do i need a stock muffler to pass CA emissions?

thereisnospoon

• Member Contributer

Hello!

I didn't find a specific answer - if someone knows where one is, let me know. also wasn't sure which forum to post in...

I have a Y2K that I need to register in California (from NM). bike is bone stock But I have an erion slip on, with the usual tag that states "off road use only"

for passing emissions testing (and whatever other tailpipe tests), do I need to get or borrow a stock muffler?  I'm guessing so but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

There is no emissions testing.

If the DMV requires you get it inspected at CHP, you'll want to borrow a stock muffler for that. I have one if you need. Not sure if they'll refer you to CHP or not.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, thereisnospoon said:

can you elaborate a little? as in they don't even do an inspection? Thanks

I updated my post before you replied.

If you're a CA resident buying an out of state bike, you'll probably get referred to inspection at CHP (also bike must have 7500mi or more). If you are moving to CA, then it may be different.

If you're referred to CHP you can borrow one of my 2 stock 5th gen mufflers. I'm south OC so not too far.

• Member Contributer
Just now, thtanner said:

I updated my post before you replied.

If you're a CA resident buying an out of state bike, you'll probably get refereed to inspection at CHP. If you are moving to CA, then it may be different.

If you're refereed to CHP you can borrow one of my 2 stock 5th gen mufflers. I'm south OC so not too far.

ok, that makes sense. If they do, I may take you up on your offer! 

• Member Contributer

I bought an out-of-state ST1300 about ten years ago and registered it in California (before exporting it to Europe).  It had 10k miles on it or so at the time.  I took it to the Auto Club of Southern California (AAA), where all they were concerned with was that the chassis and engine numbers matched the documents, IIRC.  No "inspection" of anything.  Perhaps the CHP takes a more opportunistic view: their job is to enforce California law, so it will be harder for them to ignore things that they could (in theory) ticket you for. 

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Last bike I bought had Ohio title/plates with expired tags.  DMV just wanted to verify the VIN, and engine #. Just be nice to 'em, and you shouldn't have any problem.

• Member Contributer

AAA is the way to go, for sure. They actually try to work with you and make stuff go faster.

I've known several people that had to take their out of state bike to CHP inspection. So as they said go to AAA, be nice, and you probably won't have to deal with it.

Archived