2010 800 Overheating

UncleCranky

Hi all,

I've seen a few posts on 5th and 6th Gen overheats, but haven't seen the "Eureka" solution.  I've done some tests on my 2010 800, and I can't see which part of the cooling system is not functioning.  My problem is on warm days (over 27 Celcius), if the engine temp reaches high 80s (C) it will quickly climb to 106, fan comes on, temp will not drop below 100, and steadily gets hotter whether idling or riding in traffic. (I've shut it down after 115, have a rest for 30 mins, before continuing). Highway speeds will hold it at around 104 to 100.

Overflow level is fine, changed coolant (used both drain plugs), burped and check levels again, all OK.

After the coolant change, testing in the garage, ambient temp is 27 Celcius:

Start bike from dead cold (Engine temp "--")

Hold revs at about 2000.

Watch temp climb, thermostat opens at 80, both radiators have warm water flow.

Temp drops to 76, then climbs steadily.

Allow to idle, 1250 RPM.

Temp continues to rise steadily to 106, fan comes on. (About 15 minutes from thermostat open)

Temp drops to 96 (about 5 minutes), fan stops.

Temp rises to 106, fan comes on, drops to 96 (about 10 minutes), fan stops.

This cycle heating/fan/cooling cycle continues with the time it takes the temperature to drop extending until it just will not drop and climbs to 115+.

This cycle is the same on the highway, or in traffic.  "Normal" riding temp when it can control itself, is 86 deg C.

Sorry about the long waffle, but I just really want an answer, I cant enjoy my ride when I'm constantly looking at the temperature gauge.

• Member Contributer

From what I remember, there is a "hard stop" at 121C/250F at which point you need to be shutting down.  On days near 27C ambient you should not be anywhere near that.  These bikes all have different personalities, but mine usually hovers around 225F when she's caned a bit on hot days.

If you have explored everything you mention - you could always pop the thermostat out and make sure it's opening FULLY.  Put it on the stove in a pot of water with a thermometer.  Some t-stats have been known to get jammed up eventually.  If you just want to be safe, replace it outright.  

When you refill the coolant next, consider an additive like Water Wetter.  It's a bandage that doesn't fix the root cause, but it might help. 

Other options - is the engine running well?  I'm no expert, but I've always heard running lean will cause abnormally high engine temps.

Good luck.

Thankyou Carlitos92, sometimes its the obvious things that are hardest to find on your own.  Thermostat is only partially opening. New thermostat and radiator cap (just to be sure) ordered.  I will reply when I've tested it.  Thanks again - Cranky.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4 December 2016 at 8:28 PM, UncleCranky said:

Thankyou Carlitos92, sometimes its the obvious things that are hardest to find on your own.  Thermostat is only partially opening. New thermostat and radiator cap (just to be sure) ordered.  I will reply when I've tested it.  Thanks again - Cranky.

Cranky

Did you resolve your overheating issue?

• 11 months later...

Honestly these bikes just run hot, don't get tooooo caught up in the figure.

Mine is constantly around 100-105degrees in traffic and it runs beautifully.. I know it probably won't put your mind but I replaced thermostat, flushed coolant piping & radiators, put new coolant, burped it, made no difference.. 

Archived