Multiple Bike Disorder (MBD)

• Member Contributer
On 9/26/2019 at 5:04 PM, Dutchy said:

Merhaba!!!!!

You may know that our King is "from Orange/Nassau" 

So get that KTM over to the Netherlands PRONTO!!  No need to SC that beast eh? :tongue:

Hi Leon, I hope to visit Netherlands again. The KTM is a riot, no SC is needed indeed 😀

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With weather turning cold, used bikes are cheap..
Picked up a nearly stock 2001 SV650S, minor body work scratches, 
needs carb sync, oil/filter/coolant/brake fluid change, 17k miles. 
$1250 cash.

WNlu2S6.jpg

oFgyxAB.jpg

Lots of potential.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, cat0020 said:

With weather turning cold, used bikes are cheap..
Picked up a nearly stock 2001 SV650S, minor body work scratches, 
needs carb sync, oil/filter/coolant/brake fluid change, 17k miles. 
$1250 cash.

WNlu2S6.jpg

oFgyxAB.jpg

Lots of potential.

Looks like a trackday bike to me! Sweet buy!  Just a little jealous.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VifferJ said:

Just added another Honda to the stable, a new leftover 2018 CBR1000RR SP. 😎

I gotta say your MBD is certifiable as a severe case 🙂 

• Member Contributer

Added this '76 CB750F last summer, just getting around to cleaning it up. It's all original, locally owned bike, completely unmolested. Owner was retiring to Oregon and didn't want to drag it along.

I like the look of the '75-'76 SS with wire wheels, before they went to the Comstars. It's just a classic.

cb750.thumb.jpg.f62675ecde5559365321703f5aa383d3.jpg

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Added this '76 CB750F last summer, just getting around to cleaning it up. It's all original, locally owned bike, completely unmolested. Owner was retiring to Oregon and didn't want to drag it along.

I like the look of the '75-'76 SS with wire wheels, before they went to the Comstars. It's just a classic.

Really nice looking example! Glad to see bikes like this in OEM condition.

I’m suffering a strong compulsion to add a second bike to the garage. Maybe something naked to complement my ‘98 5th Gen, or maybe something racier. I have several prospects in mind, and I have paralysis by analysis.

Would you please give me your positive and negative opinions for any of these models with which you have experience?

DR350SE 1994+

CB919 2004+
VTR1000F Superhawk

RC51 SP2 2002+
Z900RS

R Nine T Pure

Wild card:  HD Dyna Super Glide Sport 🤯

• Member Contributer

IMG-20190420-WA0032.thumb.jpg.cbe169647b6b8505b68424f2fd6c117a.jpg

Negatives:

1) Fuel range 110-120 miles

2) Impossible to stop somewhere and have nobody come up to you and talk about the bike

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yep, I'm jealous.

Not quite there yet here in Maine, not much snow around but tons of sand on the roads.

One good rain storm and the bikes are coming out. 

Officially diagnosed with MBD this week when I added my “wild card” ride:

IMG_2944-1.thumb.jpg.c24703b8090f67ff0741e58c45c45e43.jpg

2004 Dyna Super Glide Sport EFI aka FXDX/I

Factory Showas adjustable for PL, C and R up front and PL and R in the rear. 😱

Near polar opposite to my trusty 98 VFR800:

D8B6295D-FAB7-4C8F-BEF2-C9D278D0A290.thumb.jpeg.2c8cbdaca35e49dfd247726395646fe0.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Also on the topic of "alternative" choices: I present to you my latest acquisition, a 2001 Honda Silverwing 600. The water-cooler FI twin cylinder head is just like a VFR, but this has a belt-driven CVT transmission. 70,000km, and another example of "it looked better on eBay...". Going to have my work cut out for me with this one, the PO rode it till it started giving grief I think, an oil leak and also burnt stator (hey, it is a Honda!) for starters, and it has been left in the elements for a few years so the corrosion levels are epic. Then there are the incorrect fasteners all over, missing fasteners, or (shock!) using silicone sealer to glue body parts back on....bleurgh.

