Ride Western NC Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday

• Member Contributer

One last run of the mountains before the weather turns too cold and roads are muddled with leaves.  The plan is to ride out of Winston Salem to pick up the Pirate Rider Ben and eventually end up in Franklin, NC Microtel which is the site of TMAC.  Prices as of last night are $45 for single queen, $50 for double queen for Monday and Tuesday night, which are far below anywhere else in the area and made the choice a no-brainer.  Returning home Wednesday, so ride dates are 10-24 through 10-26-16.

The more the merrier.  I will be on the 500, so I can only go so fast, and will probably be following Ben on his old-man BMW.  Restraint will be the center of practice.

Ben has been using some restraint but I'm not sure how I should read that so fast remark. I think maybe Sooooo fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Looks like I'm in. Weather looks good. Taking the Strom.

• Member Contributer

I've got a room with 2 queen beds if anyone else is coming and wants to split a room.

• Member Contributer

Weather looks fairly comfortable in the morning in Winston for even an 8am departure but will probably be more around 9am so I can wake up a bit and make sure last minute packing goes well.   Aaron, you are welcome to come to my place this evening to reduce the commute on Monday.  Angeli and I are going to go for a ride this afternoon and she offered to make dinner if you are here by then.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Ben has been using some restraint but I'm not sure how I should read that so fast remark. I think maybe Sooooo fast!

The 500 with S21s was too fast.  I had to take corners at absurd speeds just to get respectable tire wear.  The grip is amplified by the short wheelbase, suspension, and light weight which had a profound effect for reducing lean angle in a given corner.  I had decent wear on the rear tire due to acceleration on the edges, especially while 2-up) and a nice even profile when worn, but the front looked like I hardly saw a corner.  I took the front off early since it usually wears slower than the rear and I didn't like the M7RR Rear with S21 front (and more center than edge wear) combo although only tried this for about 150 miles.  Those who have followed me on the CB will speak to the absurd performance envelope while appearing so relaxed I could be sipping a latte or checking my email.  I would have to disrupt the space-time continuum in order to wear the edges of S21s on the CB (or just run laps on 28 until my fingers bleed).  I will see how the M7s do since they were designed to ride in any condition, but T30 EVOs may be the tire of choice on the CB out of necessity to slow down.  Life is really awful when you have to settle for T30 EVOs.

• Member Contributer

Absurdity reigns on the DRZ400S. Who knew dualsport rubber could grip like the sport stuff? I never use much effort when I ride but the DRZ requires less effort than anything I have run around Deals Gap and it doesn't hurt that I have effectively doubled my route options getting a bike that has some offroad prowess.

Maybe I will see you guys today as the the life of leisure continues....

Untitled.jpg

• Member Contributer
Weather looks fairly comfortable in the morning in Winston for even an 8am departure but will probably be more around 9am so I can wake up a bit and make sure last minute packing goes well.   Aaron, you are welcome to come to my place this evening to reduce the commute on Monday.  Angeli and I are going to go for a ride this afternoon and she offered to make dinner if you are here by then.

Really appreciate the offer! Unfortunately I can't leave until tomorrow morning. I'll get packed and fueled up so I can leave first thing.

Archived