RC24 fever, "New" bike added to garage

keny

Well my love for VFR´s started back in the late 80´s when I came home after a motorcycle show and did see on all the brochures that I did bring home, and in the Honda one I saw this pic:

Honda%20VFR750F%2088%20%203.jpg

Still got that broshure (have to scan and post a better pic that this found on the net  Done!)

large.CCF31072016_00000.jpg.4514bec9ee70

large.CCF31072016_00001.jpg.93c914589157

Anyway, did take a bit more than 10 years until I did buy a 1987 in dec 2001.

gallery_880_2173_33048.jpg

Pic from 2008 in Germany, taken by V4Rosso!

I had the bike until Jan 2010, when I got tempted to get a bike you get more modern rubber to, got a 5th gen.

med_gallery_880_2173_56404.jpg

Selling the 1987 RC24 is what I have regret many times....never felt the 5th gen was "my" bike, even a good bike!

Eventually sold the 5th gen spring 2015, and after a short love story whit a sweet 1985 VF500FII

med_gallery_880_2173_300948.jpg

traded it for a 3rd gen. Nice bike in many ways, might be best looking VFR (at least as red) but still my RC24 fever is bad.

med_gallery_880_2173_144335.jpg

Now I have one that might buy a 3rd gen.....so the fever for a RC24 is even higher!

Did go and look at a 1989 RC24 in a shop yesterday, a red as in the brochure

honda-vfr-2035576_l_64679ba5bf0801b4.jpg

Was sweet looking in a short distance, had a test ride, even had a rough idle (carbs in need of a clean)did ride like a champ even 101k kms on the clock and a slightly leaking exhaust, but had no front brakes! Closter inspection gave clear the rotors had surface rust deep enough to need replacement (even not that old), and a rotten collector box. Tires dot stamp did say 2006/2004! Also closer inspection did show many panels did not fit properly, and as I did take of the seat the rear parts attachments where broken or glued...also sign of a repaint. So even it had the passenger seat cover in the top box, at a last price of 1300€ (1450€ asking price) it was a walk away!

Now I have 2 different options to look at, a other 1989 and a 1986.

The 1989 (EU only model like the red I was and looked at) is from a local seller that lives about 2 h drive away, its color is black, not my favorit color, but has an exelent history, only 2 owners of witch seller for 20+ years! Has 134k km on the clock.....quit much.

But these last, and looks very nice in the pics, so worth a look I think. Asking price is 1550€...Will go and look at it Wednesday August 3rd.

medium.IMG_0764.JPG.5facda43fd4eac4d9165

, the 1986 in a shop quit far away, about 5½h drive. Asking price is 1290€

honda-vfr-2041572_l_91c2b334e6b8f048.jpg

Looks quit clear even has also about 130k kms on the clock. Tempting in the way as could be titled as a classic next year if pass inspection (needs oem style brake discs as oem blue seat cover as oem rear turn signals for that at least) and I would get cheap insurance! Looks good in the pics, but that do most bikes!

Lets se how it go. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you guys not get the red/white/blue rc24's? I mean obviously it is the best possible color combo on them right? (i'm way biased hehehe)

The RWB RC24 is sweat, yes, but was not officially sold in Europe, even gray imports do exist, but we did get the upgraded RC24 that America did not, 17"wheels (even still skinny), 41mm fork, clock in the dash + many other small upgrades.

Where I live the RC24 was available in 1986 only as white, in 1987 as silver blue (the one I had) and for 1988-89 in 3 colors, Red, White as Black.

Did look at the black -89 today. Stong contender! Really nice in many ways, even not a 100% minter.  Belly pan resprayed in slightly different black, tires bald and the price is firm, so I will have a look at the white -86 on Friday!

• Member Contributer

That might be a blessing in disguise, The white 86 looks awesome! Good Luck

I also do prefer the white over black, still a Red or a RWB would be the top choices, but the 86 has potential, can get the round clocks for it as convent it to a rwb perhaps? I will know more in 26h!

Let's make it official, I'm now a owner of a 1986 VFR750F ! The white one.

