Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

We left most of the casings just with a blasted finish.. In my opinion a plus on the Cooling factor.. And cooling is what you gonna need on a VF500..

Fabbed a VF750F bottom rad to fit within the headlight cluster for additional cooling,,

IMG_0752.JPG

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jrodrims27 said:

N-I-C-E, very, very nice!  They look really cool with the natural aluminum color.  Coincidentally, I had to replace only 3 valves myself when I rebuilt my 84 engine (before it blew up).  I wonder if it was the same 3, I replaced two rear exhausts and a front intake.  Anyway, awesome job, very well done!  I'm super jealous! I hope you'll be able to show us your final product and maybe even a video of it in real action.  

3 valves in the rear head, all in the same pot. Two exhaust and an Inlet. I think it was running lean on that one. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of pics when it's done. 

50 minutes ago, TheDutchy said:

We left most of the casings just with a blasted finish.. In my opinion a plus on the Cooling factor.. And cooling is what you gonna need on a VF500..

Fabbed a VF750F bottom rad to fit within the headlight cluster for additional cooling,,

IMG_0752.JPG

Nice looking bike, I do like the natural casings. Did you lacquer them? As yours is race ready why not enter too???

Great solution to the cooling, I was intending to fit a larger curved radiator and cut the fairing a little bit.

The small top radiator add-on realy did the trick on the VF500.. We predomantly use it on classic street track racing.. So lots of upshifts to maybe 4th gear and then back to 2nd or 1st.. Last race was at the 4hrs of Itterbeck, a 4hr endurance race. She held up nicely. Temperature cauge stayed within the first quart, maybe in between the first quart and halve range at pitstops. Engine used about 1 litre of oil during the whole 4 hour event.. Something you have to notice on endurance racing.. On normal 20 minute stints, the engine does not consume any oil, but on 4 hours of racing it realy evaporates the oil...

On the VF500 we blew two '85 engines... And all on the first races used within 20 minutes.. The top ends were no issue, both engines severed a conrod run out on #4.  The biggest issue is caused by the undersized oilpump on the early models.. The '86 version has a larger oilpump. Also the oilsump on the '86 is substantualy larger.. So gaet a '86 VF500FII oilpan and oilpump with sprocket.. (Sprocket on the 86 is also different from the early models)..  

Second is the carbrail.. I explained somewhere else on the board:

1 hour ago, sportstu said:

Nice looking bike, I do like the natural casings. Did you lacquer them? As yours is race ready why not enter too???

Great solution to the cooling, I was intending to fit a larger curved radiator and cut the fairing a little bit.

Thanks..

On the engine... No lacquer on the engine casings and heads.. A rough surface has a larger contact surface to cool down.. The lacquer would isolate the area.. I will shoot some pics on the engine this weekend.. We don't clean the engine for shining purpose.. We use it to go racing.. And after a couple of years, it still looks good.. And yeah... To me... Endurance means performance over looks.. The other project, a VFR RC24 endurance racer, the real deal... Was designed and raced the 24hrs of Bol D'or and Le Mans..

IMG_2691.JPG

So maybe that's what we ordinary VF500 owners should be doing. Trying to fit a bigger/better or additional radiator. If a VF500 can stand multiple endurance races with better cooling then it does point to heat being a major factor in longevity, which is common sense really. I have the override fan switch already fitted but maybe a second rad into the belly pan area might be possible too.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

So maybe that's what we ordinary VF500 owners should be doing. Trying to fit a bigger/better or additional radiator. If a VF500 can stand multiple endurance races with better cooling then it does point to heat being a major factor in longevity, which is common sense really. I have the override fan switch already fitted but maybe a second rad into the belly pan area might be possible too.

When I built this I had a lower VF750 radiator set aside to fit down behind the front wheel.  Never got around to it, but I might still do it for street use.  This old girl might have a couple track days in the future too, though.

gallery_6115_2003_87846.jpggallery_6115_2003_19432.jpg

gallery_6115_3620_2390.jpg

Great project you got going.  Keep it up.  I'm loving it, and wanted to show you why.

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, sportstu said:

That's a tidy one. Did you have to mount the fairing lower to clear the clip-ons. What shock are you using in there?

Yep that's correct.  Cowl down and forward, gauges up and forward.  I configured the Telefix clip-ons pretty low and forward but I don't want to limit the steering range.  The rear ride height is pretty high (via a Fox Twin-Clicker by the way) and I slid the forks (w/ Gold Valves) up a bit.  I never had any head shake, so I wasn't concerned about limiting the steer lock in case of a tank slapper.  I didn't run a steering damper either. 

