Any VFRD members in Salmon Arm area?

choco

My daughter and family are moving near Salmon Arm and someday my wife and I may move there also. Was wondering if anyone here lives or rides in that area?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like a promising route from Celista, where my daughter lives, northwest along Agate Bay Rd, to Louise Creek and then up to Valemont on 5 to Robson, then Jasper, then south on 93 to Lake Louise, then west on 1 to Golden and Revelstoke and back to Celista. A two or three day ride, I'm thinking. Anybody done that route.

My brother and I did that route and more, starting out from Duvall and we took a side trip into Banff, but then back to Revelstoke and down to the Nakusp on Arrow Lake on into Nelson and then home. But I haven't done the loop above so If I move up there I'll be hounding you guys to come with me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, choco said:

Looks like a promising route from Celista, where my daughter lives, northwest along Agate Bay Rd, to Louise Creek and then up to Valemont on 5 to Robson, then Jasper, then south on 93 to Lake Louise, then west on 1 to Golden and Revelstoke and back to Celista. A two or three day ride, I'm thinking. Anybody done that route.

My brother and I did that route and more, starting out from Duvall and we took a side trip into Banff, but then back to Revelstoke and down to the Nakusp on Arrow Lake on into Nelson and then home. But I haven't done the loop above so If I move up there I'll be hounding you guys to come with me.

Lee, I have driven or ridden all those roads.  Last year bought a car in Edmonton... flew up in the morning and drove it back to Vancouver via Valemont that afternoon. 

Highway 5 up through Valemont thru Jasper is very scenic, but there are some stretches on 2 lane that can get clogged with traffic & motorhomes in the summer months.  A fair bit of construction and delays last June when I drove back from Edmonton.  Some beautiful scenery - and Jasper to Lake Louise is the Icefields Parkway - stunning scenery.  Heavier police enforcement between Jasper and Lake Louise... park wardens can write tickets too :)

Not too many good twisty bike roads but some nice, fast sweepers and wonderful scenery... and it can get pretty busy (especially around Jasper and Lake Louise/Banff) in the summer.  Access to Lake Louise can be blocked at the highway on really busy weekends.  Book accommodation ahead of time on weekends... campsites fill up early as well.

Best twisty riding road may be Agate Bay Rd from Scotch Creek to Louis Creek - did that years ago and had a lot of fun, and no traffic (or enforcement).

Bring a camera - and coming back through Golden is always fun,

Tony.

Archived