• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Gerhard's units are probably manufactured in the F.E., but he tests verifies, checks the prototypes and only when happy will he offer (I saw how he went through that for the 4th gen)

• Member Contributer

I have an Ohlins out back, and a CBR F4i front end with de-linked brakes.  If I want more HP and a lighter bike I will buy an FJ-09 or a new Tuono...

I love my VFR...

• Member Contributer

The gear driven cam VFR's with fuel injection are in a league of their own in the motorcycle world. 

At one point I bought a brand new MV Agusta SS America in 1978 and it also had gear driven cams, it's a mechanical marvel !

I am looking forward to changing out the suspension here soon,

8 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

Where are people getting LED tail lights?  Are they just using replacement bulbs in the stock housing or is there a whole new unit offered by someone?

I seem to recall you can buy a whole new unit with LED brake/signals for the 5th & 6th Gen.  Try Ebay first but I'm pretty sure I saw these available last year.

• Member Contributer

Buy some 6th Gen triples and you have a few choices for your 5th gen front end.  OR, you can drop in AK-20's from Traxxion...in 5th gen or 6th gen forks...

• Member Contributer

Yes Gerhard is very communicative what's important is to indicate on the inbound international shipping is "part being temporarily imported for repairs, them will be export returned to USA" otherwise they get charged 20% VAT tax. I am also sending in my stator along with the clutch engine case. 

• Member Contributer

Has no one here scolded you for ignoring the originator of the VFR clear clutch cover; our very own SebSpeed? Forget the German cover and buy one from Seb! No offense to Thurn, I have their LED tail light. 

• Member Contributer

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about because I am new here. It appears the folks at Thurn Motorsport have a variety of high quality products, advice and services. I'm very pleased with Gerhard, and I know how to tell, so they are getting my business, just like Jamie at DMr, I can tell when it's going to be good to great. All I want to do is be an excellent customer and give my busness to the best shops in the world ?

• Member Contributer

What he was saying is the clear clutch cover mod originated here, on these forums; a gentlemen by the name of SebSpeed does them. His work is top notch from what everyone says.

He is US based so no customs to deal with, either.

• Member Contributer

That's a possibility but it appears to be complicated "group sale" as a newbie, it's much simplier process with Gerhard at Thurn Motosports also getting a "high-output "German version of stator, rectifier, rectifier re-mount bracket kit and a rear hub cover and maybe a few other items of VFR interest, plus I think the pricing at $170 is better, but I'm not sure, I actually thought everybody was getting it from Thurn Motosports, it would be interesting to compare the workmanship side by side, nothing like a little competition to keep it balanced. I also think those German folks have very high standards and products, I'm fine with "mod in Germany" plus my Euro ECU has a big G on it  ?

• Member Contributer

Both covers are well made.

Seb welds the "base ring" on, Gerhard glues it on (as done in car/aero industry).

I had the pleasure of owning a Sebspeed cover as well as buying various parts from Gerhard over the years (as well as meeting him and his "tech guy" in person).

On 11/4/2016 at 8:20 PM, 2k1GoneWild said:

That's a possibility but it appears to be complicated "group sale" as a newbie, it's much simplier process with Gerhard at Thurn Motosports also getting a "high-output "German version of stator, rectifier, rectifier re-mount bracket kit and a rear hub cover and maybe a few other items of VFR interest, plus I think the pricing at $170 is better, but I'm not sure, I actually thought everybody was getting it from Thurn Motosports, it would be interesting to compare the workmanship side by side, nothing like a little competition to keep it balanced. I also think those German folks have very high standards and products, I'm fine with "mod in Germany" plus my Euro ECU has a big G on it  ?

Had you asked me, you may have been pleased to find out that I have a few from the last run in stock, and would have been happy to accommodate you.

Also, I am German.

Good luck with your build sir.

• Member Contributer

I actually am still waiting for the 2nd clutch cover, that  I was informed I had to purchase, to show up. So if what you're saying is true and you have a windowed clutch cover ready, I could probably just return that cover and buy one from you ? 

Also so since you are German and there is a myth about the various ECU controlling engine performance, you do notice there are different part numbers on these ECU's along with an A and a G right ? So they are definitely " not the same " ? My Dyno is a big long open road country road in between two cotton fields and so far my bike climbs to about 160 mph before I have to slow it down for a slight curve. What happens when I shift from 5th to 6th gear, and how it pulls between 120 mph and 160 mph really tells me how much power the engine producing. For some reason I'm thinking that little black box with the capital G allows the engine to run better than that little box with capital A and it's not a myth, it's true.

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_4186.MOV

IMG_4186.MOV

As with "the other company", I also require a donor cover to perform the mod on. This can be your cover from your bike, or a spare. All the details of the group buy would apply, aside from the free shipping and site donation. 