Here you can see where I tucked the remote reservoir for the shock.  The 86 had a smaller coolant over flow tank and left that little space in the inner fender.

gallery_6115_3620_236318.jpg

• Member Contributer

I built that bike in 1999, not a lot of internet resources back then for detailed info.   I think Dale Walker was selling some kits?  I just built the best bike I could, with the parts I had and what I knew at the time.  I did recently score a filter adapter kit off of a 500 parts bike I got for free.  Not sure which bike it will go on, but probably the next 500 I build.  Or maybe a VF750F I built last year.  It is getting a full Sudco, Fox Shock and 1000R Comstars. 

I thought I'd start on the forks while I'm waiting for the modified gearbox shaft to be finished. I'm using VFR400NC30 fork lowers so that I can use VFR400 4 pot calipers bolted straight up but I need the forks to be much longer than VFR400 ones overall so I am going to use CBR600 F2 stanchions and cartridges. I have used this set up once before and it works well.

I bought a set of CBR forks which were in dire need of a rebuild, I had some VFR400 lowers from an old project. I've split lots of forks over the years but one of these beat me at the separation phase and as I only needed the stanchion I ended up cutting it.Image055.jpgImage056.jpg

The problem was that the slider bush was going inside the guide bush. No amount of heat and pressure helped. It's the first one I've failed at.

Image052.jpgThe NC30 lower is on the right, CBR600 on the left.Image051.jpgNC30 stanchion on the right. There's a big difference in the length but the travel is similar so it's no problem to interchange them.

Image053.jpgThe CBR cartridge has the top out spring set higher so I'm swapping the damper rod into the NC30 cartridge lower.

You would think that the CBR set up would have more available travel but the NC30 cartridge has 175mm against the CBR 170mm.

Image054.jpgThis is the difference in length when they are both fully extended.
I'm off to get new bushes, seals and some paint for the lowers now!

Yep, I have moved forward a little bit this week but not as much as I would have liked. I am still waiting for the return of my modified gear shaft as well as some bits that are at the platers before I can start the engine build so I have been cracking on with the chassis. I have now built the forks using a combination of bits from the early CBR and the NC30. Pics below. I have had the wheels coated and they look awesome. The pile of nice clean finished parts waiting for assembly is now bigger than the pile of grotty bits which makes me feel that we are getting there! Image058.jpgCompression stack coming out.Image059.jpgCBR on the left, alloy and plastic, NC30 on the right, all steel and heavy.

Image061.jpgThe NC30 piston has the rebound valve body at the top of the fork leg.

Image060.jpgCBR one on the left has the valve at the bottom with a long rod controlling the needle

Image064.jpgSprayed fork legs look great from a distance!

Image065.jpgGold of course

Image066.jpgMy shed is gettin full of shiny bits. I can't wait to get the motor done now.

I have ordered a 86 oil pump, sump pan and pick up pipe as advised by The Dutchy and I'm starting on the brakes next week if my gearbox parts are still not here. I should have the front end assembled by the end of the week but I can't do the rear until the engine is fitted because I can't be sure of the chain line with the CBR wheel and the longer output shaft on the gearbox. Small steps.............

• Member Contributer

So awesome! The 500 is one of my most favorite bikes. Back in the day I had a 1982 GPZ and my dad had a 500 interceptor. The interceptors handling was sooooo superior, loved that bike. Very cool!

Did a little bit today. The best progress was chasing up the machine shop to get the output shaft done asap so that I can get the motor together, they said to call them on Wednesday!!

Anyway, I re-finished the yokes and ordered some new titanium pinch bolts so the forks are pretty much ready to fitImage072.jpg

Shot blasted the deep sump ready for paintImage070.jpg

And started  on the calipers. The pistons were well and truly stock. No amount of air would blow them out so it was heat and a blind bearing puller. Surprisingly the pistons will all go again with a bit of attention so it's just going to be new seals, a good clean and maybe some paint.

Image069.jpg

Image071.jpg

I'm hoping to have a lot more done by the end of the week. Although we're not racing until May I want to have it assembled in January so that it can go off to the exhaust builder in one piece and then onto the dyno by the end of February. We have a chance to do a couple of sprint races in March to shake out any problems and still have time to put things right. In between we have Christmas, new year and a weeks holiday in the Canary islands as well as a week in Spain in February so if I don't push on now I'll run out of time!!

• Member Contributer

I will take the cover of my VF500 tomorrow and give her a gentle, reassuring rub....  

"Yeah honey, I have been ogling some tasty bits of your "racy" sister,

but you are the one I love..."   :goofy:

I got some bits back from the platers today, cam covers look ok, these are not plated, just polished. The rest of the bits have been zinc plated for resistance toImage074.jpg corrosion and a bit of a factory finish

Archived