Thinking of turning my VFR750FL into an RC30 replica.

https://www.gumtree.com/…/vfr750-rc30-replica-vf…/1161578425

The above was very cheap for some lucky bugger - Anybody on here?!

Seeing this and another replica on FB yesterday, this morning my mind started to work overtime and I did a little exploring...What would it take?

Probably best to start with a 1994+ VFR750 as the frame is better suited without the gussets that scream "fake!", but mine's a 1990 and I really don't fancy looking for a 1994+ & making another complete bike from scratch!
I've got enough other projects in slow progress as it is and I wouldn't want an RC30 replica with standard VFR suspension. Too much investment for a body change, that would be nuts!

For those with a 1994+, then I'd look to fitting an NC30 tail and fuel tank and a an road / endurance styled fairing such as this: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/RC301989-90.htm
- Although there are classier endurance replica fairings with single headlights, in Japan, I think I recall...

If starting with a 1990-1993 as is mine, then the RC30 styled tail kit might be the obvious solution, though I don't much like the way it's made to fit the original tank, it's possible to make inconspicuous after paintwork and seat pads fitted.

http://www.clubvfrspain.es/index.php?topic=21294.0
http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/hocker-rc36.html

For lights perhaps use RC30 headlights (assuming some could be found) or endurance type...Or apparently CBRSC28 headlights will work too.

Instruments could be late CBR900 which has an electric speedometer and mechanical rev counter just like our bikes, or maybe a set of 2 stroke clocks would work from say an NSR250. I'd have to look into it but I guess it's just some simple rewiring to do for idiot warning lights, temp gauge, etc. 

I already have an RC51 front end on my VFR and a host of other mods and a project like this would give good reason to use the cushless hub assembly from the RC30 swing arm (or it's entirety if I can make it fit!) I have one already stored away, keeping an RC45 original rear wheel company. 

If a suitable TBR left exit exhaust could be found I am fairly confident our friends at Tyga would be persuaded to make an excellent 4-2-1 left exit exhaust for use without a center stand. These sound so much better devoid of the standard collector!
Or better still, maybe get a titanium RC30 exhaust from www.ladybird.jp and modify it to fit. Does anybody know if RC30 flanges are the same size and fitment as RC36? I know someone who can weld titanium quite nicely, see...

All of the above are possibilities, but what would I do with my mint original bodywork, seat, seat frame, fairing frame, tank and other bits? They'd have to go into the loft as I couldn't bear to part with them now body panels aren't available...

And what of turning a perfectly good 2 seater into a single? That would leave me without a sensible bike to carry passengers on and leave me with only a Husky that is too uncomfortable for passengers to stay on for long trips / crap bike for highways....

I already have a perfectly sorted RC51, so having another race replica won't be the best idea. Would I use an RC30 replica of would it be a waste of my already well sorted & versatile VFR750FL?
Questions running through my head.

Not thinking of doing this now, as I have another bike project to complete over winter evenings already, but I tend to accumulate the parts I want first, then get on with a project as much as possible without distraction or delays. 

I've no doubt mine would make a very cool RC30 replica indeed and give my VFR a facelift that would fool 99% of people. It would even sound much the same! :D

About a month from now they'll be in Japan for Moto GP so I'm going to discuss with the guys at Tyga and see if this idea could interest them so they'd make a kit, perhaps.

There's a lot of worthless VFR750's with damaged bodywork & neglect in Europe, U.S. and Japan that'll mostly never die that would be ripe for making into RC30 replicas! 

I'm wondering how many members here might be interested in making their VFR's into an RC30 replica with such kits? :)WOuldn't it It

• Member Contributer

I still think the RC30 is one of the best looking bikes ever made by Honda.  If you decide to move forward with your replica project I'm sure many people will be watching closely including myself!   Once you finish you can start on a NR750 replicate project next !!  :beer:

Rollin

The RC30 project turns me on more than an NR. Aside from the frame gussets showing on 1990-1993 models, there would be very little to give away it's not an RC30 to most who'd look at it - when it's done.
The NR replica is a total fake from 15 metres in my eyes, so not for me. Also I don't much like body filler nor having to make underseat exhausts, etc. And headlights that don't work with proper beam pattern - it wouldn't pass inspection. Nightmare!

I still haven't decided if I want to put my beautiful VFR750 under the knife. A part of me says yes, but the other part says bugger that. I've had it since 1993 with 3,000 miles, so I'd never sell it.
Its been with me to many places in Europe and now Japan. It would be like selling my sister to another man, so I'm never parting with her. And I wouldn't buy another VFR750. Certainly not just so VFR(1994-1997) could wear a pretty party frock! :goofy:

DSC_7376_zpszxqrijru.jpg

shera02jp-img600x398-1427088722dsmr0i853

DSC_3492_zpscf820cdf.jpg

I'll mull it over whilst building a rather lovely NSR250 in the garage during late nights this winter...
Recently got pics from Tyga of my carbon & OEM paintwork beautifully repainted so I'll share a few here for those who appreciate plastic & carbon! 

seatright_zpsorteh8ab.jpg

leftfairing_zpsapkrccsm.jpg

upperfront_zpsfzwrz7gz.jpg

gastank_zpsj2smyekq.jpg

Would I really need a 3rd sports bike (With over 200kg & around 100 bhp? Heart says yes, brain says no! 

I know - it's just a new frock and a slightly different seating position , maybe I could live with that. Still undecided but the fact it's not the real deal doesn't faze me here. 

Aside from other smaller capacity bikes of various forms I have, this to ride when I really want more performance.
The HRC successor to the RC45 (Although a lot more common & less expensive when I bought it as a near standard bike 11 years ago).
...25kg lighter than standard and has much more to it than meets the eye & includes gear driven cams like the Viffer.
DSC_7454_zpshvfwo5hg.jpg

GP billet calipers with narrow track SBK Brembo 320mm discs, Ohlins forks, GP10 Maxton shock lots of hidden one-off titanium and more.
DSC_7406_zpsjunglpth.jpg

Carbon and HRC titanium, exhaust set was not available for sale to the public, only HRC and supported race teams. Beautifully high pressure (water) formed bends in the tubing. 
DSC_7472_zpsql19xuh4.jpg

More titanium & other rare bits.
DSC_0176_zps92lgzqju.jpg

Carbon Dymag CA5's and other modifications.
DSC_7468_zpsiuxj6fwq.jpg

Throttle bodies usually sit under a plastic airbox. This airbox uses the bottom of the tank as the lid. Unobtainable Thorsten bells. Slight torque improvement.
DSC_0101_zpsivp6jcob.jpg

DSC_7417_zpsqcln0kin.jpg

All replaced front end, right down to a custom milled stem in aluminium and custom milled titanium stem nut, cover, etc.
DSC_7485_zpstoyecqm5.jpg

Nicky Hayden, Colin Edwards and Rossi liked the RC51 so much (They were the main successors with it whilst it was campaigned) they signed! :cool:

DSC_7416_zpstqpolyvx.jpg

In its spiritual home of Japan.

VTR%20SP%20Fuji%20Tour1_zpspoghwlye.jpg

I bought these CBR headlights for around $21 USD equivalent after throwing on a few bids yesterday in case I didn't come across another clean set as cheaply as this: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d202965347 
I wonder, is this a sign of things to come? :491:

I'll keep looking out for rare RC30 bodywork and other bits in various places they may turn up and see what happens, I guess... :tongue:

Archived