Naked Delight - Phase 2

BiKenG

Got around to finishing off some of the externals and also swapped the Race Tech dash for the OEM CrossTourer dash. I was fed up with trying to match the VFR's proprietary serial protocol for some of the important info to the dash, to RS232 that the Race Tech dash uses. I had something of an epiphany and realised the CrossTourer dash should work right away without any more frigging about and at half the price. In fact I can re-purpose the Race Tech dash for use on my VFR800 project where it'll be very suitable and no silly serial protocols to make life difficult.

However, if anyone is thinking of using the X dash on an F, beware. The wires are all the same, as is the connector used, BUT the pin arrangement is NOT the same. Once the pinouts and colours are known it's not hard to re-configure the wires into the connector, but you have to know. If anyone wants this info, just ask.

The tacho is limited to a lower maximum than on the F, but I never ride at such high revs anyway so doesn't bother me. Also the fuel level sender unit of the X has a wider range, so by default the gauge flashes when about 3 bars still showing. I added a 70 Ohm resistor so 'reserve' is now accurate, but it never shows full. Not a big deal and I'll be looking into DC:DC converters to correct this some time.

Otherwise it all works. :biggrin:

Here's some updated pics:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldlci78c7za020v/AABmDWdq4cI2FlbGYc0nFWGRa?dl=0

For Phase 3, QuickShifter still needs to be better configured for upshifts and yet to work out how to implement the blipper for downshifts. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas about this. Cruise Control to be incorporated and re-finished in red.

Also, I actually think the air intakes are too large for this bike. I will have a go at designing something a bit different, smaller and more discreet. It's hard to do without modifying the tank side panels. So to get something better I'll have to resign myself to modifying those plastic panels slightly to allow a better, more suitable intake.

Watch this space...

4 hours ago, Bartho said:

a beauty . That exhaust is nice what type off akra did you use ?

ZX-10R - unmodified. I just had to make a link pipe from the VFR's outlet to the inlet pipe of the muffler. A fairly simple S bend and means the Akrapovic can be easily replaced should I damage it.

Archived