Any other rads fit the 4th Gen?

I'm having trouble locating a good quality replacement for my 97 FV. Ebay throws up rads barely better than my one and OEM is stupid money. Are there any rads from other (preferably Honda) models that would fit. Currently looking at CBR6 rads of a similar era to see if they will.

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

You might want to see if a radiator shop in your town can either repair your existing radiator, or fabricate you a new one. I know there are shops that specialize in making custom radiators, something to consider. But as far as any existing rads fitting the VFR, I really can't say. 

• Member Contributer

I took the plunge and bought a new Chinese radiator on eBay for £110. It looks reasonably well made but the brackets for the fan were a slightly out and it took a little work to make it fit. Also the vent on the filler neck is facing the rear. 

IMG_0222 (1).jpg

DSCF1801.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, magpie114 said:

I took the plunge and bought a new Chinese radiator on eBay for £110. It looks reasonably well made but the brackets for the fan were a slightly out and it took a little work to make it fit. Also the vent on the filler neck is facing the rear. 

DSCF1801.jpg

Not trying to derail the OP"s topic - but that is a very clean looking 4th gen!

• Member Contributer

Its my current build project I started to give me something to do on my retirement. I started a thread on it some time ago and will have to update it. I originally intended to take it fairly slowly but as it starts to resemble a motorcycle I'm getting more impatient!

Just searched your build thread. What a great thing to do, to build from scratch. Is the project finished or still ongoing?

Must confess; I've been thinking of doing a SF build myself but I'm just a regular spannerman - never dropped an engine before...

• Member Contributer

Its still ongoing - I'm aiming to finish it for next spring. I'm learning a lot (number 1 - triple check used wiring harnesses!) and its satisfying seeing it take shape. I'll be updating the thread in the next few days.

I've had a side business making aftermarket motorcycle radiators in Thailand for several years, mostly for cult/niche bikes. Because we do only small volume runs they're not as cheap as the Chinese competition however in terms of fit they're at least as good if not better as I do the QA myself and most are test-mounted before shipping. If there's sufficient interest I'm happy to do a run of replacement rads for the RC36. It would be simple. I've attached some pictures of some of our work.

SP-1/2 front-mount radiator and oil cooler kit:

SP12thermolo_rez_zps6c8f8740.jpg

OCdetail_zps4412350a.jpeg

Rside_zps803f5ad5.jpg

RC31 Bros/Hawk oversize radiator with tabs for OEM fan:

DSCF4606_zpsbddd6118.jpg

Gen2rear_zps279734bd.jpg

P2144903_zpsb0258725.jpg

NC35 race radiators:

RVFThermaerads.jpg

Wow! You're just the man I've been looking for. I want a radiator for a 4th Gen that will look good because I want to run it as both streetfighter and enclosed bodywork.
 Your gear is exactly what I've had in mind.

• Member Contributer

+1

Yes, those are very nice rads.  Where/how do you sell them?

Ciao,

2 hours ago, JZH said:

+1

Yes, those are very nice rads.  Where/how do you sell them?

Ciao,

I've been selling mainly through FB and the forums. I work hard at customer satisfaction because in the small worlds of cult bikes your reputation and the the recommendation of your peers goes a long, long way.

I haven't bothered with a radiator for the VFR to date (partly because mine's still holding up OK) but I'll pull the one from my bike and do some drawings.

24 minutes ago, douglasthecook said:

Will the NC35 Race Rads fit the 4th Gen VFR? They look similar, but they may be narrower, not sure, just a guess.

No. For the 4th gen it would be a big advantage if the stock rad shroud could be re-used with a replacement radiator as it incorporates the oil line stays.

• Member Contributer

Sorry for the thread hijack, but this is too important!  Your rads just look so much nicer than the Chinese versions.  I've been thinking about adding a lower radiator to my FP...

Is it the case that your NC35 race rads do not allow the use of a fan (on the RVF, I mean)?  Also, would your NC35 rads fit an NC30?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Any work with curved radiators? (ie RC30)

1 hour ago, JZH said:

Sorry for the thread hijack, but this is too important!  Your rads just look so much nicer than the Chinese versions.  I've been thinking about adding a lower radiator to my FP...

Is it the case that your NC35 race rads do not allow the use of a fan (on the RVF, I mean)?  Also, would your NC35 rads fit an NC30?

Cheers,

I was producing a 24 mm core street version of the NC30 and NC35 rads but stopped because the Chinese rads are prolific and ridiculously cheap. My 32 mm race rads do not have tabs for fan mounting as there is very little room behind them for one. If you specifically want a 32 mm NC30/35 lower radiator with fan mounts contact Rick Oliver in the UK, his rads are excellent quality if a little pricy. He is an absolute pleasure to deal with, his email is: ricknc30@gmail.com

The NC30 and NC35 OEM lower rads are identical, the dimensions of the upper rads are identical but the mounts are slightly different, one of the shortcomings with some of the Chinese rads is not bothering with these (or some other) details.

39 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Did you HAVE to post that sexy SP2 picture? :-)

Very very nice!

Since the thread's already half off track here's another with the fairings on:

SP2RSide_zpsb64050de.jpg

Archived