NEVER STOP LEARNING

Did I ever drop the bike?  Man, I am an EXPERT ElectraGlide picker-upper.  I had small, medium and large crashes.  So glad I didnt fall off on the uphill grass section. I hear it is murder trying to get it on its wheels on a 45 degree grass hill. The rate of dropped bikes got higher as we went because we were trying to ride out a mistake instead of putting a foot down. Hell, I dropped ol' training bike number 5 just a half an hour before the final test. Sometimes, you knew you were a bit wide, so you would gas it a little and lean more, but the front wheel would clip those slippery as fook cones and on the side you went.

The only thing the instructors did after teaching you how to pick it up, was make sure you never got help doing it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of instructors, .....

When we parked, the instructors would come out with a tape measure and see if we were 18" apart, crash bar to crash bar.  This combined with exact wheel alignment is what they wanted.  Each time we got it wrong, we had to duck-walk the bike about 100 yards.

aaasa.jpg

The video looks like its easy enough but I know better. I practice with a small bike in the yard on a regular basis. I still suck.

Two comments:

I don't see how you can even ride with all those fookin lights blinking!

When POTUS leaves the house, they are prepared to take over a small city.

• Member Contributer

That is so very freakin cool Timmy!  I know the initial video on the range wasn't your class but very informative.

I like how you can hear the officer working the bike/clutch/throttle and especially how you can hear the metal meet the road on the tighter sections when the exhaust is not comprised of straight, open pipes.

Thanks for the reply Timmy. Another thing I would like to know; what do you think would be the "best" bike for the motorcycle cop? I don't mean brand bias or anything like that, but what bike would offer the comfort and abilities necessary to do your job? Or perhaps a better question would be what qualities would the perfect police motorcycle posses?

I would imagine low maintenance would top the list (e.g. shaft driven, hydraulic lifters, etc...), luggage to carry necessities, and ample power would be important too. 

On 31-10-2016 at 3:04 AM, Duc2V4 said:

I'd say tradition

Looking at the gear the POs have to wear I'd say so too. Also the bikes are probably not washed before being parked in the garage, but groomed before being herded to their stables :happy:

But for the motorcade I'd say: stick with the tradition.

• Member Contributer

Part of mc training and exam for the mc licence in the Netherlands.

Not as "extreme", but riding a diminishing raduis, brake and swerve around a "wall" (made of orange pylons) from 30mph, straight line at walking pace, figure 8, slalom, etc must be demonstrated.

In Dutch

https://www.cbr.nl/motoroefeningen.pp

• Member Contributer

Dyslexic?  

Or did you simply miss the "part of" mc training and exam sentence?

• Member Contributer
On 11/1/2016 at 3:16 PM, timmythecop said:

I think this:

00282.jpg

OK I don't know what kind of bike that is. BMW ??  I've never seen one here in the states in police dress. 

They almost always used K75 in European forces.  The 750cc version was said to have almost the same power as the 1000, but was way smoother. I used to have a K100RS and I LOVED it.

So my first night out with my winged wheel pin and all the FLHs are off having the sidecars bolted on. I grabbed a Sportster and off I went.  No joke, the very first motorcycle I encountered was a third gen VFR in white.  Go fig.  Work has gotten better...............

14859915_10211136527748792_3234765535293148462_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

Been wanting to take a course for advanced riding for years. This only reinforce my desire to do so. I will look for a course locally and maybe for an old cheap bike i can drop and not feel bad about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Been wanting to take a course for advanced riding for years. This only reinforce my desire to do so. I will look for a course locally and maybe for an old cheap bike i can drop and not feel bad about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1!

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

No, no, that's the procedure in the US. Take a quick test on the computer and do a figure eight in the parking lot, then ride home legally on your turbo Busa.

Mea culpa for me jumping to a conclusion.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

No, no, that's the procedure in the US. Take a quick test on the computer and do a figure eight in the parking lot, then ride home legally on your turbo Busa.

Where in the US?  We still have road tests in NY.  (Although, I'll admit there isn't much to it.)

Archived