What does everyone use for bike to bike communication?

Rambler358

• Member Contributer

Went with the Cardo Pack Talk, had Scala Rider G9x prior. The Pack Talk works great when used in DMC mode, also allows rider to rider comms with one other Bluetooth channel, so essentially you can listen to music or hear Radar Detector while staying in contact with other rider(s). The Pack Talk can have up to 15 riders connected when in DMC mode and allows seamless adding and removing of riders. 

• Member Contributer

Depends what you want.

Bluetooth will never have the range of a radio or a system that uses yr mobile phone data signal (Fusar).

I used to have a PTT radio but used it so rarely I sold it. Most of my riding friends now have a bluetooth comms system so if we're out riding, it's a simple job to pair them so we can talk. 

YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Had a FRS Chatterbox...but stopped using it.  Now I have a U-Clear... both work fine.

• Member Contributer

I prefer Motorcycle Hand Signals And Pointers While Riding In Groups

Point to your eye (I) ... point to you knee (NEED)... point to your tank (GAS)... 

Point to your eye (I) ... point to you knee (NEED)... point to your butt (REST STOP)... 

Point to your eye (I) ... point to you knee (NEED)... point to your mouth (FOOD)... 

Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet means law nearby...

Point at ground Careful, there's something on the road (Note that you aren't pointing at the hazard necessarily, as this might not be convenient)

Hand signals are incredibly archaic when compared to actual voice comm in real time.  It increases safety by making everyone in the network "see" what others are seeing as well as warn other riders of events as they unfold.  Imagine knowing there are debris on the road BEFORE you see them!  We've literally saved everyone from getting expensive tickets simply because of the comms (and radar detector).  It's also especially helpful when the lead rider can tell others in the group to make a turn or what the next direction change will be.  The difference is a game changer in my opinion.

• Member Contributer

You'll probably find that all of the latest comm systems are about the same quality but the features will differ. Cardo, Sena and uClear are pretty much the main players and all seem to have a decent set of entry level units. How many riders, how many BT connections and what you're main reason for having one would determine which one would be the best for you. That's my take.

• Member Contributer

BTW I love the boom less mic of the Uuclear...works perfectly w my modular.  Sound is great too...very clear

• Member Contributer

If you are going to invest in B2B comms stay away from systems that daisy chain the riders together.  As with any chain these are only as stong as the weakest link and once a link is broken the comms are compromised.

The DMC mesh comms that the Pack Talk scala rider system uses work very well.

I have some Fusar items on the way, the comms willarrive before the camera is ready so I hope to have some real world expereince with their system soon.

• Member Contributer

I started off using the Chatterbox system but kept having issues with one of the two components. About 3 years ago I switched to the Scala Q2 BT and it has not failed me or my passenger. I enjoy having comms with passenger and other riders, for awareness and directions. 

I started off using the Chatterbox system but kept having issues with one of the two components. About 3 years ago I switched to the Scala Q2 BT and it has not failed me or my passenger. I enjoy having comms with passenger and other riders, for awareness and directions.

Agree, comms are definitely a must have for me when riding in groups or with a passenger. I gotta admit - the new Chatterbox X2 Slim with the wireless PTT looks very nice. And I still think FRS/GMRS frequencies are best for B2B for distance and ease of use. But I don't think many people still use Chatterbox anymore.

Archived