RC24 fever, "New" bike added to garage

keny

An update again.

Some days back I got a left mirror that has a nice shaft, but a bad mirror, mine is other way around.

Today I got a set of 3 white turn signals, came in quit a huge box!

large.WP_20160915_18_17_08_Pro.jpg

Did take off the tail part today, and looks I have to look for a new/better rear frame, as its bent slightly.... :mad:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did wash the "half nude" RC24 as the CBX750F yesterday

large.WP_20160918_19_04_14_Pro.jpg

Found a crack in the subframe, but closer inspection did show its in the part you can bolt off that has the lock for the seat. the rails that go to the front parts has holes drilled for the side case racks so had plan to chage them anyway.

large.WP_20160917_10_50_02_Pro.jpg

A other thing that I have to find out is why some former owner has wired the fuel pump to get power from the tail light bulb! The red wire in the pic below.

large.WP_20160917_10_49_57_Pro.jpg

Forgot to mention the tought it has only 36k kms on the clock, not 136k, it got even more belive so after I did see the downpipes of the exhaust after the wash

large.WP_20160918_19_04_46_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20160918_19_04_41_Pro.jpg

27 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

So her new nickname "white crack ho"???

:-)

I do like the "White Lightning" very much, "White Cracking Lightning" until the crack is gone :comp13:

:cool:

They probably bypassed the fuel pump relay because of a failure so it runs whenever the key is on. Nice pics of the mounting for the bags, looks well done.

3 hours ago, atx said:

They probably bypassed the fuel pump relay because of a failure so it runs whenever the key is on. Nice pics of the mounting for the bags, looks well done.

Intressted in the bags/holders? I plan to sell them as they are to young for the bike. Will not pass the classic inspection whit them....

Pretty sure shipping costs would murder me. Have you seen the classic samsonite hard bags from the classic silverwings and cbx's? Those would be a perfect fit for the rc24 i think if you painted them to match.

• 3 months later...

Well, it has been time whit turbolens for me, not much done other than getting parts, and at moment its not progressing any as I have the flue of the decade, 4 days in the bottom of the bed mostly, and will sure be so a few days more, as fever is on rise, doctor appointment tomorrow! I also now recall I forgot to replay on atx pm, sorry for that!

But while laying here I have gone thro old pics, paper pics! Found some lovely shoots of my old 1987 VFR750F! All digi shoots, aside the ones I have downloaded here on VFRD are sadly gone after my old external hard drive did die :sad:

Fortunaly found also 3 CD´s whit pics from my trip to Nurburgring in 2008 as Mugello in 2010 of the friends that was along, V4Rosso and Douglasthecook. Also Dutchy was prese 2008!

Some pics to fresh up memory! (until progress on current!)

Happy times!

gallery_880_2173_51870.jpggallery_880_2173_134289.jpggallery_880_2173_33048.jpggallery_880_2173_126627.jpg

• Member Contributer

HPIM6429.JPG

HPIM6430.JPG

HPIM6432.JPG

Our host:

"WTF did I invite to OUR hosue??????"   :goofy:

HPIM6427.JPG

9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Tee hee...

Hope you feel better soon Kenth!

Thanks, and corrected the typo....have to blame my condition for that :goofy: Doug is a cool man!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, (finally) time for a update!

Did turn around the VFR the other day in the garage, as I decided will do some stuff to the front end while I get inspiration to go on whit the tail part...more of that later.

large.IMG_1126.JPG

I have a set of OEM brake discs to mount (from a CBR600F2)

large.IMG_1125.JPG

Also got the painted faring lowers before the Christmas Holidays

large.IMG_1124.JPG

I started by adding the left mirror that was also painted

large.IMG_1120.JPG

As the left handlebar switch

large.IMG_1121.JPG

The part I got is for a US model, same looking but missing the high beam flash. There is however a other difference, the US version has one more plug! Have to see if I can leave it like that, or do I need to do some wire work?

The faring inner panels the right side was damaged, and Bert has kindly scored up a good one for me that I await to get in the mail. The one on my bike was painted gray,

large.IMG_1122.JPG

Most likely by spray can, and I tougth it would be an easy task to clean them out...wrong. I got me some paint stripper but as I tested on the damaged one, it do take out the paint, BUT also melts the plastic! Bummer.

large.IMG_1123.JPG

A bit depressing....Any toughts to clean the paint off would be nice! If I can´t get it cleaned out, I need a left one to! I need to get them stock blue to pass the classic inspection!

The to rear problem.

Well as I did mention the part of the sub frame you can unbolt, that has the seat lock, was cracked, and I decided to buy a other rather than weld the old, it had holes drilled for the hard side bag holders as well. So I found one on the web for sale that looked good, had even the sticker for the helmet lock, but as it came it was not as nice as in the pics, rust here and there, panted on to look nice. So I have been using sand paper to get most of and get a good finnish for it, but that´s a job I really don´t like....

large.IMG_1127.JPGlarge.IMG_1129.JPGlarge.IMG_1130.JPG

Also need to figure out how the change the seat lock!

large.IMG_1128.JPG

One more thing. Anyone have a OEM front mud flap whit mounting hardware in the drawer? I would like to find one!