Congratulations. Round clocks are found standard on soms White. I Have a white one imported from Canada, with round clocks factory fitted. I do not like the square clocks.

Thanks. I do have plans to find a set of round clocks! Ride home was ~450kms on two days, first day had about 100km of more or less heavy rain including a HEAVY thunderstorm! The vfr passed whit out a problem even it don't have the mud flap on the front fender!

• Member Contributer

No picture, does not exist..... :-)

Speaking of pictures....

Hello Finland!!!

IMAG4562.jpg

large.IMG_9648.JPG

So I have done about 1000kms on the RC24 whit in a week, and the pic above is from the last day I will ride the bike this year (Wednesday). Don´t get me wrong, I love the bike! I will ride it more! I just used the possibility to ride one week on the shops insurance! Yesterday I had it taken off road and now it will wait to have a few things done to pass the original classic inspection so I can ride it when I want whit a minimal insurance pay!

Well the bike is 30 years old, it has its history, but to me its in quit good shape! To pass the classic inspection I need to do some things:

-change to OEM style brake rotors

-find oem rear turn signals (and pereferly also right front that is some faded to slight yellowish).

-find a oem screen.

-find a oem white good condition mirror.

large.IMG_9664.JPG

-find/repair the faring inners, painted and right side one is repaired ugly way.

large.IMG_9653.JPG

-if the 1986 white RC24 did not had a black seat cover as stock for some market, I need to find a oem blue one ore close enough match.

large.IMG_9668.JPG

Other that that, whit some cleaning I think it will pass the inspection. It has some damage, it has been dropped onto right side at some point, upper faring is repaired as repainted, has still a crack. Bothe side fairings has some minior marks. Also the rear plastic that holds the tail light has a crack and the attachments under the seat has broke. So if I find a good top faring as rear part (oem parts) for not silly money I might buy them and update.

large.IMG_9654.JPGlarge.IMG_9655.JPG

One thing that bugs me is that the shop that did sell it clamed 135k kms.

large.IMG_9660.JPG

But as you look at the bike closer on many things, I wounder if its actually only 36k kms?

Here some pics, what do you think? Bike has not had that many owners, even no service history is avable.

large.IMG_9667.JPGlarge.IMG_9666.JPGlarge.IMG_9663.JPGlarge.IMG_9662.JPGlarge.IMG_9661.JPGlarge.IMG_9658.JPGlarge.IMG_9657.JPGlarge.IMG_9659.JPGlarge.IMG_9652.JPGlarge.IMG_9656.JPG

Aside the added side cases and rear turn signals, front brake rotors and screen the bike seem totally orginal. Now if only ridden 36k kms, why are the front brake discs changed? Look? OEM cracked? (my old -87 had one OEM front cracked!)

Sorry for a dirty bike, rained as I and Dutchy headed to Tallin Estonia, had not had time to wash it since but will sure do it!

One thing I have on my wish list to do is change the clocks to the round once! Its OK for the classic inspection. But did the white (Canada) round clock RC24s have "sand" engine covers as stock? The I need to find a set of them to!

• Member Contributer

And yes folks, Kenny knows how to make this white lightning rip!!!! :-)

If anyone has parts I'm looking for or interested in swamping OEM (style also ok) front brake discs for my JTB wave once for just shipping I'm in for that to! Take contact if you have!

Did score a nice OEM screen from The Netherlands!

Also did find a braker in Germany that has nice swing arm bolts as the orginal long rear fender whit the cat eye, but are a bit costly so will look further

16 hours ago, VFRBert said:

Do nog throw away your own screen, it is possible to polish All the scratches away. 

The screen on the bike is some aftermarket smoke (all way, not black over the headlight so you see all the dash connections thro it), will save it eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, an update.

Finally mounted the OEM screen I found, quit a change to the better!

large.WP_20160910_12_52_15_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20160910_12_59_33_Pro.jpg

I also have OEM white turn signals on the way.

Already got a better left side switch, its from a 1986 VFR700F, and its slightly different, the high/low beam switch and missing the passing light trigger (for flashing the high beam)

But still far better condition!

large.WP_20160909_13_39_06_Pro.jpg

Also have a left side mirror on the way....

Archived