3rd gen fork setup

RhodeMoto

Out for another shake down run today. I boosted the rear pre-load and in all the bike is feels "right". Travel over bumps seems even front and back. Little front dive on brakes. I think the fork project has been a success! May cut the fork pre-load spacers 5-10mm, and then get rear gas up to correct, see how that goes and then pull rear for rebuild? It is close to end of riding season in this part of the world,... Just hate to take it out of commission as I just got it together.

This is really my first impressions of riding a vfr so nothing to compare to. Quite a change from the little FZ 600 I have running. 

Here are photos of the front and rotors on the bike and the spare that I will be mounted new Angel GT on.

If anyone has a clue of what these rotors are please let me know.

Think I will pop the pads just to check them but does not seem that if contaminated they would give the grab/surge affect?

vfr wheel 1.jpg

vfr wheel 2.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, RhodeMoto said:

If anyone has a clue of what these rotors are please let me know.

Never seen anything like this. :unsure:

That is definitely not a 4G wheel, though. They are aftermarket floating discs on a 3G wheel apparently. 

Just had another thought: uneven wear of the disc surface (high spots) would cause this. 

Have you checked runout on the whole surface swept by the pads ? Actually, maybe running a fingertip on the disc while spinning the wheel would be enough to feel it (?).

You're probably right about the contaminated pads. That would not cause the grab and release symptom. My bad.

What about the solid rotors on bike now? These are not stock from what I have seen. Not going to matter if the swap works. If they can be ground and trued may be worth hanging onto for spares? 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RhodeMoto said:

What about the solid rotors on bike now? These are not stock from what I have seen. Not going to matter if the swap works. If they can be ground and trued may be worth hanging onto for spares? 

Definitely not stock either but that's all I can say about them.

Swapping wheels would probably tell you if it's something wrong with the discs.

Machining the discs is certainly possible but I have no idea where to go or how much that may cost. Friendly machine shop ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am back. Mounted and balanced new angel GT on the spare front wheel. Check rim and found it was very true. Dry fit tire and positioned so only needed 1/2 Oz. Weight. This wheel has floating rotors. 

My front brake grab issue is gone, so not sure what the issue is with the fixed set but clearly the problem. 

So now have good forks, good brakes, but,.........

Now have experienced an odd wobble. Very disturbing. Just happened a couple of times, but felt I might loose it. Going along not excessive. Testing brakes, and sudden shake? Wobble? Did not feel like coming thru bars. As if the whole bike did a side step hop. 

Possessed by demons?

• Member Contributer

Errr... swap the floating discs to the other wheel to rule out a tyre problem ? :mellow:

I'm sure you feel certain that you have done it right, that the tyre is new... but no one is immune from error and that also goes for tyre manufacturers and resellers (bad storage method ?)

I know it's a bit of a hassle but a faulty tyre would explain it and I am not aware of any other reliable method to check this. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK - Now to the rear.

I have pulled the rear and removed tire.

I have two 8 spoke wheels and both are out of round. No visible damage. Both 2mm radially and 4mm laterally.

Anyone have experience and success having wheels trued?

• Member Contributer

gallery_34381_7701_47073.jpg

I had this straightened for 100 €.

I got the wheel back straight and true but stripped of paint and deeply scratched.

Been riding on it ever since with no problems. 

That does not look good. If that can get fixed then hope for mine. 

Have not found anyone local. Would be nice to actually talk to person than send off to unknown. 

Looks like I am out of commision again. 

This was to be my newer, reliable bike,.....

Archived