VFR vs. F-150 (guess who wins)

VonZinzer

Hello all... should probably start with a trigger warning...

<If you are easily upset by pictures/descriptions of smashed motorcycles and bad driving, maybe read another post?>

Oh, and the preface that I'm fine.

June 8, 2016

Weather: sunny, low 20s

So there I was, riding down my one-way residential street, when I came to a stop sign behind an older-model F-150. Following the advice of my rider training, I left a bit more than one bike length between me and the truck. Suddenly (and much to my surprise!) the F-150's reverse lights came on! My confusion quickly turned to alarm as the truck began to back towards me. I got on the horn right away, but it was too late... the truck's trailer hitch crunched into my front wheel. And then kept coming. It didn't stop until I had (frantically) banged my hand on the tailgate, thinking my next step was to dive to safety somehow. My heart was beating a mile a minute.

The two occupants of the truck got out and came back to see me. For what it's worth (not much) the driver was very apologetic. The passenger tried to tell me that the damage wasn't serious... but I wasn't exactly calm about it. For <expletive deleted> sake, my bike was trapped under their truck!

Anyway, after extracting my bike, getting their insurance info, and reporting the collision to police, I took it to have the damage assessed.

Destroyed fender, front lower & upper cowl... but that's ok, it's just plastic. The bad news? The forks are bent. And as you may recall, there were some severe earthquakes in Kumamoto, Japan in April that forced the closure of the Honda factory there. They didn't resume full operations until August. I think you can see where this is going... I've been waiting for replacement forks since June, and the expected delivery date is now "late October", having been pushed back three times.

The moral of the story? Well there isn't one, I guess? Just be careful out there. And don't bend your forks. :wacko:

DSC_0171 (2).JPG

DSC_0172 (2).JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

• Member Contributer

So sorry to see busted bike parts. Hope you get full compensation. What bad timing for the factory outage. There is not much worse than wanting to ride and be stuck waiting for parts. Hope this too passes.

• Member Contributer

That Sucks, glad your ok!! I had the same thing happen about 8 years ago on my 4th gen except my forks did not get bent, the fender stanchion broke off.....Still needed new forks, but I was able to find forks and got 3,000.00 cash from the offending party (work truck). I hope you are able to get compensated for your lost riding time!!

Happened to me. Some Moroccans backed into me at a stop sign for no apparent reason. I was waiting patiently behind them. Their reverse lights did not come on. In my panic I couldn't find the horn. Soon after "talking" with them about it and one of them insinuating it was my fault, I had a crowd of Moroccans around me all shouting and carrying on in their language. After realizing their documentation was in someone else's name and the insurance slip looking unusual I suggested a police report be made.

A nearby shop owner saying the driver was his cousin (naturally), suggested compensating me for damages and each on his way. The bump had been really quite soft as they had realized right at the moment of impact and with my clutch pulled in and the angle of the bits that came into contact, the bike had been pushed backwards, free to roll as it was. The front mudguard had a small crack. I was confident that was all. I was incensed but agreed to the cash, bartering the amount to my satisfaction and hightailed it out of there. It all took place in maybe 10-15 minutes.

It's a matter of adapting to circumstances I guess.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear of your misfortune especially the long wait for parts from Honda.

I had a 40footer (18 wheeler to you guys) try to reverse over me once & like you I'd left a couple of bike lengths & laid on the air horns (luckily) & backed away until my back wheel hit the car behind me & I was about to leap off when the truck finally stopped just an inch or two off my front wheel, phew.

Archived