2015+ Model - Heated Grips issue

Skids

• Member Contributer

My recently purchased 2015 model 800X has an issue with the heated grips in that, basically, they don't. Heat that is. At least nowhere near enough. I can barely feel the heat once cruising, even on the top setting, level 5. 

I've been back to my dealer, who are being very proactive in trying to sort this. They tried a replacement control unit....no difference. They've now been speaking to Honda UK as their own demo bike has the same issue. Honda state that after leaving the bike at idle for 5 minutes with the grips on level 5, they should be approx 40 deg C. The demo bike, and mine, is barely reaching 20 deg C and of course, as soon as you start moving, that temp drops markedly. Honda UK have authorised my dealer to completely replace the heated grips on their demo bike, wiring and everything to see if that cures it. If it does, they'll do mine.

Curiously, my dealer has had a notice from Honda UK that they are having the same issues on the new Africa Twin and that they've narrowed it down to the aluminium handlebars leaching the heat away. Older/other bikes use steel bars that don't leach to the same extent. Despite my dealer pointing out that this is probably the issue on the Cr, Honda UK say they haven't had enough complaints from customers to warrant any further action on the Cr.

So if there's any UK Cr owners who think their heated grips are not producing enough heat (my OEM VFR1200F ones are ridiculously hot on their top setting), please complain to your local Honda dealer and maybe we can kick Honda into doing something a bit more realistic about this rather than just replace the grips with others that will most likely suffer from exactly the same issue. 

Cheers. :beer:

I heard stuff like this and I wonder who makes these decisions.  "Well we know that other bikes that are basically the same of this problem and the solution is X."  "No ignore that and spend the maximum amount of money to replace the whole system based on no data."

Archived