Throttle Locks--anyone use them?

MsRN98

Hi all!

I'm going Saturday to pick up my 2000 VFR, then ride it 5 hours back (in 40-degree weather with strong winds) to my home in Madison, WI. For this and other long highway rides I'm considering a throttle lock. I'd love a Brake Away, but they've nothing tested for VFRs; Kaoko likewise list no options. That leaves me with Throttlemeister, whose products I've played with on showroom bikes; they seem relatively straightforward and well-built. Does anyone have experience with them (or another suggestion)? How hard are they to install--could I do it in 30-60 minutes, or are there hurdles I might encounter? As to function, I'm really looking more for something that will let me rest my throttle hand once in a while than to maintain a set speed for hours on end.

• Member Contributer

I have a Go Cruise on my bike, which I use occasionally. I'm not in love with it, but it's (relatively) inexpensive and trivial to install. It does take a bit of twiddling to set the friction properly. It will enable your objective of occasional relief. Even just a few seconds to shake out your right hand and improve the circulation is helpful.

http://2wheelride.com/GoCruise_throttle%20control2.html

I picked up my VFR in similar circumstances to yours at a similar time of year, but my ride home was only half as long as yours. Still, I don't know how I would have managed it without a set of ATV-style handlebar mittens ($30?) I picked up for that very purpose. More on this theme here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/80267-hand-warmers

• Member Contributer

I (had) a Scotoiler crampbuster (a paddle) and a gocruise on my redslut.

On my 5,500km Baltic trip in August I used the gocruise exactly ZERO times, the crampbuster regularly..

Ymmv. :-)

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

I (had) a Scotoiler crampbuster (a paddle) and a gocruise on my redslut.

I know a lot of folks have had great experiences with the paddle-style mechanisms. The one knock I've heard against them is a concern that they increase the possibility of accidental throttle input.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/70651-cramp-buster-vs-cruise-control/#comment-828059

I have a Go Cruise on my bike, which I use occasionally. I'm not in love with it, but it's (relatively) inexpensive and trivial to install. It does take a bit of twiddling to set the friction properly. It will enable your objective of occasional relief. Even just a few seconds to shake out your right hand and improve the circulation is helpful.

http://2wheelride.com/GoCruise_throttle%20control2.html

I picked up my VFR in similar circumstances to yours at a similar time of year, but my ride home was only half as long as yours. Still, I don't know how I would have managed it without a set of ATV-style handlebar mittens ($30?) I picked up for that very purpose. More on this theme here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/80267-hand-warmers

As for the cold, I've been assured that the Held Race-Tex (Gore-Tex inner liner) gloves I bought will keep me plenty warm. I'll bring along liner gloves as well, but I'll think on your advice;the mittens may be worthwhile insurance.

• Member Contributer

I (and some others I've ridden with) have an NEP Throttle lock.  It's a non-metallic cam style lever that grips the throttle tube.  The last time I was in Cycle Gear they had them - about $20.  They're also on line.  Here's a Youtube video demonstrating one.  Best $20 I've spent on the bike.

The NEP throttle lock is what I remember from years ago; I'll see if my local CycleGear store carries it when I stop by to pick up armored jeans, armor for my A* Jaws jacket, and long johns. Otherwise the $10 Crampbuster will suffice, I think. (anyone remember what size fits VFR grips?). And then there's the handlebar mitts someone mentioned...and the Held airbag vest. And...

• Member Contributer

Although I use a Crampbuster I have thought about getting one but ultimately keep backing out of getting one. I did think I would get an OmniCruise but then I saw this one and it piqued my interest again, as this one cancels out when pulling the brake lever as well as a cancel button. Although it seems kind of big for the standard clip-on space and not sure I like the chrome look.

Although I use a Crampbuster I have thought about getting one but ultimately keep backing out of getting one. I did think I would get an OmniCruise but then I saw this one and it piqued my interest again, as this one cancels out when pulling the brake lever as well as a cancel button. Although it seems kind of big for the standard clip-on space and not sure I like the chrome look.

I've been on their website, as I like the concept too. Unfortunately, they don't have any they list as being compatible with any VFR model. I might call them and ask.

