voltage drop when on "ON" position - bike won't start

darkshad

Hi all,

I have a 2002 VFR 800.  I've been having battery problems where the motorcycle wouldn't start.  At first I thought it was the battery, but I had the battery checked out by a car parts store and they said it was good.  I also checked the charging and when the bike was running, I could see that the battery was getting charged.

I added a PowerHub2 and Power Commander, and now every time I have to use a portable charger (have one the size of a cellphone) to jump my bike.  When the bike is in the "OFF" position, the battery voltage is ~12 volts, but as soon as I turn the key into the "ON" position, the voltage drops to ~7 volts.  Everything is fine, once I get it started, just annoying to have to carry a small portable charger every time I want to go out and ride my bike.

I removed all of the accessories from the battery - (ie. only had the positive and negative from the motorcycle) and still had starting issues.  The only thing I can think if is maybe the in-line wiring harness for the Power Commander may be the issue.

So, battery is good, and charging is good.  Any other things I can easily check/rule out without having to remove body panels?  Anyone seen something similar?

BTW, since I am a first time poster, attached is a pic of my 800.

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist

2002_HONDA_VFR800_INTERCEPTOR_2e7244401739f74460aa_28.jpg

Sounds like a tired battery, in spite of whatever "testing" the auto parts store did.

12V with switch off is too low. Should be about 12.8

When the bike is running it should be about 14 or thereabouts.

I am pretty sure, the battery is dead. What I've experienced, is that for a normal battery even when cranking, voltage shouldn't drop below 10V. Except if you have a HUGE current flowing upon turning your key what is unlikely if you can jump start it at all and run normally.

Try to borrow a battery for a test, if you still are not sure.

• Member Contributer

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

• Member Contributer

Its the bright red paint.  Its draining the battery.  If the bike was silver that problem wouldn't exist.     JK  welcome to VFRD where your answers will more likely be found......:beer:

It was the battery.  Took it to a battery place and they confirmed the battery was bad.  Apparently the auto parts store employee who I took the battery to be tested the first, didn't know how to test a battery or did it incorrectly and gave me the wrong info.  Have a new battery and back in business.  Glad that's all it was.

Thanks all.

--Jason

Archived