Send me a pm if you're interested in any other details or further info?

As for the ecu... I would think that if that letter is actually a country code, then it would be "DE" for Deutschland, not G for Germany? Researching the part number difference may provide more info. In any case, if there is a difference, it will be related to the fuel and ignition programming, which can be optimized by adding a power commander or other tuning device. 

• Member Contributer

Looks like G is good for Germany.

Honda Area Code Identification

Honda assigned area codes for to their vehicles to assign them to specific international markets. Mostly models with different area codes will have unique specifications. The area code for your market can be found on the Appliciable Serial Numbers drawing in the online electronic Honda spares catalog

To be sure the model in the online electronic Honda spare parts catalog matches your vehicle you have to check the Applicable Serial Numbers drawing.

The Honda Motorcycle Area Code Identification is alphabetical listed by country/region:

Country/Region Area Code
ASIA HONDA EA
AUSTRALIA 2U
AUSTRALIA U
AUSTRALIA (MILE) U
AUSTRALIA U,2U
AUSTRALIA U/A
AUSTRALIA U/B
AUSTRALIA U/C
AUSTRALIA U/D
AUSTRALIA/MELBOURNE  UM
AUSTRALIAN AGRIC UA
AUSTRALIAN AGRIC UB
AUSTRALIAN POST.MIN.  UY
AUSTRIA 2AR
AUSTRIA AR
BELGIUM 2B
BELGIUM B
BELGIUM BH
BELGIUM VB
BRAZIL BR
BURKINA FASO  BU
CALIFORNIA AC
CAMBODJA KH
CANADA 2CM
CANADA C
CANADA CA
CANADA CM
CANADA CM/A
CANADA CM/B
CANADA CM/C
CANADA CM/D
DENMARK DE
EGYPT EG
ENGLAND 2E
ENGLAND E
ENGLAND E/A
ENGLAND E/B
ENGLAND E/C
ENGLAND E/D
ENGLAND E2
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES 2ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/A
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/B
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/C
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/D
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES 3ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/A
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/B
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  ED/C
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/D
FINLAND 2FI
FINLAND FI
FRANCE 2FI
FRANCE F
FRANCE F/A
FRANCE F/B
FRANCE F/C
FRANCE F/D
FRANCE F2
GEN.EXP. (SPANISH) 1L
GENERAL D
GENERAL EXPORT 1K
GENERAL EXPORT 1M
GENERAL EXPORT 2DK
GENERAL EXPORT 2K
GENERAL EXPORT 2M
GENERAL EXPORT 4K
GENERAL EXPORT  5DK
GENERAL EXPORT 5DM
GENERAL EXPORT 6DK
GENERAL EXPORT 6DM
GENERAL EXPORT 7DK
GENERAL EXPORT 7DM
GENERAL EXPORT 8DK
GENERAL EXPORT 8DM
GENERAL EXPORT D
GENERAL EXPORT  D-III
GENERAL EXPORT D-V
GENERAL EXPORT D1
GENERAL EXPORT D2
GENERAL EXPORT D3
GENERAL EXPORT D3K
GENERAL EXPORT D3M
GENERAL EXPORT D4
GENERAL EXPORT D5
GENERAL EXPORT DII
GENERAL EXPORT DK
GENERAL EXPORT DK/A
GENERAL EXPORT DL/B
GENERAL EXPORT  DK/DM
GENERAL EXPORT DK1
GENERAL EXPORT DM
GENERAL EXPORT DS
GENERAL EXPORT DW
GENERAL EXPORT ED
GENERAL EXPORT SK
GENERAL EXPORT SM
GENERAL EXPORT D1
GENERAL EXPORT D2
GENERAL EXPORT 1 D1K
GENERAL EXPORT 1 D1M
GENERAL EXPORT 2 2K
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3K
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3M
GENERAL EXPORT 4 D4K
GENERAL EXPORT 4 D4M
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5K
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5M
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6K
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6M
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7K
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7M
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8K
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8M
GENERAL EXPORT 9 D9K
GENERAL EXPORT I D-I
GENERAL EXPORT II D2
GENERAL EXPORT III D-III
GERMANY 1G
GERMANY 2G
GERMANY 3G
GERMANY G
GERMANY G1
GERMANY G2
GERMANY YC
GREAT BRITTAIN GB
GREECE GR
HONGKONG HK
INDIA ID
INDONESIA  IN
IRAQ IA
IRELAND  IL
IRELAND IL
ITALY 2IT
ITALY I
ITALY IT
JAPAN 2J
JAPAN 2JP
JAPAN 3J
JAPAN 4J
JAPAN J
JAPAN JP
JAPAN YA,YB
KOREA KO
KT.KU UNDEFINED
LATIN AMERICA L
LATIN AMERICA LA
MALAYSIA MA
MEXICO 2MX
MEXICO 3MX
MEXICO MX
MOROCCO MO
NETHERLAND 2H
NETHERLAND HK
NETHERLAND H/A
NETHERLAND H/B
NETHERLAND H/C
NETHERLAND H/D
NEW ZEALAND NL
NEW ZEALAND NZ
NEWCALEDONIA NC
NIGERIA NR
NIGERIA NR-III
NIGERIA NR-V
NIGERIA NR5
NORTHERN EUROPE ND
NORTHERN EUROPE YG
NORWAY 2N
NORWAY N
PAKISTAN PA
PAPUA NEWGUINEA PN
PARAGUAY PG
PORTUGAL 2ED
PORTUGAL 2PO
PORTUGAL PO
SINGAPORE SI
SOUTH AFRICA SA
SOUTH AFRICA 3 SA3
SOUTH AFRICA 5 SA5
SPAIN 2SP
SPAIN SP
SRI LANKA SL
SRI LANKA SL/A
SWEDEN SD
SWITZERLAND 2SW
SWITZERLAND SW
SWITZERLAND SW2
SWITZERLAND-2 SW-2
TAIWAN UNDEFINED
THAILAND 2TH
THAILAND TH
USA A
USA R 1969
USA R 1970
VENEZUELA VZ
WASHINGTON POLICE AW

