Essential 8th Gen Tool Kit

RC79Scott

I discovered yesterday that I really wished I had bought that MotoPump kit the last time I thought about it.  I had no idea how heavy a VFR is with a flat rear...lol.  Thankfully I at least had AAA.  Little solace, though, with a flat on a Q3 that only had ~1k on it.  Why couldn't it have been that miserable OEM tire?

Anyhow, the MotoPump is on the way.  It got me wondering, though, what other tools I might need that I could fit under the cowl.  That's basically the cutoff for me--it all has to fit under the rear seat cowl (or somewhere not in my luggage, which I don't always have other than little tank bag).  I've heard people suggest everything from duct tape to toilet paper, but I'm not carrying 50 lbs of crap against a .01% chance.

What would you consider essential to have on your 8th Gen?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fink said:

This was covered in detail some time ago. If you use the search facility I'm sure you will find it. 

Good work finding it for us there, fink!  Glad it was so easy.  Oh, you just forgot the link, right?  ;-)

For what it's worth, I started a thread on this forum about 8th gen tool kits over two years ago and with an impressive twelve posts, five of which were mine, hoo-boy, suffice to say it didn't quite take off the way I was hoping.

Maybe someone can wander over there and add something of value...

After just a few weeks ago buying my 2014 VFR800, I looked around and decided that I would just do the best I could. 

I bought a Motopump, a tire plugging kit with strips instead of plugs and they fit nicely under the cowl along with the included Honda tool bag of stuff. 

Bought a Nelson rig magnetic tank bag and put a few tools in there: Knipers 5" pliers , leatherman Charge, several hex 3/8 sockets with Snap On small ratchet, Jaws 3/8 Spinner driver to spin the hex bolts off fairing, Bahco crescent, JAP magnitized screwdriver, 3/8 sockets for bolts, 4-5 1/4" sockets, 3/8-1/4" adaptor, zip ties, Fenix small flashlight and small roll of safety wire and self sealing upon itself tape, Gorilla tape wrapped around screwdriver. ( small plastic bottle of Mosquito repellent so I don't get eaten alive when working on bike! (I live in the swamp!)

Takes up the fronthalf of tank bag. 

First I checked the hex sizes and socket sizes I needed out of a couple of small sets I have. So I don't carry stuff that doesn't fit( to my knowledge.). 

Then, my AAA card. 

• Member Contributer

What's so horrible about just keeping a Cortech tail bag on a bike like I do?  It has in it a flat kit, duct tape, a Smith & Wesson Border Patrol knife, wet and dry rags to clean bugs off visor, cheese crackers, bottle of water, toilet paper, prescription drugs if needed, and room for a sandwich to eat if out all day in the middle of nowhere which I do almost everytime I ride near where you are.  Still room for whatever other stuff I might need like camera, etc.    

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Good work finding it for us there, fink!  Glad it was so easy.  Oh, you just forgot the link, right?  ;-)

For what it's worth, I started a thread on this forum about 8th gen tool kits over two years ago and with an impressive twelve posts, five of which were mine, hoo-boy, suffice to say it didn't quite take off the way I was hoping.

Maybe someone can wander over there and add something of value...

Feck me, you ain't half a sarky bugger ain't you.   If I have a shit will you wipe my arse for me ( no offence to original poster) 

Im all for helping out folk but sometimes it's nice to have a look for yourself it's amazing what you find. . I mentioned that it been covered before. 

Both by yourself as well as me  There may also be others.

I wasn't going to but as you jumped down my throats regarding my reply here goes. 

Typing the last sentence was done as I was making my way out to an ambulance  to go to a shout to someone with chest pain ( cardiac pain).  I would have done the search myself but  was interrupted by the above.  It takes greater priority.  

The call was 20 miles away on single track roads in the fog  deer are a big hazard. Eventually got to patient and treated them.  They were in complete heart block.  This took some time after stabilising our patient. we had an 90 mile blue light run up the side of Loch Ness to the Coronary  Care Unit  in Inverness. Spent that journey being battered around an ambulance whilst trying to provide the best care possible.  Eventually got back to our station at 10 am this morning  shift finished at 07:00. 

I do do hope you will forgive me for not posting links.  I also hope this makes you think twice before you have a pop at someone.  

9 hours ago, Silas said:

After just a few weeks ago buying my 2014 VFR800, I looked around and decided that I would just do the best I could. 

I bought a Motopump, a tire plugging kit with strips instead of plugs and they fit nicely under the cowl along with the included Honda tool bag of stuff. 

Bought a Nelson rig magnetic tank bag and put a few tools in there: Knipers 5" pliers , leatherman Charge, several hex 3/8 sockets with Snap On small ratchet, Jaws 3/8 Spinner driver to spin the hex bolts off fairing, Bahco crescent, JAP magnitized screwdriver, 3/8 sockets for bolts, 4-5 1/4" sockets, 3/8-1/4" adaptor, zip ties, Fenix small flashlight and small roll of safety wire and self sealing upon itself tape, Gorilla tape wrapped around screwdriver. ( small plastic bottle of Mosquito repellent so I don't get eaten alive when working on bike! (I live in the swamp!)

Takes up the fronthalf of tank bag. 

First I checked the hex sizes and socket sizes I needed out of a couple of small sets I have. So I don't carry stuff that doesn't fit( to my knowledge.). 

Then, my AAA card. 

I like that idea with the gorilla tape...

7 hours ago, Bent said:

What's so horrible about just keeping a Cortech tail bag on a bike like I do?  It has in it a flat kit, duct tape, a Smith & Wesson Border Patrol knife, wet and dry rags to clean bugs off visor, cheese crackers, bottle of water, toilet paper, prescription drugs if needed, and room for a sandwich to eat if out all day in the middle of nowhere which I do almost everytime I ride near where you are.  Still room for whatever other stuff I might need like camera, etc.    

I have mine quite a bit but not always.  In Chattanooga someone might relieve me of it if not careful.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, RC79Scott said:

I have mine quite a bit but not always.  In Chattanooga someone might relieve me of it if not careful.

Gottcha.  That's just one more reason I don't ride in town.  My bike isn't transportation, it's recreation only.  

Archived