IMG_1054.jpg

Since 2013, I've been commuting back and forth between Phila, PA and Brooklyn, NY.
Motorcycles are better suited for long distance on the highway, but lack the luggage carrying capacity.
Additionally, once I get to Brooklyn, bumper-to-bumper traffic pattern occurs more often than I like, 

clutch-n-shift become old really quickly in the gridlock traffic. Most of my commute within NYC metro have been done on a maxi-scoot.

fxuIHN9.jpg
My Burgman 650 was purcahsed under $2k, with 6k miles on odometer back in 2013; now over 23k mi.  

Triple digit speed capable, plenty of underseat storage, twist-n-go, no-clutch-shifting; 

not to mention that my wife gets to sit on a much comfortable seat than my other motorcycles, even has a backrest.
Sure most motorcyclists don't consider much of scooters, but in reality, I prefer the Maxi-scooter over many of my other regular motorcycles. 

2-wheel vehicles are about maneuverability in traffic and efficiency, scooters are better in both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The evolution of my fleets, started with the Reflex, added the Grand Vista for Serena, technically not mine but it was in my garage and I got to ride it. -

calatrava.jpg

Added the venerable Nighthawk 650 to the fleet.  Believe it or not I was able to pack those three motorbikes, two kayaks, three bicycles, my lawnmower plus my car into that 1-1/2 car garage.  Plus there was a workbench in there. -

The-09-Fleet_zps3b4be95d.jpg

The next fleet iteration, after selling off the Reflex and Grand Vista I rode the Nighthawk for a few years before adding the Ninja 650 -

n-and-nh-2.jpg

For some crazy reason I sold my Nighthawk 650 and just rode the Ninja 650 for a few years before I added a Nighthawk 750 as I needed another bike for a visiting friend and planned road trip.

NandN_zpsfnfvm0tx.jpg

The Nighthawk 750 was sold after a mere four or five months of ownership.  Not because it was a bad bike I just didn't have room to store it.  Added the Versys 650 as I wanted a touring bike with hard luggage.

vday7_zps5zvsn0fs.jpg

How did I resolve my storage problems... I purchased a smaller car!

06underoneroof_zpsoxghszb3.jpg

The pinnacle of the fleet, 2012 Ninja 650, 2016 Versys 650 and the newest addition, the 2007 Honda Interceptor.

03fleet_zps8w9d9tzl.jpg

Today it's only Versys 650 and the Interceptor and an honorary designation for the snowblower.

spacer.png

I was planning on adding a third bike last fall with contenders being a Honda Hawk GT, Honda 919, Suzuki SV650 and a Suzuki Intruder.  I regret not getting that 919.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I left the house at O dark thirty this morning, ~500 miles later I have a new to me RC51 in the garage! 🙂

2002 SP2, never down, ~19k miles, got it for $6200, I am soooo stoked!! 

thumbnail_IMG_9975.jpg?width=1920&height

thumbnail_IMG_9974.jpg?width=1920&height

thumbnail_IMG_9977.jpg?width=590&height=

thumbnail_IMG_9979.jpg?width=590&height=

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

I left the house at O dark thirty this morning, ~500 miles later I have a new to me RC51 in the garage! 🙂

The smile of a new RC-51 owner is a truly satisfying smile. You're going to have a lot of fun, congratulations.

IMG_4201.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

The smile of a new RC-51 owner is a truly satisfying smile. You're going to have a lot of fun, congratulations.

IMG_4201.JPG

Is that the racetrack at Grass Valley?  

Beautiful photo.  

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Is that the racetrack at Grass Valley?  

Beautiful photo.  

Thank you Cogs. Have not yet been to Grass Valley. It's Thunderhill, very early morning Sept. 2018, track day at the west circuit. I should photoshop out the portapotty to make it better...

• Member Contributer
On 2/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, vfrcapn said:

In 1978 I rode pillion from Townsville to Adelaide (around 3,200km) on a 78 model. It was really what got me in to motorcycling. I hadn’t even got a learners licence but my mate risked letting me ride on some of the deserted roads in outback NSW. Still here to tell the tale. Thanks Chris if you are still out there 😊

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VifferJ said:

thumbnail_IMG_9974.jpg?width=1920&height

thumbnail_IMG_9977.jpg?width=590&height=

thumbnail_IMG_9979.jpg?width=590&height=

Congrats! Glad you found one. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Congrats! Glad you found one. 

Thx Mike, indeed, it's been a great buying journey and I'm looking forward to many happy years ahead with her! 🙂 

Archived