• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, 2k1GoneWild said:

It started with around 80 hp, it's up over 100 hp now, when I get the upgraded Stator  and Rectifier back from Germany with the clutch window, I'll be ready to take it to DynoTech for the custom tuning, at that point I'll do a before and after in a single Dyno session. I know it will be up over 110 hp, just how close it will get to 118 hp will have to be seen.

Yup that's right about where I plan to be without all the fuss, let's wait and see how close my numbers are when I get done because my little set of tuning tricks is pretty easily done. I can tell you right now it's running real strong and I still have not installed the o2 eliminator and the Staintune along with that fuel map.

Factory stock VFR800's are rated at 108 crank hp. They put out about 95whp, (+/-5 whp depending on if its a high reading or low reading dyno)

The VFR that you are building is a slipon, catless header, air filter and fuel tune VFR800. These have been shown to put down around 100whp, (+/-5 whp depending on dyno.

A VFR that puts out 80 whp has serious problems.

A VFR that puts out 110 WHP either has upgraded cams, a race header or a very high reading dyno.

A VFR that puts out 118 WHP has both Cams and race header or a tuner that is playing with the correction factor too much.

On a properly set up dyno, your VFR will put down about 100whp, maybe less because of your dual snorkel set up.

• Member Contributer

I detect a slight acrid note in some posts, no need for this guys.....    This is not a US election... :-)

Let's see how far these efforts lead and enjoy the show in the mean time :beer:

German mag Motorad showed this years ago

IM000015.jpg

Fwiw my 4th gen (carbs of course) rwhp is was 106, max torque 78Nm....

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Factory stock VFR800's are rated at 108 crank hp. They put out about 95whp, (+/-5 whp depending on if its a high reading or low reading dyno)

The VFR that you are building is a slipon, catless header, air filter and fuel tune VFR800. These have been shown to put down around 100whp, (+/-5 whp depending on dyno.

A VFR that puts out 110 WHP either has upgraded cams, a race header or a very high reading dyno.

A VFR that puts out 118 WHP has both Cams and race header or a tuner that is playing with the correction factor too much.

On a properly set up dyno, your VFR will put down about 100whp, maybe less because of your dual snorkel set up.

I love predications with numbers :)

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

I detect a slight acrid note in some posts, no need for this guys.....    This is not a US election... :-)

Let's see how far these efforts lead and enjoy the show in the mean time :beer:

German mag Motorad showed this years ago

IM000015.jpg

Fwiw my 4th gen (carbs of course) rwhp is was 106, max torque 78Nm....

I agree with Dutch, this is for the purpose of fun, speed and enjoyment, what can be done restively easily with spending $3-4k and a few weekends. It's kinda exciting getting the goods from around the world too and putting together a timely instituted build. It's going great, please don't get carried away with the project numbers, it's so much better than stock and highly streetable. If you want numbers spend $20k and get a new H2, but that's just not what this is all about because not everything can be measured in numbers. The 5th Gen VFR is more than just numbers,...!

• Member Contributer

H2.................

Coming down this stretch, my LeMans didnot scream this much... 

(I was, inside my helmet...)

I am trying to be as civil as possible, but there is simply an overwhelming amount of misinformation in this post. Again, I am not trying to make anything personal, but 99% of everything in this thread has been covered in multiple threads, dating back 5 or 10 years.

• Member Contributer

Hey CR, Chill man, the guy is NOT listening & has a pipe dream that the VFR has some hidden "Factory power" that a few basic mods will release like Magic. You & I know better ;) 

I believe I have put more dollars & more time into trial & error research to get mine up to 120rwhp on a well respected race team & major magazine test dyno.  I have posted all those results on this forum for all to see. If he can top 110hp on a respected dyno, not some hicksville "what would you like it to read" one, then I will be impressed, but I would be surprised if it reached 105hp with those mods.

Lets just wait for the final results :) 

2K1, suggest you look up my threads & you will see the whole gambit of dyno charts from the same respected dyno. Your exact mods with a custom PC3 tune, got me 102rwhp, the other 18 I have now took a LOT more effort.

YMMV, Happy new Presidents day !

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

H2.................

Staintune high level with Black Widow and Double Snorkel Airbox with Euro G ECU and a PC lll fuel map still with o2 sensors

IMG_4198.MOV

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

H2.................

That's absolutely WOW !!!

