What luggage actually looks good on a 5th gen???

Epyon007

Ok not really the best looking but in my opinion Ok since the bag's been painted in pretty much #the same" blue as the bike,

Ps the photo is of the former owners bike with now my bags

väsk.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh I have never see it from the back before.  That is Purdy!!!!  It really looks like it fits really well too!!  I assume those aren't being made anymore either...

Well I have discovered that these quick release SW-Motech brackets are actually still available.  I guess Twisted Throttle had some kind of computer SNAFU and can still get them, though they are in very limited quantities.  I need to get my ass in gear ASAP and get some.  Get the adaptors for them and you can put most any brand of luggage on there.

Sw-Motech Quick release luggage brackets for 5th gen VFR800

Loaded down Givi Wingrack w my bike rack w enough gear for a 4-day mountain biking trip in the Shenandoah Nat'l Forest.  Skyline Drive, VA.

loaded.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Epyon007 said:

Well I have discovered that these quick release SW-Motech brackets are actually still available.  I guess Twisted Throttle had some kind of computer SNAFU and can still get them, though they are in very limited quantities.  I need to get my ass in gear ASAP and get some.  Get the adaptors for them and you can put most any brand of luggage on there.

Sw-Motech Quick release luggage brackets for 5th gen VFR800

One thing to keep in mind about hard bags for the 5th gen is how fat your ass is!  You know the bags!  If you have been used to tucking that slim behind through tight spots you have to be more careful now... a lot more!.  Unlike proper touring bikes with wider handlebars and mirrors our 5th gen "whiskers" are relatively narrow.  This is what you use naturally to gauge how much room you have to fit in.  I have nearly ripped my VFR bags off on occasion because I failed to take the bigger beam into account. Never had that problem with close fitting soft bags so did not think about that.

On that front I have the original SW quick release mountings.  Here you can see a picture of the Hepco Becker EVO bag adapter on the seat next to the mounting plate/bracket.  I found that I did not need the plate adapter which saved my about two inches of beam.  So make sure you check which version of the SW mounts you are getting EVO or original?

gallery_2144_2760_1077480.jpg

Regardless, my recommendation for bag size is go small at first. This also forces packing discipline which is good! 

My Hepco Becker bags are 30 liters but I could go to 40 if I really wanted to carry even more crap than I already do. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jaydj said:

Loaded down Givi Wingrack w my bike rack w enough gear for a 4-day mountain biking trip in the Shenandoah Nat'l Forest.  Skyline Drive, VA.

You are not the only one.  I saw this rig a couple of years ago when I was coming back from a tour.  Probably too much stuff for me if I was camping as well.

gallery_2144_2760_50193.jpg

I am thinking about getting the semi rigid Givi bags actually.  I had something just like that on my Ducati Hyperstrada and they were great.  The Givi bags are cheaper then the SW-Motech ones and Givi sponsors a MotoGP team (LCR Honda) so I would like to buy their product.  I also believe that Givi has a pretty good product based on what I've seen and my current soft waterproof throw overs.

Givi easylock semi rigid bags 25 ltr

12 minutes ago, BonusVFR said:

One thing to keep in mind about hard bags for the 5th gen is how fat your ass is!  You know the bags!  . 

I hear you, talk about wide ;)

väskor3.jpg

• Member Contributer

That is a sexy "bottom"!

I was stunned about how much girth my hard bags added even with only relatively smaller bags.  I think I put the actual numbers in a post on VFRD somewhere.  I believe my Wing is actually narrower at the "Hips" than my VFR, but that is part of the design criteria for that GW.  Just another one more factor to consider when upgrading to hard bags.

more Beetles in another color

IMG_2832_zpssmgc3s0e.jpg

IMG_2833_zpsynk67f2c.jpg

And in action! 

IMG_20160313_152751582_HDR_zpsqyj7fgon.j

I think they look great, and don't stick out too far.   The small lid openings make it more difficult to pack.   You basically have to pack into them and remove items one at a time.  

While not removable in the traditional sense, there are only three bolts holding them on, and after a few times, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove or install.   

• Member Contributer

Someone asked how the hard bags hold up in a crash at speed. I can testify that they can take it and survive. I hit a deer on I74 near Urbana IL at ~65mph. Although they looked like they had been sanded with 10 grit sandpaper they did not open up or break up. And I believe they remained attached to the bike. (I'd have to consult my fabulous wing man, MotorMike; I was out for about 24hrs.)

When I go on a long ride (2,000 to 7500 mi) I do a lot of camping. Two Givi 41 L side bags and a Givi 36 L top bag has allowed my to be gone for 4+ weeks. That combo has room for tire repair kit, mini air compressor, electrical meter, spare levers and a spare left riders peg plus the usual clothing and camping gear. And I can keep it all locked up for the night or for a walk or meal with little to worry about.

And they make great frame sliders.:ph34r:

right bag.JPG

Campground on Noxon Resevior.JPG

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the cases were scuffed and could be sold on no problemo.............

IMAG5004.jpg

the frame spars did not though.....

Earlier, the left case got a bit of "patina" as well...

a truck reversing is not funny......

IMAG4030.jpg

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Those pics make me sad Dutchy. Hope it can be restored to like-new condition.

The RedSlut is dead....Long live the RedSlut!

Check out the Ace of Spades thread for the details on her final tour.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

My god Dutchy.  You got touched down both sides on the same trip?

The latter picture was ~2 months prior to my Ace of Spades tour.

That van stopped on a one lane road (with passing places), stopped and reversed w/o checking his mirrors. He stopped 1 feet too late. Just enough to bump me....

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 12/29/2016 at 11:39 AM, seth89 said:

I hear you, talk about wide ;)

väskor3.jpg

My riding buddy, Lon, who is married to a real farmer's daughter so he ought to know, says that, from the rear, my fifth gen with Givi 41L hardbags mounted looks like the view, from the rear, of a pregnant cow. Luckily, when I'm riding I don't have to look at it. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Jon28 said:

Really like those mirrors.  I remember a thread about those a long time ago.  I really want a set.  Anyone have that information handy?

The RC36 and 1998-99 5th gen came with "condom mirros". It is the 2000-01 (aka Y2K) mirrors you want. EMGO make cheaper replicas.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, Dutchy said:

The RC36 and 1998-99 5th gen came with "condom mirros". It is the 2000-01 (aka Y2K) mirrors you want. EMGO make cheaper replicas.

I have the 00 mirrors which are great.  I should have been more specific.  I remember a thread about GSXR mirrors w turn signals being made to fit the 5th gens.  Hard to believe my bike is so old now LOL

• Member Contributer

I don't recall if there was a specific build thread but I can give you a quick overview. First off, buy the Suzuki mirrors, aftermarket SUCK! '00,'01 mirrors are needed. Remove (or break) glass and take apart, you only need the base and stalk. On the Gixxer mirror, take the lens off and take the housing off the stalk. Make the best use of all the hardware to mount the Gixxer mirror on the VFR stalk. If you de-dumbo, you can make the turn signal bulb housing fit into the Gixxer mirror. It won't go naturally, you have to make it work. Run the wires outside the VFR stalk and into the upper fairing, then cover with heat shrink tubing and run it to the regular connector. 

Archived