I need some guidance from the collective...

If you really are set on having an adventure, there's a Multi in the classifieds. Not new but only 6k miles.
We have a saying at my house...if you think life is dull, your car/bike is not old enough and you're not driving far enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That is a great looking bike and the mileage is amazing for bike of that age.

After leading the Ducati demo rides the last couple of years I think i would want a 2015 or newer with the 160 hp and other doodads and geegaws.  I really liked that bike.

Still may take the ST1300 with 110,000 miles. ;-)

Really trying to find the flaws in a Triumph Explorer right now.

2 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

\

My brother owns a motorbike repair shop.  New era Triumphs are always there with odd problems.

• Member Contributer

Your ST1300 may not be a bad choice... 

if anything was duff, it would have broken by now no? You know her inside out, a trusted companion goes a long way..

Should she fail completely during the trip, how long would it take you to acquire another motorcycle?

You contact "us" on VFRD, it might take 3 days including a nice T-bone steak at a local restaurant and yous are on your way again..

So you might miss one of your targets, c'est la vie..

I failed to reach...

Kry%C5%BEi%C5%B3_kalnas_(G%C3%B3ra_Krzy%

(not religious by a mile, but this was a "must see")

Test the alternator and RR, chuck in a spare and you are good to go..

• Member Contributer
On 12/13/2016 at 3:08 AM, timmythecop said:

My brother owns a motorbike repair shop.  New era Triumphs are always there with odd problems.

That Triumph Expedition has shaft drive (perfect for an 11,000 miles trip) and electronic cruise control possibly better than shaft drive but also possibly something that needs frequent repairs on the Trumpet.

• Member Contributer

Some food for thought:

On 12/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, Sweeper said:

Ride the ST to California, borrow Chris's CB and ride it to Alaska.  The CB has the same ergos and weight as the Multi without all that pesky horsepower. 

The CB gets my vote and will accelerate up to triple digits, but hits a wall around 105mph (so I have been told :pinocchio:).   The tank range is over 200 miles.  Mileage is worse mileage at faster speeds, but probably not enough to rule it out.  It will probably still outrun more thirsty bikes with exception to the ST (for that matter, I would rule out thirsty bikes with small tanks on your list).  I went down two teeth on the rear sprocket with JT steel and a new EK 3D Z series chain and the bike is totally transformed.  The drive train is smooth as silk without the kinky stock chain rattling around and top speed is now theoretically 114mph.  Mount some Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s and you get a track ready tire that will also do light trail work without issue on a bike that is just simple and silly at the same time.  The benefit of switching out half way is this will limit scheduled time needing to maintain a motorcycle during the trip (tires, oil, etc).  A low power bike is considerably nicer to tires, although your right wrist still has a say.

On 12/10/2016 at 2:48 PM, slo1 said:

used Tiger 800's are getting cheap....... and the 650 Versys will do anything a Strom will with more comfort imho. Smaller DS will do just fine riding with a Road King and the low speed limits in Canada.

A Versys or Wee Strom would be a CB500 with more power, faster triple digit speeds, similar Japanese reliability, and most of the same lightweight fun.  In hindsight, I should have bought a Versys to keep up with you hooligans chasing GSXRs on the Foothills.  Then I remember that I don't even do that on the VFR because I do that stuff on a certain BMW at VIR, and the 500 is for a different purpose, but I digress.  I don't think you should underestimate the benefit of reliability for a trip like this.  For that matter, are you sure you want to do this alongside a Harley?  Also consider your knowledge (and your Uncle's) of the bikes in question and combined experience fixing each bike in question on the side of the road (or lack of need to do so).  On the other hand, you may want to consider going all in, and buy the exact same bike as your Uncle's and then carry common failure parts (if feasible).  A mix of SAE and metric toolkits is inefficient use of space and spare parts (ie how cool was it when Matt's caliper bolts fell out and Christian pulled redundant bolts from his subframe to reattach the caliper).  At the very least, duplicate tools can be helpful, as well.  A Motus would be cool, but consider you might need to abandon it in backwoods Alaska and ride 2-up with your Uncle for lack of knowledge, support, and parts along the way.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:15 AM, CornerCarver said:

That is a great looking bike and the mileage is amazing for bike of that age.

After leading the Ducati demo rides the last couple of years I think i would want a 2015 or newer with the 160 hp and other doodads and geegaws.  I really liked that bike.

Still may take the ST1300 with 110,000 miles. ;-)

The Explorer is a Triumph:  that is the flaw.  I'm sure Kimball overlooked this when he bought his, but for the fire-sale price it was a no-brainer.  A major complaint repeatedly heard from the Triumph crew is the several week to month delay to obtain replacement parts, even common failure items.  I don't know if this has changed in recent years, but this kept me from buying a Triumph as a do-it-all bike back when I could only have just one motorcycle.  A Street Triple has always been on the top of my next buy list, but only as a second or third bike in the stable.

And of course, everything Leon says is true.

On 12-12-2016 at 10:07 PM, CornerCarver said:

I know that is WWII was held today that we wouldn't have video of all the Harleys riding through the forest and over bombed out roads of Europe because a different design would be chosen but they do have the history of being able to get it accomplished with pretty much the same bike they are selling today.