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Looks like G is good for Germany.

Honda Area Code Identification

Honda assigned area codes for to their vehicles to assign them to specific international markets. Mostly models with different area codes will have unique specifications. The area code for your market can be found on the Appliciable Serial Numbers drawing in the online electronic Honda spares catalog

To be sure the model in the online electronic Honda spare parts catalog matches your vehicle you have to check the Applicable Serial Numbers drawing.

The Honda Motorcycle Area Code Identification is alphabetical listed by country/region:

Country/Region Area Code
ASIA HONDA EA
AUSTRALIA 2U
AUSTRALIA U
AUSTRALIA (MILE) U
AUSTRALIA U,2U
AUSTRALIA U/A
AUSTRALIA U/B
AUSTRALIA U/C
AUSTRALIA U/D
AUSTRALIA/MELBOURNE  UM
AUSTRALIAN AGRIC UA
AUSTRALIAN AGRIC UB
AUSTRALIAN POST.MIN.  UY
AUSTRIA 2AR
AUSTRIA AR
BELGIUM 2B
BELGIUM B
BELGIUM BH
BELGIUM VB
BRAZIL BR
BURKINA FASO  BU
CALIFORNIA AC
CAMBODJA KH
CANADA 2CM
CANADA C
CANADA CA
CANADA CM
CANADA CM/A
CANADA CM/B
CANADA CM/C
CANADA CM/D
DENMARK DE
EGYPT EG
ENGLAND 2E
ENGLAND E
ENGLAND E/A
ENGLAND E/B
ENGLAND E/C
ENGLAND E/D
ENGLAND E2
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES 2ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/A
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/B
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/C
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  2ED/D
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES 3ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/A
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/B
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES  ED/C
EUROPEAN DIR.SALES ED/D
FINLAND 2FI
FINLAND FI
FRANCE 2FI
FRANCE F
FRANCE F/A
FRANCE F/B
FRANCE F/C
FRANCE F/D
FRANCE F2
GEN.EXP. (SPANISH) 1L
GENERAL D
GENERAL EXPORT 1K
GENERAL EXPORT 1M
GENERAL EXPORT 2DK
GENERAL EXPORT 2K
GENERAL EXPORT 2M
GENERAL EXPORT 4K
GENERAL EXPORT  5DK
GENERAL EXPORT 5DM
GENERAL EXPORT 6DK
GENERAL EXPORT 6DM
GENERAL EXPORT 7DK
GENERAL EXPORT 7DM
GENERAL EXPORT 8DK
GENERAL EXPORT 8DM
GENERAL EXPORT D
GENERAL EXPORT  D-III
GENERAL EXPORT D-V
GENERAL EXPORT D1
GENERAL EXPORT D2
GENERAL EXPORT D3
GENERAL EXPORT D3K
GENERAL EXPORT D3M
GENERAL EXPORT D4
GENERAL EXPORT D5
GENERAL EXPORT DII
GENERAL EXPORT DK
GENERAL EXPORT DK/A
GENERAL EXPORT DL/B
GENERAL EXPORT  DK/DM
GENERAL EXPORT DK1
GENERAL EXPORT DM
GENERAL EXPORT DS
GENERAL EXPORT DW
GENERAL EXPORT ED
GENERAL EXPORT SK
GENERAL EXPORT SM
GENERAL EXPORT D1
GENERAL EXPORT D2
GENERAL EXPORT 1 D1K
GENERAL EXPORT 1 D1M
GENERAL EXPORT 2 2K
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3K
GENERAL EXPORT 3 D3M
GENERAL EXPORT 4 D4K
GENERAL EXPORT 4 D4M
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5K
GENERAL EXPORT 5 D5M
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6K
GENERAL EXPORT 6 D6M
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7K
GENERAL EXPORT 7 D7M
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8K
GENERAL EXPORT 8 D8M
GENERAL EXPORT 9 D9K
GENERAL EXPORT I D-I
GENERAL EXPORT II D2
GENERAL EXPORT III D-III
GERMANY 1G
GERMANY 2G
GERMANY 3G
GERMANY G
GERMANY G1
GERMANY G2
GERMANY YC
GREAT BRITTAIN GB
GREECE GR
HONGKONG HK
INDIA ID
INDONESIA  IN
IRAQ IA
IRELAND  IL
IRELAND IL
ITALY 2IT
ITALY I
ITALY IT
JAPAN 2J
JAPAN 2JP
JAPAN 3J
JAPAN 4J
JAPAN J
JAPAN JP
JAPAN YA,YB
KOREA KO
KT.KU UNDEFINED
LATIN AMERICA L
LATIN AMERICA LA
MALAYSIA MA
MEXICO 2MX
MEXICO 3MX
MEXICO MX
MOROCCO MO
NETHERLAND 2H
NETHERLAND HK
NETHERLAND H/A
NETHERLAND H/B
NETHERLAND H/C
NETHERLAND H/D
NEW ZEALAND NL
NEW ZEALAND NZ
NEWCALEDONIA NC
NIGERIA NR
NIGERIA NR-III
NIGERIA NR-V
NIGERIA NR5
NORTHERN EUROPE ND
NORTHERN EUROPE YG
NORWAY 2N
NORWAY N
PAKISTAN PA
PAPUA NEWGUINEA PN
PARAGUAY PG
PORTUGAL 2ED
PORTUGAL 2PO
PORTUGAL PO
SINGAPORE SI
SOUTH AFRICA SA
SOUTH AFRICA 3 SA3
SOUTH AFRICA 5 SA5
SPAIN 2SP
SPAIN SP
SRI LANKA SL
SRI LANKA SL/A
SWEDEN SD
SWITZERLAND 2SW
SWITZERLAND SW
SWITZERLAND SW2
SWITZERLAND-2 SW-2
TAIWAN UNDEFINED
THAILAND 2TH
THAILAND TH
USA A
USA R 1969
USA R 1970
VENEZUELA VZ
WASHINGTON POLICE AW

