What can you tell me about my VF500?

Tyy

16 hours ago, TheDutchy said:

For the location of the carbcode, here is an example:

carb ID.JPG

I am in-fact reading from the right location then, but I still have no idea what carbs I have. Should not matter since I am going off of the previous setup as a baseline rather than stock, but it would be sweet if I had some later model carbs.

hwikakw.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 12/8/2017 at 1:40 PM, Tyy said:

What have you got that seat covered in? I am also curious what your wheel setup is in this picture because those look like radial tires!

I covered the seat in stretch blue denim because it cured "monkey butt"...

My maintenance notes don't show construction but they are 1996 time period Metzlers the front is a Me33 comp K 100/90 V16... the rear is a Me1 comp K 140/70 VB18...

• 2 months later...

Hello my forum family! I have neglected my thread, but I have good news... ok maybe not all good, but news non the less. Its getting warmer in Canada, so I was able to finish rejetting the carbs. I went for 107.5 all around on the main jet. Still running 42s on the slow jets.

Apart:

njq0HiL.jpgFpuJCEp.jpg

And back together:

YfEs58L.jpg

The new jets did the trick. The new jets did THE trick I should say. The bike is revving up to a realm I never knew was possible. I have found soo much power up there too. It pulls me forward like never before. You can scratch out that top speed of 120kph because its not holding back at all anymore. I dont really know how far it will go yet, and I'm not sure I want to find out on the street. Unfortunately the vacuum hose fitting that attaches the petcock line broke again. I have ordered a new one. I am hoping it doesnt matter which cylinder I put it on because I dont know how the get the other one out of its threads... without also removing the threads. I still have a few other things on the to-do/wish list. I want to redo the clutch, rewire the tach, send the rear shock off for a rebuild, paint/power coat some things, and perhaps do the CBR600F2 wheel swap if I can save up for it. Anyone who is familiar with the wheel swap, please tell me your opinions on it. 

I have done the 17 inch wheel conversion on my 500F2. The only reason to do it is to get access to newer rubber IMO. If you are happy with the handling of the bike now, and the 16/18 inch rubber you can get (which isn't bad to be fair), I would not bother.  It's not difficult to do but is fiddly and access to a workshop very desirable. I did it because I wanted something to do over a summer, and I enjoyed the process, but I wont be doing it for my other 500. Picture is bike after fitted 17 inch wheels from a UK CBR600FM. IMO the bike looks better with the OE wheelsIMG_20140629_150700.thumb.jpg.75b13120b7730405fa65ab46bf158ee6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Any carb vacuum port will be fine.

Happy to read that she is now giving you the ride you knew was in the cards! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Concentrate on the suspension first for sure.  The rear shock is not worth "rebuilding".  Go for a YSS or a Daugherty CBR conversion.  There are some other options too, but essentially almost anything is better than the stocker.  Emulators (Daugherty, Race Tech) up front with some correct straight rate springs (Sonic, Race Tech).

A properly set up 500 with upgraded suspension and stock wheels with properly sized fresh rubber is a formidable weapon.  

On ‎5‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 6:12 PM, Captain 80s said:

A properly set up 500 with upgraded suspension and stock wheels with properly sized fresh rubber is a formidable weapon.  

Indeed.. We got rid of the rear and in fact have a YSS rear shock.. Front has been updated.. Got rid of the anti-dive and preset option. Cartridges/emulators have been placed with new linear springs..

Great news Tyy you got the carbs sorted.. Maybe you have to dig into them one more time, but that's a maybe.. When the outside temperatures go up, and also when the engine gets realy warmed up, you might find ut the engine is getting sluggish at low rpms.. You will notice the difference between cold and fully warm.. Colder needs fuel enrichment, warmer means you have to lean the fuel amount.. So if you encounter the engine getting sluggish, or not feeling that linear at low rpms warmed up, you might want to drop the size to 40 on the slow jets.

Happy Trails....

• 2 months later...

d7INOaO.jpg

@TheDutchy What model YSS did you go for? I scrapped my header on the floor today, so Im about ready to order a shock before I do any irreparable damage. Any insight on whats the best bang for my buck is much appreciated

So there is only one YSS option?

You see a lot of shocks on Ebay for the VF500F. One wonders how they all compare. I have a Hagon on one of my bikes (the F2) which despite being a pretty budget shock has not left me feeling the need for a better one. My other 500 (the F),  has a very tired OE shock which is about to be replaced with a CBR600F3 shock I bought from DMr. I am also changing the forks for a set with the DMr cartridge emulators. So the bike goes from stock old and tired suspension to (hopefully) much improved suspension. I hope I will be able to tell the difference.  

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure Hyperpro is an option. Will cost more.

• Member Contributer

But yer Oirish is grand son.... :goofy:

• 2 months later...

EfWNnAB.jpg

I am in need of a new gas tank. I was wondering if the same year 750s have compatible gastanks/body panels? There are no VF500s in any salvage yards near where I live. I thought about getting the tank repaired, but wouldnt that compromise the metal?

1 hour ago, Tyy said:

EfWNnAB.jpg

I am in need of a new gas tank. I was wondering if the same year 750s have compatible gastanks/body panels? There are no VF500s in any salvage yards near where I live. I thought about getting the tank repaired, but wouldnt that compromise the metal?

Good body shop should be able to fix it--or just bondo and paint.

• Member Contributer

They sometimes pop up here in the Netherlands. If you like I can ask if they speak English/want to deal with an Irishman..

I once drove 1 hour to look at one "in great shape" and the RHS picture seemed to confimr; only yo find it rotted a hole at the  LHS bottom. :mad:

I imagine that it would cost quite a bit to ship a gas tank to Canada. Thanks for offering to help though. I dont think the picture conveys the concaveness of the tank very well. There is at least a couple liters less fuel space available, but if you guys think it would give it a "unique" battle-scared look I might just smooth it out and respray the whole bike. Can anyone confirm or deny whether the 750 tank will fit? Ive got my eyes on a parts bike for cheap

@Dutchy

@Zeta

Archived