Rattling 2Bros. Slip-On

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

The 2Bros. Slip-On on my '98 rattles inside. I'm figuring it needs to be repacked which I have no experience doing. I want to stop it from rattling without changing the loudness of it. Is that possible?

• Member Contributer

2 Bros sells repack kits. It not too difficult if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. The only thing you'll really need other than the kit is a decent rivet gun, a drill and some black hi-temp silicone.

• Member Contributer

Thanks MBrane 

I'm concerned it'll end up being too quiet.

What would the silicone be used for?

• Member Contributer

If it's an old design, like the C2 oval, the fiberglass matt is wrapped around a perforated steel tube "core", which is retained in place by the cast alloy end caps.  The core can rust and loosen over time (it wasn't stainless on mine), which could rattle.  I have the "quiet tip baffle" in mine, which can rattle a but when everything else gets loose.  Drill the rivets out and see...

If you re-pack it, it will change the sound.  Odds are that the packing is so old now that it is hardly doing any muffling!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH

I'm quite certain that it is a C2.

I've never done anything with rivets before so it ought to be interesting.

Will the holes end up bigger after drilling the rivets out?

• Member Contributer

TBR used stainless steel pop rivets, which can be a bugger to drill out, but if you choose the right size drill bit you shouldn't have to enlarge the holes.  You can get new rivets at McMaster-Carr, I believe.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Are the rivets likely to be different then what I can get locally?

• Member Contributer

I actually replaced all of the rivets in mine with M4 stainless buttonhead screws, but before I decided to do that I think I had encountered some difficulty finding stainless steel large flange rivets locally.  YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH. I also would like to use screws. Did they stay tight?

Archived