What luggage actually looks good on a 5th gen???

Epyon007

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Takes a bit of creativity....

9.thumb.jpg.283e3cbec6b7916026a4660b500d08df.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys! So instead of starting a new thread, I decided I'll just write here: I have a couple of questions regarding the side luggage options for the 5th gen VFR. My bike came only with the following top box Givi mount: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zPRaZX9t4OEY3LpH3 . Which side pannier mounts should I buy and is the top box mount a prerequisite for them? I'm looking to store around 25 liters in each side case and maybe 30-40 in the top box one.

• Member Contributer

It looks like you have the 257FZ top box mount.  You can then fit the PL257 side-case holders, per the instructions here: 0.0.1.man_pl257.pdf

Here's a picture of a modified 257FZ/PL257 set-up:

5a1c85e8899f9_ReinforcedGiVi257fzpl257.jpg.6ca927a30a05ed419318d48bb30f29f0.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 11/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, JZH said:

It looks like you have the 257FZ top box mount.  You can then fit the PL257 side-case holders, per the instructions here: 0.0.1.man_pl257.pdf

Ciao,

This outfit sells this stuff at a discount:

Motostorm s.r.l.
via Leopardi 14
47833 Morciano di Romagna (RN)
ITALY
Tel. 335 6027769
www.motostorm.it - info@motostorm.it

I have a new set of PL257 on the way. One got bent while performing as a frame slider. Still works but it looks a little crooked and I've lost a couple of the bag mounting bungs.

GiviUSA has been very helpful when replacing parts and hardware also.

• 6 months later...
On 12/29/2016 at 11:27 AM, jaydj said:

Loaded down Givi Wingrack w my bike rack w enough gear for a 4-day mountain biking trip in the Shenandoah Nat'l Forest.  Skyline Drive, VA.

loaded.jpg

Can you detail how your bike is mounted and what system it is? I’m looking at 2x2 system now for consideration.

Art

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, MuskokaMike said:

Here's what I did to keep things a little narrower ...

image.jpeg

Very creative. Good for you.

• Member Contributer
On 11/27/2017 at 1:42 PM, JZH said:

Ciao,

JZH, thanks for posting the link to the PL257 instructions. Couldn't have been better timing - I was just discovering that I couldn't fit the PL257s over my high mount  Staintune. As a result, I'll have to run over to my storage unit to pick up the low mount Two Brothers. Before you posted the instructions, I wasn't quite certain whether I'd used all the correct hardware from my '257 bits' ziplock. Cheers

• Member Contributer

My current machine came with a Staintune high mount. And I have had a setup like sfdownhill seemingly forever. So I've heard this tune before. Didn't mater since I planned to sell the Staintune, but I later saw a rig that the owner made extensions on the right side to have both the high mount and the PL257. I cannot remember the precise way but with a little creativity, it can be done.

• Member Contributer
On 6/23/2018 at 3:12 PM, MuskokaMike said:

Here's what I did to keep things a little narrower ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What metal did you use for that angle piece, and did you modify the MonoRack top plate to accommodate it?

Cheers,

On 6/24/2018 at 4:10 PM, MaxSwell said:

My current machine came with a Staintune high mount. And I have had a setup like sfdownhill seemingly forever. So I've heard this tune before. Didn't mater since I planned to sell the Staintune, but I later saw a rig that the owner made extensions on the right side to have both the high mount and the PL257. I cannot remember the precise way but with a little creativity, it can be done.

I have a high mount Micron and had to space my PL257 out.  I ended up getting longer bolts for the top mount and spacer bar at the rear, and then build up some nuts to stand the rack off far enough to clear the muffler.  Its not pretty, but its a good "temporary" solution for me and has been rock solid so far.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, OntarioHawk said:

I have a high mount Micron and had to space my PL257 out.  I ended up getting longer bolts for the top mount and spacer bar at the rear, and then build up some nuts to stand the rack off far enough to clear the muffler.  Its not pretty, but its a good "temporary" solution for me and has been rock solid so far.

Perhaps your rig is the one I saw. Have we met? Perhaps at a PNW or SumSum?  (Please forgive my lack of memory.)

42 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Perhaps your rig is the one I saw. Have we met? Perhaps at a PNW or SumSum?  (Please forgive my lack of memory.)

I dont think so. I live in southern Ontario.  Last time I was in Minnesota was a few years ago now and I was in Duluth at Aerostich.  I think we have corresponded back and forth on the forum previously though.  I can take a pic for anyone who's interested, but I reiterate....its functional but not pretty!

• Member Contributer
On 6/27/2018 at 1:11 PM, OntarioHawk said:

I dont think so. I live in southern Ontario.  Last time I was in Minnesota was a few years ago now and I was in Duluth at Aerostich.  I think we have corresponded back and forth on the forum previously though.  I can take a pic for anyone who's interested, but I reiterate....its functional but not pretty!

I was only inquiring for someone else. I use, and prefer, the OEM can. Thanks for getting back to me.

Aerostich is my go to place for mc gear. I try to make it up there (160 miles) at least a couple time a year. Heck, I've bought 4 riding suits from them. My first Transit suit was ruined in a deer crash on the freeway. I have a Roadcrafter also but haven't used it since I've discovered the Transit. 

Take care and safe riding

Terry

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, MuskokaMike said:

Used 1/4" aluminum angle and a 1/4" aluminum backer plate for the vertical mount shaped angle to fit recess in the horizontal mount ..

Thanks.

Ciao,

Archived