Not happy with my Delkevic high-mount slip-on

rc51jim

Purchased a carbon Delkevic high mount 18" kit. I definitely don't like the fit. I currently have a 2 Bros. low mount slipon and it fits parallel to the bike and tight to it. This high mount is not parallel to the bottom of the fairing, and it juts out away from the bike at an angle. Contacted Delkevic and they say I have the right components, that I just need to tighten the brackets and clamps and it will pull it into the bike. Nope. Tried flipping the clamp around, pipe around (just in case), rotating the pipe this way and that, and it uses the Y bracket which can only go one way. Still nope. It's like the mid-pipe needs more bend to it to get the outlet into the right position. Currently trying to find a pipe bender to make me a better mid-pipe.

I put it back on just for the photos :wink: Waiting for a reply from Delkevic.  To me, the mid-pipe needs more of each bend. As you can see in the photos, the outlet of the mid-pipe comes out at an angle, so the muffler juts out at an angle also. No amount of clamping will bring it any closer. Tried the clamp inside the bracket, outside, clamp tab inside or outside, no luck. Rotated the mid-pipe up down and reversed, still sticks way out.highmount1.jpg034.jpg066.jpg

I'm going to give to you straight out: It looks like shit when it's pointed outwards like that.

It looks WAY better when the down pipe aims the muffler slightly inward.  It makes the bike look more compact.  You want the tip of the muffler to almost be pointing towards the rear fender.

The issue is the downpipe section closest to the header collectors needs to be longer and sticking out.  This helps the lower part of the muffle clear the rear tire and the rear cowl.  The muffler itself needs to have a connector pipe that aims the muffler back in.  Take a closer look at a Micron slip on for the VFR800 and you will see what I mean.

I looked at a lot of pictures (and videos) of pipes before I bought mine.  What It came down to is that most of the lower price pipes sound very similar.  This now came down to looks. I am afraid I did not go with the Delkevic because of how it splayed out of the fairing.  I ended up getting the GPR Furon high mount and when I installed it lays in perfect alignment to the rear fairing and the side of the bike.

I cannot show a pic of one yet as the bike is not in my garage at the moment but here is a Tri oval.  And Delkevic.  Bottom line I don't think your going to get it any closer.

672604631_o.jpg

product2820_3.jpg

Mine is similar, but not as pronounced because of the shorter muffler. Gotta figure there's a reason Delkys are cheap...

I agree though, it doesn't look awesome. I did it more for the sound than the look.

EDIT: based on the 5ths I've seen with this can, there is decent variation in how much they stick out. Mine doesn't seem to be a bad one.

gallery_8099_2683_7648088.jpg

3 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

You get what you pay for

Generally I would agree with you in regards to cans. However, when I had my 5th gen I used a low mount Delkevic for when I was touring and it was an excellent value. The sound was good and the fit was fine AFTER a bit of fanagling. For those on a budget or those who merely wanted to drop some weight off the bike, Delkevic is a good choice. The only problem with Delkevic is that they are just very generic. They are not specific to any make/model. Same can for everybody with a different pipe. But it keeps cost down I guess.

I think that's how they come out the factory tbh, I had a similar link pipe from another company here in the UK. Stuck out & annoyed me every time I looked at the bike. The company who I got mine from probably just copied Delkevics, fortunately I got a scorpion high mount online auction. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally got a new midpipe from Delkevic which had a slightly different bend. After a lot of messing around, I eventually got it to work the way I wanted (no fault of theirs). I made my own bracket to put the barrel band more to the center. I also shortened the midpipe by 4" which put the can behind the footpeg. I then had to space the footpeg brackets out about 1/2" so as to not touch the can. It's now in about as tight as it can be without touching anything. I would have liked the can to be parallel with the fairing, but the shape of the pipe doesn't bring the front up high enough. On to the next project!

can3.jpg

can1.jpg

can4.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would still consider finding a a pipe-bender and get a cost of:

Fabricating a new SS pipe from scratch

The possibility of modifying either Delkevic pipe for a better fit.

Yes, it'll cost more, but it might be reasonable enough to consider.

I realize that this varies from person to person, but it would irritate me to see the poorly bent pipe every time I looked at the bike.

What makes it more galling is the fact that it is a simple QA issue; they have the ability to bend the pipe properly, but choose not to.

• 2 months later...

I agree, I wouldn't think it would cost much to tweek the Delkevic mid pipe.  A new one would cost more but really would be the best solution.  Do these pipes come with silencers?  I have D&D with looks really nice but is kinda loud and would like something a little more quiet for touring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Hibbard992 said:

I am in the market for a pipe to improve performance in the 3000-5000 rpm range. Does this brand improve the throttle response, and improve the midrange and make the power more linear?

Delkevic?  No.

It's basically a generic muffler with a removable baffle. Well enough made, and they sound good (I have a full system that was on my bike when I bought it) but you're not going to get much performance change.  You want to change low end performance and improve the throttle response, for the same cost as the slip on you might consider a power commander.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, yeah, you shill that all the time.

It's also $850 for a 5th gen with the tuning module, which is a lot more than a generic chinese can. The Delkevic slip ons are $160-300 or so. About the price of a PCiii (you can get them for less than $250 new) running the generic maps for a stock 2000, which massively improve low-mid smoothness for around town riding.

An $850 solution with some auto tuning features might be nice, but it's a hell of a big step up in price from a $200 slip on. Way too rich for what you get from my point of view. Though @Hibbard992 might race his old girl and want to find  a few tenths of a second down the straights, I guess.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Power commanders add some mid range. Rapid Bikes with ignition advance, add A LOT of mid range.

Sorry, for OT question, but could you--in theory--run both a PCII and PCIII USB on the same 5th gen at the same time and use the mapping features of the latter and the ignition advance feature of the former?  They plug into different locations, I see.  Obviously, tuning it would be much more involved than fitting an all-in-one module like the Rapid Bike...

Ciao,

5 hours ago, JZH said:

Sorry, for OT question, but could you--in theory--run both a PCII and PCIII USB on the same 5th gen at the same time and use the mapping features of the latter and the ignition advance feature of the former?  They plug into different locations, I see.  Obviously, tuning it would be much more involved than fitting an all-in-one module like the Rapid Bike...

Ciao,

The pc2 was the one that had ignition advance. Most of them are lost/broken by now and they require a laptop with a serial port for tuning. The other down fall of the old pc2 was that ignition advance (I believe) wasn't 3 dimensional mapped, it was just a knob on the side to add a blanket amount of advance over the entire map, which is a bad thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Archived