Need help deciding if I should switch to a VFR

14thumper

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, windyrun said:

i'm no mechanic, but that lower hose nearest the residue looks askew and not clamped properly to the pipe .

it also looks like the leak is coming from the gasket connection between the two metal parts  

Initially I thought it was coming from the hose but also felt it might be from the metal parts (the other picture below shows this better).  It's possible air caused it to weep rearward while riding it.  The dealer tech looked at it and felt the hose clamp and thought it was a little loose compared to what it should be.  He tightened it some and wiped the surfaces clean and I'll keep an eye on it and if it leaks further I'll bring it in.  Hopefully this is it and I'm actually pretty disappointed about this from a brand new bike.  I know things happen but I've been riding a long time and never encountered this with any of the new bikes I've purchased.

IMG_0248.JPG

And here's my Interceptor's stable mate.  Bought it new in September for a pretty good deal (while actually looking for the Interceptor lol).  I like both bikes a lot so far but the CB is a bit more fun for horsing around lol

IMG_5203.JPG

34 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

Use the part number that's on the Honda website as accessories for the Interceptor, there should be only one.

Yep, I saw that.  Looking at online parts house websites I see two part #'s listed, one (as on Honda's website) ends in 10 the other 11 so I didn't know if there was a revision to the part or not.

Yep, I saw that.  Looking at online parts house websites I see two part #'s listed, one (as on Honda's website) ends in 10 the other 11 so I didn't know if there was a revision to the part or not.

I'd go with the Honda one to be on the safe side.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, 14thumper said:

And here's my Interceptor's stable mate.  Bought it new in September for a pretty good deal (while actually looking for the Interceptor lol).  I like both bikes a lot so far but the CB is a bit more fun for horsing around lol

IMG_5203.JPG

thats a sharp looking bike you got there !

Not sure about those bars though---do they really angle up like that or is it just the photo?

• Member Contributer
On 12/24/2016 at 2:30 PM, jhenley17 said:

Supercharge it? You say that like I can just pull up a web page and have one at my door next week emoji28.png

Nobody said it would be easy, lol.  I avoided this mod because the last thing I "need" is more power.  The VFR doesn't need more weight, either.  I constantly find myself in a struggle to take weight off my bikes, but then find an attraction to a new farkle that I "need" to add.  My VFR is probably close to stock weight after removing the exhaust but adding everything else.

18 hours ago, windyrun said:

thats a sharp looking bike you got there !

Not sure about those bars though---do they really angle up like that or is it just the photo?

They angle up some but nothing that seems funny.  It's actually quite comfy but I tend to prefer upright seating on bikes.  I quite enjoy walking into the garage and seeing two bikes with single sided swingarms.  It's a feature I really like.  I have to admit the V4 is addicting though!

Of course I had to sell a couple bikes and an older car I had to make it all happen but that's how it goes.

IMG_5206.JPG

So, at 470 miles now I just did the first oil change.  Step1, remove engine lol

Is there an OEM oil filter tool folks use?  I have nothing that fits in there.  I managed to get it out ok but really need a tool to get this done properly.

Should. Don't know the 8th gen so much, but if it's anything like my 03, then should be just fine. That'll slip right in the spaces and let you use a ratchet and extension to loosen the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a small ratchet adapter now, the one-size metal cup type. The original filter was on so tight that even that couldn't grip tight enough. I didn't have anything else handy and ended up straining myself while bending a screwdriver and shredding the filter body before it came off.

10 hours ago, 14thumper said:

So, at 470 miles now I just did the first oil change.  Step1, remove engine lol

Is there an OEM oil filter tool folks use?  I have nothing that fits in there.  I managed to get it out ok but really need a tool to get this done properly.

The Honda wrench is a good fit and does not slip. The nut allows you to use a torque wrench to tighten the filter. The wrench comes in a kit with the oil filter: part #: 15010-MCE-H51.

honda-oil filter.jpg

4 hours ago, npracer said:

The Honda wrench is a good fit and does not slip. The nut allows you to use a torque wrench to tighten the filter. The wrench comes in a kit with the oil filter: part #: 15010-MCE-H51.

honda-oil filter.jpg

Oh sweet, I just ordered it.  Thanks!!

Archived