6th Gen Staintune downpipe crack

thtanner

• Member Contributer

I recently got a 'clean' set of 6th gen staintunes for a fair price, but I was reading a few old threads and noticed a post about a cracking issue near the mount. I checked my mounting tab and it definitely appears that's the case on this set as well.

Just confirming this is the usual cracking people have mentioned?

Also, I'm not quite fussed with a back and forth with Staintune and waiting 8+ weeks. It looks like I should be able to have my local welder sort it out and beef up the weld?

QZrtbu2.jpg

AwCrEuC.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just what I needed to see! I'll just expand the hole a tad for a grommet and use rubber washers as well.

Assuming the downpipe is just stainless steel, I doubt they'll have a problem sorting it out.

Thanks for the helpful reply =)

It has a lifetime warranty (you don't need to be the original purchaser) but that will be gone if it's not repaired by Staintune. Just FYI.

• Member Contributer

I had a crack in the same location on mine, contacted Staintune and they repaired free of charge, just had to pay the postage. I had them back in a week. They have changed the mounting design now as this cracking on the welding point of the mount seems to be a common fault.

• Member Contributer

Yep, mine developed a crack in the same spot. Just took it to a good local welding shop for repair, still holding up quite well after several years and 10's of thousands of miles.

9 hours ago, thtanner said:

I've e-mailed them, but I don't expect anything that will result in a timely resolution. 

If you can locate a local S-Tune distributor, they should be able to do the same free warr. swap. They were available for pick up to me from a local BMW dealer near me before they stopped carrying the product. If you do find one, make sure that the replacement has the same "S" curve that leads to the chain side of bike. I saw pics of a redesign that had a straight 90 degree from the Y that led to reported tire rub!

• Member Contributer

My local shop took care of me for less than the cost of lunch. While not winning any visual awards, it looks like it will hold up just fine. I'll just keep an eye on it every major service, and they can fix it if it breaks again.

FnXlGzQ.jpg

QUip8Eu.jpg

The Mk3 version of Staintunes link pipe finally sorted the issue out. Simple to replicate if you currently own a Mk1 or Mk2, as per the Mk3 it just needs a rubber bushing to help reduce the vibration and risk of future fracturing.

*Stainless Steel link pipe is straight forward to weld, shouldn't cost much at all if you can't wait for Staintune to replace/repair.

• Member Contributer

Keep and eye on those welds.  IF the weld shop did not get most of the carbon out of the cracks before welding you WILL see cracks again.  I chased cracks all the time on a stainless exhaust I had on an airplane because I couldn't get all the carbon from the exhaust cleaned out of the cracks.

Any other after markets with fixing bracket at this point?

I know the LeoVince pipes do, as that's what I replaced my Staintunes with. The LeoVince link pipe bracket is detachable, flexs better too.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, gswanson said:

Keep and eye on those welds.  IF the weld shop did not get most of the carbon out of the cracks before welding you WILL see cracks again.  I chased cracks all the time on a stainless exhaust I had on an airplane because I couldn't get all the carbon from the exhaust cleaned out of the cracks.

Thanks; I'll check it every chain clean just in case.

If it does start to crack again I'll have it sandblasted to clean off the carbon and have it TIG welded. This is just a cheap MIG weld. Still cheaper than sending my bits back to AU!

Archived