Take a pic of that extra plug and i'll let you know where it connects on my US bike, i've got all the fairings off as we speak anyway so should be easy enough to figure out. What was wrong with your old switch? I actually thought about switching to your style to get the flash to pass. Great progress, things are really coming along for you. A little sanding and body filler on that panel that paint stripper messed up and it should look good as new.

Here some pics of the extra plug. From Hayens manual wire diagram its for the US amber daylight, so I think I can use them just as is.

large.IMG_1233.JPGlarge.IMG_1232.JPG

For why change the switch:

large.IMG_1235.JPG

And I also like the hi-low beam switch better, the push in to change one is not so easy to use I think.

And the panel I tested to remove paint from is the damaged, so will not come in use

large.IMG_1238.JPG

The to the odd thing why the fuel pump was wired from the tail light. Looks like te R/R is different from a OEM, its not bolted in place, glued, and the other connection is tie ziped to hold together, but seem to work OK, BUT as can be seen from next picture, no fuel cut relay present...Have to get one...

large.IMG_1237.JPG

My early 86 F1 bike doesn't even have that plug that i can find. You should be ok leaving it off though, if your lights don't work or something you'll know pretty quick once you hook it all up. I know the euro bikes have an extra connector on the right hand switch for the on/off/park lights switch, so maybe that is the deal.

For fuel cut relay the white plug and bullet connector should be what you need to go back to stock. I just went through this recently, there is a cheaper aftermarket unit out there by K&L you can modify to fit. That black two wire connector by your reg/rec connector should be the one that goes straight to your fuel pump.

On mine the reg/rec connector and fuel pump connector are hidden under this little guy:

Np6TAky.jpg

P4IPi6v.jpg

You might be able to find another source locally(if you care to replace it), but here is a source i found for em:

http://www.cycleterminal.com/connector-covers.html

As for your reg/rec woes you should remount it good enough for your liking, and then solder the 3 yellow stator wires straight to the reg/rec connector. Your reg/rec connector looks to be new and zip tied well enough, but the spade terminals are not great and known to fail on these things and your stator connector looks original. I'm waiting on a rebuilt stator now, this is what mine looked like recently:

dQpnBHv.jpg

• Member Contributer

if the fuel pump relay of a 4th gen will work,  I have one somewhere (from redslut)....

I will open up that connection from the stator, I know becorse the connector on my 3rd gen did look like this:

gallery_880_2573_632916.jpggallery_880_2573_1004959.jpg

For the additional connection from the left switch, seem only the VFR700F2 have them, according to Hayens manual wire diagrams.

Dutchy, have any pics of the RedSlut fuel cut relay?

A small upgrade today.

large.IMG_1239.JPGlarge.IMG_1240.JPG

What I did notice is that the brake pads are about 75% worn, so perhaps a new set is in order! Have new for the rear already!

Also did order a set of Metzeler Lasertec in OEM size. Current Pirelli Sport Demons are not totally worn out, fairly fresh whit  -12/-14 DOT stamps, but both are +one size (120/80 front and 140/70 rear), front show sign of cupping and the rear is close to the end of its life as a bit square. From testing whit different size I know the -86 VFR handle best whit OEM size tires.

large.IMG_1245.JPGlarge.IMG_1246.JPGlarge.IMG_1244.JPGlarge.IMG_1243.JPG

Have to see if I start season whit fresh rubber or let the rough spring tarmac kill the SportDemons.......

I was close to get Dunlop Street Smarts, but I like the classic look of the Metzelers, and here good things about them, so decided to get them. The classic tread from the old ME33 as ME55 really fits any mid 80´s to mid 90´s bike just right look vise I think.

000477001.1.jpg

8 hours ago, VFRBert said:

The 88-89 model had a 140 rear tire on 17 inch, so should not be a problem.

I know, but it got a higher profile(140/80-17) so profile stays nice. Whit the 140/70 I have huge "chiken stripes" on the rear tire (see the pics I posted of the tires) even I ride so the pegs touch at times, and whit a 130/80 almost non (or non), so I use the tire better and proberly have a bigger foot print=more rubber on ground = more grip. That´s why I like a 130 better than a 140 on the 86/87 VFR750F. I did ride the bike a tad more than 1000kms during a week in August last year, so yes, the tires can be used, no problem, more a thing of what I like better. :fing02:

Ok, a bit off topic, but as I did buy some old magazines from mid 80´s they had a test ride from 1986 as a 750 class comparison from 1986 as some sales adds. Did scan some of the pictures so enjoy! :lurk:

large.CCF25012017_00001.jpglarge.58885304d92d3_Image(34).jpg

The text "siinä on tyyliä" in next picture is Finnish and translate to "It got style" in English Text "Koeajo" in the following picture translate to "test ride" Bike is the name of the magazines I did buy.

large.588852fad5870_CCF25012017_00003(2).jpg

large.588852f8e07a9_CCF25012017_00002(2).jpglarge.588852f416b8c_CCF25012017_00000(2).jpg

Archived