"Washington Police" (AW)  listed at the bottom . . .  Timmythecop must have some serious pull at Honda to get his own spares code for his rides!  :goofy:

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

"Washington Police" (AW)  listed at the bottom . . .  Timmythecop must have some serious pull at Honda to get his own spares code for his rides!  :goofy:

It is probably becuse those bikes have side car fittings for when it gets a bit cold. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

If you need a spare cover shipped to sebspeed for the window mod let me know I will be having a good one to send soon

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thtanner said:

Why are you revving the bike when it's cold like that! Pls stahppp

Sorry I think I at that point I just swapped out the ECU and just wanted a tuning sound recording  before I loaded the fuel map and o2 eliminator.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

If you need a spare cover shipped to sebspeed for the window mod let me know I will be having a good one to send soon

8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

The alpha value designation on various ECU's available om eBay, are not consistant with the general Honda part numbering codes because it's not serving the same purpose.

I wish I would have seen this thread sooner, to save you some time and money. Like Mohawk said, the German ecu, power commander and black widow header won't really do anything dramatic for performance, as the black widow header isn't tuned (primary length/diameter, merge/collector quality) any better than your typical 98/99 factory headers and the German ecu doesn't have any dramatic difference in fuel/ignition mapping.

You would have been better off hunting down an Erion Racing or Two Brothers Racing header, keeping your US ecu and using Rapid Bike racing for tuning (they can tune both ignition and fuel mapping). Also, KN air filters usually have dramatically less surface area than the oem filter (but yours didn't seem to), so most people go with Pipercross when looking for a performance air filter. The high output stator seems like bad news, oem stator plus the FH020 rr has been the most reliable set up so far. The VFR800 does not need any extra current, that is actually what kills rr's.

• Member Contributer

Possibly but what's happening in reality is not consistant with your keystroking. I am doing "old school, wide open road, seat of my pants, testing" in various increments, along the way. Ultimately when I totally done, which would be after installing a matched set fuel of fuel injectors, i will get a two part DynoTech test and tune and expecting 118 bhp.

Archived