VF1000R motor into a VF1000F?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

Has anyone done this and is it even possible?  The reason I ask is because a friend has a good VF1000F rolling chassis/bad motor and a good VF1000R motor and badly rusted chassis.  A motor swap would get him a complete bike.

TMHO Only a 84 VF1000R would fit the VF1000F frame directly.. The later 85 and 86 have wider cilinder heads..

Other issue would be the location of the thermostat housing but that is a minor fix...

The gearbox link arm has to be installed the other way around. If you install it the way it is, you might end up with a racing shift pattern (1st up and rest down)..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It looks like he'll just rebuild the motor that he's got, so now the question is this: who sells a full gasket kit for it?  Honda no longer sells a full kit, but it looks like Vesrah might.  The only issue is that their web site search function doesn't seem to work for gasket sets.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd like to help out my friend.  He's already signed up to join the forum and is just waiting for approval.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Tom:

I bought a top end gasket kit from these guys a while back for one of my R's. Haven't used it yet, but looks to be good quality. They are based in Poland, but you'll need to polish up on your German if you have any technical questions. Look for Klasa-Racing on ebay, They show this complete set on their website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KR-Motorcycle-engine-complete-gasket-set-HONDA-VF-1000-F-R-84-85-New-/171314663970?vxp=mtr&hash=item27e3265222

Back in Nov. I went to the Milan Motorcycle Show and made a point to stop by the Athena stand to ask if they still made a gasket kit for the VF1000F/R. They still show a part # for a complete kit in their catalog, P400210600950/1, but could not confirm stock. Have a look at page 67 of their catalog.

http://www.athenaparts.com/files/pdfs/catalogo-2014-motorcycle-scooter-revisione-definitiva-ld.pdf

They gave me a phone number for Athena USA, 855 741 2121, but I just got back to the States myself so have not called them. You could try to give them a call and see if they could confirm stock, but I think you would have to buy the kit from one of their dealers IIRC.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Had to edit this as I put the R gasket kit in the first link instead of the F

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A little late but we did a thread regarding putting a R motor in a F frame a couple years back. I still have the freshly modified and powder coated F frame wrapped in an old sheet waiting for one of my R motors. 

• 2 months later...

"The later 85 and 86 have wider cilinder heads.."

Hi all- long time no contribute  :schla15: but my time is coming soon.  Quick question related to gasket topic above- is the top-end gasket kit for '84 models therefore different, to cater for narrower cylinder heads & associated differences??  If so, how do I identify if I'm buying the right kit on ebay (year references are pretty loosey-goosey on there, and I've never seen references to wide-head gaskets or skinny-head gaskets).

Access to the Forum's infinite knowledge much appreciated.  :cheerleader:

Nope, the head gaskets are identical for all model years VF1000F, VF1000R and VF1000FF/F2 engines..

What differs is the valve cover gasket. The 1984 VF1000F has a straight valve cover gasket where the 1985/86/87 VF1000FF/F2/R have half moon shaped inserts attached to the gasket. (linebored cams)

Archived