Track Day at Willow Springs Sun. Oct. 23

VFR Capt.Bob

• Member Contributer

http://www.letsridetrackdays.com/index.php/register/product/9-10-23-2016-willow-springs-raceway-2-5-mile-course

A group of us from another forum are doing this track day with Letsridetrackdays.com   

I know there are some fast paced riders on here and this will be a great time to join a fun group of of experience track day riders. Price is $140 and they usually have a suspension expert available to adjust your suspension. I am pretty sure I will be going and taking the RC51 and the FZ1. I have taken my VFR800 on this track with dot race tires and had a blast. You are welcome to invite other riders to join as well. We are non competitive and just into fun fast riding. 

• Member Contributer

I signed up for C group. Beginner group since the intermediate group just sold out. Probably not a bad idea since I will be taking the RC51 out for the first time. Will likely take the Street Triple too. 

• Member Contributer

Bummer, I already commuted to doing a track day at Fontana that same weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Had a great day on the very fast Willow Springs Raceway with friends. Because of the late notice we had two riders in A group mixing it up with the very fast guys. I lucked out and got a B group position which suits me better than C group. I will admit for most the day I was among the slower riders in my group on my Triumph STR 675. Mostly because I would ignore proper down shifting  into the power band I needed to keep up with all the liter bikes. First track day in years so just daring myself to enter the turns faster and on the gas was a challenge enough. By the end of the day the crowds had subsided and I could really get into picking my lines and shifting and racing with other unsuspecting riders. 

My only real let down was when I took the RC51 out for it's maiden track voyage only to have the clutch  begin to fail as I began to try and bring the bike up to pace. Everything else felt fantastic on this bike but the clutch slipping made it unridable by the third lap so that ended it's session. I parked it then decided to click it into first gear and push it by hand. To my surprise it pushed right through the gear the clutch offering no resistance. Looks like I have some more work to do on The Beast.

Overall it was a great day. None of my friends crashed and there was only one red flag in B group. A rider coming out of the starting grid behind an instructor entered the track just ahead of me in turn 1 and ran off the track in turn 2 creating a huge dust cloud across the track. zero visibility in mid turn 2 was un nerving. We did experience another track day K&N oil filter failure on my friends Aprilia RSV4. I think it's time to just say do not use K&N oil filters. The seals seem to fail at the track for what ever reason. 

I will be doing more track days and posting them up here. Hope to have some of you join us.

20161023_101622.jpg

20161023_101701.jpg

Nice,  always good to read what others are experiencing.  up here in the PNW this sort of thing will have to wait until May.   Thanks for sharing,  hope the clutch thing works out,  those are a beast on the track.

PS  yea I'm not sure how KN can still be selling these shiet filters with all the bad press.  I've spelled out a Ban on em.    

• Member Contributer

Nice! I still don't see how these K&N oil filters have not had enough bad press to keep people from using them? Did the bike spill any oil on the track? If so, that could have been catastrophic with so many riders taking the same line. I would think that track day organizers could put a ban on them. Maybe even put it on the web pages...

"YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE TRACK IF YOU ARE USING A K&N OIL FILTER. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

I just may consider doing this for any group rides I host! :ohmy:

As far as Willow Springs goes, my friend that I went to Fontana with wants to do an overnight stay up there next year, if that happens, I'll be sure to let you know. Bummer about the clutch, should be easy enough to suss out though. Before my friend came by to load up the 5 Gen, I flushed/fill the coolant (it was past due) and bled all the clutch and brake lines so I knew I was starting fresh. No issues and had a good time at the track.

So not to hijack this thread any further, I posted the video of my Fontana track day over at the 'Anybody do track days?' thread.

• 1 month later...

Archived