Here are a few "conservative" drive-by's with the following : Staintune High level, the Black Widow headers (no cat) , Double snorkel airbox with K & N, the Euro ECU from Germany and the PC lll with a Staintune with aftermarket and O2 sensors loaded. It feels like about 105-110 HP, I expect a bit more once the o2 eliminator and higher output stator generator is installed and I tweak some fuel maps . For now it's really running smooth, full and cool plus, sounding great ! :)  PS: later I will do a bit more aggressive 150+ mph drive-by ?

IMG_4199.MOV

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I am trying to be as civil as possible, but there is simply an overwhelming amount of misinformation in this post. Again, I am not trying to make anything personal, but 99% of everything in this thread has been covered in multiple threads, dating back 5 or 10 years.

Yup Staintune just showed up took 15 mins to install so here's the deal so far: Euro ECU from Germany, Black Widow headers with O2 sensors connected, my little Double Snorkel no flapper air box with K & N filter, PC lll with a Staintune fuel map with after market filter loaded. It's pulling the front wheel off the ground in first gear now, I'm estimating 105-110 hp so far it's got that nice full robust sound now, runs cooler, winds out up over 8000 rpm quicker all the way to 12,0000 no gaps either !

IMG_4198.MOV

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hey CR, Chill man, the guy is NOT listening & has a pipe dream that the VFR has some hidden "Factory power" that a few basic mods will release like Magic. You & I know better ;) 

I believe I have put more dollars & more time into trial & error research to get mine up to 120rwhp on a well respected race team & major magazine test dyno.  I have posted all those results on this forum for all to see. If he can top 110hp on a respected dyno, not some hicksville "what would you like it to read" one, then I will be impressed, but I would be surprised if it reached 105hp with those mods.

Lets just wait for the final results :) 

2K1, suggest you look up my threads & you will see the whole gambit of dyno charts from the same respected dyno. Your exact mods with a custom PC3 tune, got me 102rwhp, the other 18 I have now took a LOT more effort.

YMMV, Happy new Presidents day !

I'm sure you've spent much more time and money, this build is just about what can be done fairly quickly with readily available products and services. I'm pretty darn sure I'll get 110 hp of "factory power" before its all over and I'll get it tuned and tested before and after at a nearby DynoJet shop. This thread is just about unleashing and having fun, it's not supposed a contest for numbers, let's work together please ?

It's your project,  but like a couple others have said, the 5th gen has been well documented what works, and doesn't,  period. for X $$$ No secret tricks here. unless you add the Toro charger  The HPs is a slow to come vs. how much you throw at it. Maybe if you're up to it since you reside in the same state.  We can compare notes if and when we hook up over a ride or two checking in at a good ole burger joint.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, RVFR said:

It's your project,  but like a couple others have said, the 5th gen has been well documented what works, and doesn't,  period. for X $$$ No secret tricks here. unless you add the Toro charger  The HPs is a slow to come vs. how much you throw at it. Maybe if you're up to it since you reside in the same state.  We can compare notes if and when we hook up over a ride or two checking in at a good ole burger joint.

There is a DynoJet shop in Perry Georgia, that's where I'll be taking it for final shop item installs, testing and custom fuel mapping after I receive the stuff from Thurn should be within next 3-4 weeks. 

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, duccmann said:

B6_ dolphin on VFRW has a 8 spoker up for sale if interested emoji482.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of which I have (or will have shortly) all the following Parts in very good to excellent condition that were recenty carefully removed  from my 2002 5th Gen up for grab$ or trade for something:

1) OEM header downpipes

2) OEM seat (like new)

3) Vance & Hines SR22 Stainless Exhaust 

4) OEM Engine Clutch Cover

5) OEM Stator Cover

6) OEM Engine ECU "A"

7) OEM Center Stand

8) Read Seat Cowl (not OEM)

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I'm right with you mate but I think mine will do getting up over 110 whp and the argument (now and in the end) will be with what there are no factual information upon my VFR's uniqueness as follows 1) Double Snorkel Air Box w/ K & N filter 2) Euro ECU 'G' (Germany) 3) Black Widow Catless Headers  with High Level Staintune Exhaust 3) Custom PC lll DynoTech Tune 4) Upgraded Stator and Rectifier

5) Calibrated injectors (1%)

The combination of these 5 factors , once fully installed, optimized and Dyno tuned with performance numbers will end upon producing over 110 whp (reading) on the DynoTech and then the argument will be the accuracy of the Dyno + - 5 mph.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMRCru_dMeI

So no point in arguing, I'm not doing cams because I'm more concerned about long term engine life and having a full range of power and just having fun within my meager budget and means, the purpose is just to have a "well-rounded" 5th gen "daily driver" that's been "sorted out" and cost under $8k. 

