Opinions 98 vfr800

jalex1995

On 10/14/2016 at 11:05 PM, GigemVFR said:

I'll just add to not use K&N oil filters.  They seem to not seat right on these bikes (or maybe others too).  Lots of people have had problems with them leaking or blowing out going down the road.  I mean LOTS!  Other filters you will be fine with.  

And congrats on the bike!  I think you will like it.  I love the whine of those cam gears too.  Love my 02 but it does not have them.  Plenty of help and info here to do most things to the bike as well as maintenance.  

Alright I will keep that in mind, and I do have a question about the bike, last night I noticed that when I rev or accelerate my gauge lights brighten up. Something I should worry about ?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jalex1995 said:

Alright I will keep that in mind, and I do have a question about the bike, last night I noticed that when I rev or accelerate my gauge lights brighten up. Something I should worry about ?

That's just the r/r, when it revs more it makes more volts.

Can use a multimeter to make sure you're getting near 13.5v at idle and near 14.5 @ 5000rpms

• Member Contributer

I can't say I've ever really noticed gauge lights doing that.  Good time for a voltage test, methinks.

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Regarding the overheating, mine was getting quite bad last year when the temperatures were up. I just stripped the rads off yesterday & left them soaking in some mild acid to clean the dirt off overnight. I tried a water flow test & the left rad would hardly flow at all. So I gave them a caustic dip & the amount of crud that came out of both explains the overheating. Any way new air ducting & fans will be fitted as I put it back together.

I have the 2000 model. (over) 9000 (!) miles in. Very happy with it. It ate it's first reg/rec last year, but i replaced it with a better 3rd party unit. They do run hot, and i regularly see 106c in the summer, even close to 100c in the winter, in stop-go traffic. I haven't done much to the suspension, but maxxing-out the rear pre-load really improved things for me, but i am a bit of a fat sod...

The only problem i have with it is the stock seat. It's utter trash. No grip and uncomfortable. But that would be preference, and can be fixed.

I run mine as my only transport, commute to work daily/all year (except in settling snow), and use it for fun when the British weather permits it.

Bar risers (Genmar) and tank grip pads (Stomp) have really improved my comfort on the bike by taking pressure off my (crappy) wrists and back by sitting me a bit more upright and allowing me to grip the tank with my legs. REALLY need to get that seat re-covered this year... I can manage about an hour and change before my arse goes numb.

• 11 months later...
On 14/10/2016 at 4:30 PM, Cogswell said:

Like others here I have 5th & 6th gens.  It's not unusual to see 225 on the gauge, but it's not a big deal.  VFR's that truly over heat usually suffer from maintenance issues - stuck thermostat, bad rad cap or similar.  One foible afflicting some owners DIY'ing a coolant change is to leave the bike on the C-stand while bleeding the coolant.  That's solved by running the engine on the side stand, making the rad cap the highest point in the system.  That lets all the air rise up and out and gets the system completely full.   If the coolant is low, the thermo switch on the rad is not covered with coolant and the fan will not run.  Once properly filled and bled, all is good.  Personally I think the side-rad VFR's get a bad rap for running hot, when properly serviced don't run much if any hotter than most other bikes.  

That said though, I did install a fan-over ride switch on my 6th gen, allowing me to control it at will.  That allows me to run the fan in slow traffic before it would normally turn on (at 220 deg) keeping things cooler over all. 

The 98 you're looking at will not have a cat, and has what I personally prefer which is a manual control for the starter valves allowing for control over fast idle speed.  It also eliminates a potential service item of the wax unit that was later used to control fast idle starting with 2000 models. 

With that Micron exhaust on it - once you hear it running you probably won't be able to walk away - it's magic.  I should add that if you have never heard one running previously, do not be put off by the whine coming from the engine - those are the drive gears for the cams - completely normal (and beloved here by many). 

There you go again Cogswell, promoting the virtues of my newly aquired 1999 VFR800 that I was so unsure about in the beginning. Thank you my friend!

On 2/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, Mohawk said:

Regarding the overheating, mine was getting quite bad last year when the temperatures were up. I just stripped the rads off yesterday & left them soaking in some mild acid to clean the dirt off overnight. I tried a water flow test & the left rad would hardly flow at all. So I gave them a caustic dip & the amount of crud that came out of both explains the overheating. Any way new air ducting & fans will be fitted as I put it back together.

Cheers Mohawk,

Since my plastic is off, I'm going to do this. Thanks for the idea!

• Member Contributer
Well, I ended up trading for the bike. Saw it in the parking lot took it for a ride and fell in love with it. I am not sure about the r/rs and exc but I will put up some pics when I post the bike tomorrow and hopefully someone will show me what I need to look for. :)

How time flies....somehow got left out of this thread....so nice to see you did the deal, haha, the test ride and sound...
Well, I found one myself, high K's but still going strong, so now I can ride and let projects take their time.
Congratulations.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Archived