easily fits behind the mount. All I did was rotate the clamp, move it back a bit, and attached it to the subframe. 

Looks good to me! Thanks for grabbing the pic. 

Two more questions, do you happen to know what the GPR part number is for your system? I see a couple Ti oval systems that appear to be the same but have different prices. 

I assume yours has two db killers. Do you have both installed? In the rear pic it looks lik the end one is out. What about the front one?

• Member Contributer

The pipe came on another bike I bought so I couldn't tell you about the part # or the db killer. It may have one in front because it's noticeably quieter than the carbon 2 Bros on my other 5th gen.

MBrane,

Like your high pipe and those wheels.

Are those wheels polished or Powder coated or maybe something else??

Best Regards,

Mark

• Member Contributer

The wheels were simply stripped, cleaned up with some 600 sandpaper/green Scotch Brite, and polished with Mothers. They look great from 10' away.

• 1 month later...

So I have my GPR set up here, but I've hit a snag.  On the instructions that came with it (Link: GPR High Mount Instructions) it says "WRAP BIG CLAMP (5) AROUND SILENCER (4), PLACE BRACKET (6) FIXING ONE SIDE TO CLAMP (5) AND THE OTHER SIDE TO TUBE (1) AND FOOTPEG USING THICKNESS (7)".  

The "thickness" is a spacer about 1.5-2" long, about 0.5" in diameter.  The instructions do not say to remove the rubber grommet at the footpeg or the washer with sleeve that goes into the grommet, and there would be nothing to retain the "thickness" in the eye on the footpeg.  The "thickness" seems too thick to fit between the peg and the link pipe without really bending the pipe.

So, question for those of you who have installed the high mount with the footpegs, did you a) remove the rubber grommet and insert the "thickness", b) flex the link pipe into submission, c) cut the "thickness" to a more appropriate length, or d) do something completely different?  Details are greatly appreciated.

Pics for clicks!

Custom

32515903416_1d5342e2a7_k.jpg

32177590990_3c62d59ee6_k.jpg

31712869174_15b96ba795_k.jpg

• Member Contributer

Although I can't help with your install, my MIG Indy high mount was a touch too wide for my give racks. So I made up some spacers and bent one side a touch. Isn't perfect but it is also a 17 year old bike ;)

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Probably best to do a test fitting to see how things line up before cutting or bending things. The pipe alone is plenty strong enough to hold up the muffler you just don't want to ride it that way. 

• Member Contributer

Hahha! I bent the givi racks, not my up pipe :) That MIG is unobtainium!

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic of the pipe on the original bike as bought. If you zoom in you can see how the tab on the pipe lines up with the stock mount, and the bracket that extends back to the muffler clamp. Try rotating the pipe to get things to line up. Don't worry if the spring hooks don't line up perfectly.

IMG_0726.jpg

Thanks MBrane.  Doesn't look like there is much, if any spacer in there.  Im going to need a little bit to force the tip of the can inwards to clear the rack, so looks like I'll have to break out the old hacksaw.  Not a big deal at all.  

Did you put any sort of bumper on the centre stand stop?  I expected it to come with a hole drilled so I could use the bumper from the OEM exhaust, but it didn't.  I see yours is the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Weather finally warmed up enough that I could work in the shop.  After some back and forth sourcing bolts, I got it mounted up.  The supplied M8 bolt from GPR was too short to use with the spacer, and ended up having to get a longer one.  I ended up cutting the spacer down to get the distance from the rack that I wanted, and Im pretty sure I have enough tire clearance.  The nut on the back also interferes with the lower spring, but its hooked on well.  The box also didn't come with a sticker for my tool box.  Really happy overall.

33150958950_13d0990d65_k.jpg

33534650725_4a26f9859e_b.jpg

Archived