But I'm sure there will be "never-ending" arguments, objections and comments, so I'm ok with that too ! :) ??

Things that are not unique:

1.) K&N air filter. It is not a performance filter. It is a reusable filter, designed factory fuel mapping. 

2.) Euro Germany ECU. Everyone in Germany has this ECU. They still use regular low octane fuel and they make no additional power.

3.) Black widow headers. These are not performance headers, they are simply relabeled Sandy's spare headers and no different power wise than all other 1998/1999 factory VFR's, motads headers or delkevic headers. Staintune slip on. This is a very nice and high quality slip on. With that being said, performance wise, a slip-on is a slip-on. It has been done before. 

3 again.) Power commander. This is just a fuel tune. No ignition tuning. Been done a million times.

4.) Upgraded stator and rectifier. A good mod on any VFR for reliability reasons. Zero effect on power. Series rr's can free up 0.5hp, but you gave no mention of series/mosfet/shunt, simply said that it was a high output or something, which would actual create more mechanical drag, with no increase in performance. 

5.) Clean and balancing the injectors. Also a good mod, but again will not free up any extra horsepower, it will just bring you back to factory spec.

The one thing that is unique here is your double snorkel, which isn't going to do much. If anything it will lose power, as an open flap will flow more air than a snorkel.

This is all pretty much a pipe dream, unless you are talking crank hp, then sure going from 108 crank hp to 110 crank hp seems fair, but going from 95 to 110 horsepower at the wheel isn't going to happen. Nothing on your list merits a 15 hp gain at the wheel.

• Member Contributer

Very astute high-quality critiquing ! 

Here are my comments:

I somewhat agree to a "varying degree" , but you have to factor in everything going into this build has to be broken down into what is and was "readily available", with a little bit of luck. I got lucky with finding these 3 items for reasonable costs all on eBay :  Airbox for $30.- Euro ECU $130.-, Staintune High Level $450.-. 

Here are a few cases :

1) The double snorkel airbox has never been tested on a Dyno and I also have the OEM Airbox, so when I Dyno tune, I will test both Airboxescand vaildate the performance, until then it seems reasonable that the double snorkel might be improving power.

2) The Euro ECU and USA ECU will also both be tested during Dyno tuning to validate performance.

3) The SS Black Widow downpipes are definitely better than OEM, overall, in the long run. I am not building a race bike, it's better than anything currently readily available because of three factors: 1) Fit up is perfect 2) SS finish is perfect 3) least amount of connections. The performance already is "built-in" and the first ride you find the engine more responsive, runs cooler and sounds fantastic, also it matched up perfect with the Staintune.

i appreciate all feedback and will take into account anything and everything, I can that meets this criteria :"reasonable", "possible" and "within my control". 

This is is a fantastic forum, I look forward to donating contributions.

Thank you for keeping in the spirit let's all work towards benefiting the VFR community.

I'm still trying to decide if you truly believe you're going to get a true 110hp, or if you keep posting the same thing over and over for your own entertainment.

Either way, I sure am entertained! Please, do continue...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I'm still trying to decide if you truly believe you're going to get a true 110hp, or if you keep posting the same thing over and over for your own entertainment.

Either way, I sure am entertained! Please, do continue...

I'm doing it a step at a time and noticing increasing power and speeds on my test circuit, front wheel is lifting in first gear between 6000 and 10,000 rpm, and I still have yet to install the o2 eliminator,I have a highly developed "keen sense of awareness" by the time it gets on the DynoJet, I can assure you it will have 110 whp, I am in an ideal situation and location too :)

28 minutes ago, 2k1GoneWild said:

I'm doing it a step at a time and noticing increasing power and speeds on my test circuit, front wheel is lifting in first gear between 6000 and 10,000 rpm, and I still have yet to install the o2 eliminator,I have a highly developed "keen sense of awareness" by the time it gets on the DynoJet, I can assure you it will have 110 whp, I am in an ideal situation and location too :)

Sigh.

o2 eliminators do not add power. The factory o2 sensors are only online during steady/light throttle cruising.

The eliminators are used to keep your ecu from going in and out of open/closed loop fuel injection, to make tuning possible.

Again, nothing to do with power.

This reminds me of when I was 23, in 2009 and I first got my vfr. I was convinced that I was going to pull big numbers and doing all sorts of stuff (catless motad header, two brothers slip-on, air box mods, bmc air filter, power commander 3), "the wheel is coming off of the ground" then I got a custom dyno tune and went from 99whp to 101whp.

Archived