The HD may have the same looks as the ones produced during WW2 but under the skin a lot have changed. In fact HD is way ahead of the competition in certain areas. They are the first mayor brand to have produced an electric motorcycle, the LiveWire. The next big thing will be autonomous vehicles and again it is Harley Davidson to be the first to have produced an autonomous motorcycle:

• Member Contributer

They have to make the electric bike Autonomous. No Harley owner would ride a bike that didn't make their ears bleed or drip oil.

• Member Contributer

Rosso even though that is a joke (and a funny one with video evidence to boot) the first part of your post rings a bit true. Harley has had stainless brake lines, led lighting and other "advanced" standard items for long period of time.  Many of them may be related to styling touches (such as their clever fuel tank caps, fuel gauges, keyless start and alarm functions) but they woudl be welcome on the bikes that I am shopping and Honda could add a few bits to their larger bikes that already weigh close to 600 pounds.

For a trip you mention, if not a bike you already have, I think a BIG BMW GS (1100,1150 or 1200) would do it in style comfortable whit no chain adjust/oiling issues :wink:

But a other bike that I think would be nice to try, as its a VFR (we are on VFRD after all), for a trip like this is the 800X Crossrunner whit a set of DS tires on it.

But yes, the new Africa twin (or even a older one) is a great bike! You did not get the Yamaha 750 SuperTenere, that might be a bit more comfortable for longer riding distance than the AT (seat comfort), so its out...

• Member Contributer

The 800X is not available in the US.

I also have issues with that video in the OP....his hp & torque figures are waaaay short, unless they've totally neutered the 1200X in the US.

Africa Twin gets my vote, with the Pan as the 2nd choice but you know your own situation and are best placed to figure it out.

Best of luck.

Just got a message from Big Number One in B'ham. Year end closeouts on Ducati. Just in case Santa needs a little help CC.

• Member Contributer

Going to ride a couple of BMW's this afternoon...GS, GSA and S1000XR...maybe ride a Triumph Explorer tomorrow.

Then probably buy a Victory Vizion Touring model to ride with the Harley. :wink:

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Can you say "zero ground clearance"?

Fine on the highway...

It doesn't matter if your riding partner is on a Harley Utra Glide then we can only travel at that pace.  Even with the better ground clearance offered by a VFR800 I would rather slow down and dodge the deeper holes than to count on the ground clearance to plow over/through them.

Regardless, I am still hoping to find a bike that I will keep beyond this event and not just a bike that I want to sell once I return.

Thoughts thus far:

Anyone could do this on a BMW GS/GSA

I don't want to be just anyone

There are a lot of good to great bikes available right now

May just roll with my 100k+ 2003 ST1300 just because.  It weighs less than; 1. Indian Roadmaster, 2. Victory Vision Touring, actually less than most other full dress US made bikes

700lbs is still a lot of weight to push around on questionable surfaces around the arctic circle and north

Triumph Explorer is next up to test ride.  Can an Aprilia Tuono 1100 be far behind?  Not sure how close to Knoxville the nearest Aprilia dealer is located.

• Member Contributer
On 12/16/2016 at 2:56 PM, Sweeper said:

Just a couple of things that I came across today. Maybe hold out for the new Multi 950.

IMG_3301.PNG

Like that he made, not so much that it has already been done but still like that Victory.

• Member Contributer

You have two problems: getting there and then what about Alaska and the roads way up north.  When I went in Alaska in 2010 I only had 3 weeks but we still did 4,000 miles in Canada/Alaska on the bikes plus another 3,000 with a trailer from San Diego to Canadian Border, and 1,500 miles on a ferry in order to save time tires and asses.  So many things to consider ....read some of the ride reports on advrider. 

Any bike can do it BUT.........................................

We took KLRs which you could leave in a ditch forever if things went to hell.  We left some bikes for Dead on the main Alcan highway when we hit 20 mile stretches of gravel and frost heaves. And then the bad roads and dirt in the rain.  Rained every day except one for three weeks!

So when I go again I will take an African Twin or my trusty and disposable KLR.  I would take an adventure bike for sure with fairly decent suspension travel and lots of gas.

gallery_2144_5543_262538.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bonus I have read about 30 accounts of various transAlaskan rides and how they prepared (body, bike and gear) and what they would have done differently.  You have been there and I greatly value your thoughts (I think I read a ride report from that trip of your several years ago) but eventually I just have to do it.

My uncle has been planning this for about 4-5 years.  Several Hog riders have done it and he will too.

That being said, I would love love love an Africa Twin but it seems hardly necessary for an 11,000 mile trek when the AT will shine off the pavement and the HD will shine on it.

I think I can do this on damn near anybike available today.  So we will find out if I am capable or delusional.

Dunning-Kruger Effect is a distinct possibility. :goofy:

Most likely incident will be a low speed tip over in Alaska. Harley's handle those fairly well compared to plastic covered bikes like your ST.
What about a Versys 1k?

• Member Contributer

If my bike budget is $20k'ish then I can certainly make a Versys very capable and stay well under budget. Good 1000Ninja engine and more in the vein of what I am looking for I think (99% street bias and a tall sporty bike).

Kind of want cruise control even though the odds of getting two bikes synched on the same cruise speed are inversely proportional to the distance to the next fuel stop...

Archived