6th gen Catalytic Converter Replacement

WalkThisWhey

I bought my bike and I am 99% sure the previous owner removed the cat - sometime this winter, I will remove my exhaust and confirm it.

I am actually considering adding the cat back into the exhaust.  Yes I know I will lose sound and power, but riding a catless bike on the street stinks......literally.  I get to work and I smell like fumes.

How hard (and expensive) would it be to replace the cat?  Is this something I'd have to buy new headers for, or is it a cut and weld type job?

• Member Contributer

It would be a full header replacement, or cut and weld (if you found one that someone cut off, or something). It most certainly isn't clamp on, sadly.

That being said, my 98 and my wife's 99 are both catless. I don't have much odor in the way of a 'rich' exhaust. Wondering if there's any other reason you're smelling that?

I've been chasing the smell since a few months after I bought it 4 years ago.  It has a PCIII, tried reprogramming to the Cozey map - no change.  I also bought it with a Two Bros system.

Despite the PCIII, there was O2 sensor elimination - took care of that, still smelled.

Blocked off the PAIR, but that was to eliminate the popping on deceleration - it smelled before though.

I think I might replace the spark plugs, maybe one is fouled but the bike overall runs quite well.

• Member Contributer

What is the smell - sulphur, or smells like a rich mixture, or ?   You can see if the P.O. did surgery on the cat by placing a mirror underneath - the cutting and welding done to accomplish that will be obvious.  Sixth gen headers are commonly on Ebay and sometimes go for not a lot of money. 

One other thought - if your cat is indeed in place, in some instances an unwanted byproduct of them can be hydrogen sulfide - "rotten eggs".  If that's the case, maybe research the fuel you commonly purchase and see if it's a common complaint with it.  If so, maybe try switching brands (possibly another may have a lower or no sulphur content) and see if that makes any difference. 

9 hours ago, Cogswell said:

What is the smell - sulphur, or smells like a rich mixture, or ?   You can see if the P.O. did surgery on the cat by placing a mirror underneath - the cutting and welding done to accomplish that will be obvious.  Sixth gen headers are commonly on Ebay and sometimes go for not a lot of money. 

One other thought - if your cat is indeed in place, in some instances an unwanted byproduct of them can be hydrogen sulfide - "rotten eggs".  If that's the case, maybe research the fuel you commonly purchase and see if it's a common complaint with it.  If so, maybe try switching brands (possibly another may have a lower or no sulphur content) and see if that makes any difference. 

Not a rotten egg smell, definitely has a rich smell to it.

9 hours ago, thtanner said:

Pulled the trigger and bought that, thanks for the find!  If I don't need it I'll turn around and sell it online.  All I need is bolts and hardware now.

12 hours ago, WalkThisWhey said:

I am actually considering adding the cat back into the exhaust.  Yes I know I will lose sound and power, but riding a catless bike on the street stinks......literally.  I get to work and I smell like fumes.

lol you won't lose power. No one is making any extra power on a vfr800 5th/6th gen, by gutting the cat on stock diameter headers.

11 hours ago, WalkThisWhey said:

I've been chasing the smell since a few months after I bought it 4 years ago.  It has a PCIII, tried reprogramming to the Cozey map - no change.  I also bought it with a Two Bros system.

Despite the PCIII, there was O2 sensor elimination - took care of that, still smelled.

Blocked off the PAIR, but that was to eliminate the popping on deceleration - it smelled before though.

I think I might replace the spark plugs, maybe one is fouled but the bike overall runs quite well.

Cozy map is overly rich, thats why its been known to feel so smooth.

"Despite the PCIII, there was O2 sensor elimination - took care of that, still smelled." 

What? Power commander needs o2 eliminators to function correctly.

"Blocked off the PAIR, but that was to eliminate the popping on deceleration - it smelled before though."

Adding fresh air into the exhaust reduces fumes...

"I think I might replace the spark plugs, maybe one is fouled but the bike overall runs quite well."

Decent idea.

1 hour ago, WalkThisWhey said:

Pulled the trigger and bought that, thanks for the find!  If I don't need it I'll turn around and sell it online.  All I need is bolts and hardware now.

You should have at least pulled the slip-on off real quick to confirm the cat was actually missing, before purchasing another header. This would have only taken five minutes lol.

Really you should do a basic tune up (new spark plugs, air filter, starter valve sync, ultrasonic fuel injector cleaning etc) and an actual dyno tune to get your AFR spot on, instead of just using other people from the internet's tunes....

37 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Cozy map is overly rich, thats why its been known to feel so smooth.

Was rich before Cozy, but I had no idea the map itself is considered a rich one.

"Despite the PCIII, there was O2 sensor elimination - took care of that, still smelled." 

What? Power commander needs o2 eliminators to function correctly.

This was puzzling to me too.  No eliminators were on it or resistors, and I got no lights.... I eventually did the resistor mod just to be safe.  Still stank, but at least I know I am doing the right thing.

"Blocked off the PAIR, but that was to eliminate the popping on deceleration - it smelled before though."

Adding fresh air into the exhaust reduces fumes...

No change in smell before or after, but that popping was KILLING me!

You should have at least pulled the slip-on off real quick to confirm the was actually missing, before purchasing another header would have only taken five minutes lol.

Admit this is a full out seat of the pants gamble by me.  Also, if car/motorcycle internet forums have taught me anything "5 min" to you = at least half a Saturday with curse words and busted knuckles for me.

Really you should do a basic tune up (new spark plugs, air filter, starter valve sync, ultrasonic fuel injector cleaning etc) and an actual dyno tune to get your AFR spot on, instead of just using other people from the internet's tunes....

I could probably do a starter valve and FI cleaning - thanks for the ideas.

Just now, CandyRedRC46 said:

how do you feel about going back to stock? (ditching the pc, reinstalling the pair valves and o2 sensors)

from a time and effort perspective, PAIR would be the biggest pain to do again.  Everything else is an unplug.

I'd rather keep the PCIII however.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, WalkThisWhey said:

Also, if car/motorcycle internet forums have taught me anything "5 min" to you = at least half a Saturday with curse words and busted knuckles for me.

It really takes no time to crawl under the bike and verify your cat is in place, using the picture on the eBay page as reference.

I'm kinda betting the cat wasn't cut out, tbh. That's a lot of effort for someone to go through when they could spend $200 on aftermarket catless headers.

As far as the PC3 goes, I'd have it dyno tuned at a shop or remove it. Loading maps from the Internet that are not made specific to your setup = headache.

Archived