Honda Countershaft Sprockets

JZH

• Member Contributer

Before embarking upon my swing arm swapping escapade, I had no idea there were so many different OEM Honda 13-spline front sprockets.  So I made this chart (using JT sprockets data).  :cool:  HTH.

Honda Front Sprockets Compared.png

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks, John. I was surprised to see that the VTEC used a 16T sprocket and the 5th gen. 800 used a 17T. Then I remembered that one of the changes to the VTEC series was to the transmission gearing. Sure enough, the service manuals show that the VTEC has marginally lower gearing in 3rd through 6th. The result being near identical mph/1000 rpm in top gear. Nice to know that I could swap a 17T into my VTEC and reduces revs on the highway.

8 hours ago, Lorne said:

Thanks, John. I was surprised to see that the VTEC used a 16T sprocket and the 5th gen. 800 used a 17T. Then I remembered that one of the changes to the VTEC series was to the transmission gearing. Sure enough, the service manuals show that the VTEC has marginally lower gearing in 3rd through 6th. The result being near identical mph/1000 rpm in top gear. Nice to know that I could swap a 17T into my VTEC and reduces revs on the highway.

I am running 17/43 right now on my 2007 VTEC. It is great on the highway and the speedometer is dead on accurate now. Strong acceleration does require a down shift or two and leaving from a stop in first gear requires a little extra clutch slip if you want to get out in a hurry, but cruising a high speed on the highway all day is so much more relaxed. It will still lift the front tire off the ground when rolling the throttle open in first gear, but it does feel a little lazy around town.