• Member Contributer

I've long used the cheapo, plastic VistaCruise:

s-l1000.jpg

I've got a Throttlemeister on my ST1300, but I prefer the simplicity of the VistaCruise.  There are several different models of VistaCruise, but this is the one that fits the 5th gen VFR.  The little "fork" sits between the throttle cables, preventing the rotation of the throttle lock.  Even this model can be a bit fiddly to install and adjust, so I'm not sure that is something I'd want to do in a parking lot five hours away from home. I've sometimes had to trim away the ridge on the throttle tube and move the grip outwards in order to get the proper clamping surface and reduce interference from the grip, but once installed my throttle can be locked solid--and snaps back freely when the VistaCruise is disengaged.

The ultimate in throttle lock simplicity is a large-diameter, large-section o-ring that fits in the gap between the end of the grip and the bar end weight (the yellow ones from Caterpillar were popular for this), but I've never tried one.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've had a Throttlemeister. I had some trouble keeping it properly adjusted & never was able to do the one hand method of engage/disengagement. It was very well made & also functions as the bar end weights. But it's  expensive.

I've also had the yellow Caterpillar o-ring. It wouldn't hold my throttle in any position.

I currently use just a short length (8"-10") of a medium gauge electrical wire wedged between the switch pod & grip with the ends twisted together. It creates an "always engaged condition" & doesn't look too good but it works! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have Throttlemeisters on all 3 of my VFRs.  They work OK, but for the price you can now buy a $20 Go Cruise that is universal and can move from bike to bike.  It does exactly the same thing as a Throttlemeister and works just as effectively.  Installation takes all of 1 minute.  I even use it on my Yamaha WR250R when droning down the highway.  If the Go Cruise had been out before I would have skipped the complexity of the Throttlemeisters.

• Member Contributer

If you do have to have one, do get the 2.0 version

go-cruise-2.jpg

and not the 1.0 as chances are it will break will fitting or moving to another bike

gocruise-4-800x600.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've owned throttle meister in the past.  It used to loosen easily, or it was kind of sticky...it would keep the throttle from closing easily even when loose.

I have this one now:  

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-throttle-lock-cruise-control-honda-models-w-31mm-od-bar-weights-incl-vfr800-02-cbr1000rr-05-cbr1100xx-blackbird-black-or-silver

hnd31_web.jpgKaoko is very nice, easy to use and I have less issues with it than throttlemeister.  I really like it.

I've owned throttle meister in the past.  It used to loosen easily, or it was kind of sticky...it would keep the throttle from closing easily even when loose.

I have this one now:  
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-throttle-lock-cruise-control-honda-models-w-31mm-od-bar-weights-incl-vfr800-02-cbr1000rr-05-cbr1100xx-blackbird-black-or-silver
hnd31_web.jpgKaoko is very nice, easy to use and I have less issues with it than throttlemeister.  I really like it.

Would it work with a 5th-Gen VFR?

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

If you do have to have one, do get the 2.0 version

go-cruise-2.jpg

and not the 1.0 as chances are it will break will fitting or moving to another bike

gocruise-4-800x600.jpg

Haven't seen one break yet Dutchy!  Honestly they are not even hard to take off your bike.  The old one is easier to use from the looks of it, and I would not be surprised if the 2.0 was more expensive as well.  They are only around $20 USD for the original version.

Stopped at my local CycleGear store today; I bought armored jeans, armored undershorts, and an Icon armored chest/back protector to wear under my semi-armored leather jacket. Also bought: a Sedici 10L tank bag, a CF tank protector, the smaller CrampBuster (hope it fits) and a VistaCruise (salespersons recommendation over the NEP product--probably because the VC costs more). Plus a pair of glove liners; I'm really feeling the cold moving in!

And then (finally)picked up a few rolls of coins and some snack-size baggies to put individual toll fares in.

317 miles home, with temps from 30-39°F. I wound up just using the Crampbuster, as I was already really tired by the time I got to Fort Wayne, and didn't want to spend the extra time on the VistaCruise. I'll probably still try to install it, as it would make adjusting my right mirror on the fly a safer proposition.

• Member Contributer
On 11/17/2016 at 4:48 PM, MsRN98 said:

Would it work with a 5th-Gen VFR?

Mine is a 2000...so, yes.  

BrakeAway worked just fine on my 1200.  I bought a unit built for a Suzuki Bandit.  It needed a bracket of sorts to get everything to line up properly, but it worked well for a few years (have since upgraded to electronic cruise control).

IMG_20160606_202459_copy_zps3lntop2p.jpg

IMG_20130723_220020_zps1020b595.jpg

Archived