The Ace Of Spades Baltics Tour 2016

Dutchy

• Member Contributer
On 8/14/2016 at 6:47 AM, Dutchy said:

Trip over, broken wrist....

No! What a bummer ending to a great adventure (with great photos). ATGATT! I'm glad you are (mostly) okay and hope the insurance stuff sorts out reasonably well for you.

On 8/14/2016 at 8:43 AM, Dutchy said:

The driver phoned me to apologise.

That is a classy move that people mostly don't do here in the states where everyone's desperate fear of losing the lawsuit lottery has chased some forms of basic decency to the brink of extinction.

16 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I fear pics of redslut will earn me a ban on vfrd since no crash pictutes are allowed here..

Wait... does VFRD have such a policy? I had no idea. I'm sure I remember seeing member accident photos previously, such as:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/82390-wrecked

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/82820-bit-by-the-dragon

In any case, best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. And thank you for the great photo-journalism -- bummer ending and all.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well, the crux is a "Sir Terry" (not to be confused with a Prince Albert by the way)

Frame broke off completely (both left and right)

IMAG5011.thumb.jpg.c98a308b3798ec0e6786267294ffeb2a.jpg

IMAG5018.jpg

IMAG5005.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. So glad you came out in much better shape Dutchy!

• Member Contributer

Okay, Dutchy, you've already acclimated us to bad news, so let's just skip ahead to the end and be done with it: What happened to the three bottles of whisky you had in the top case?

• Member Contributer

A few more pics as the driver picked me up in the town where the hospital is located (80km away) to the smaller town where we need to report in under 2 hours.

I came from here (from where the truck is)

IMAG4999.jpg

(Redslut robble swiped aside....)

They came from here, turning left, not having spotted me.

IMAG4996.jpg

I hit the rear axle of the car, myself falling forward to the door (see the dent)

I am very happy, not to mention lucky that redslut didnot hit the passenger door. For their 3 small kids were sitting there.. 

IMAG5000.jpg

He had to bend the fender make the car mobile.

• Member Contributer

So sorry to hear about this and it was going so well :-(. I'm so glad to see that you're OK though, get well soon.

Just read this thread. Was enjoying it immensely (not as much as you), until now (not as much as you either).

Bummer, major bummer. Yet as always your resilience and "sunny side up" attitude shine through.

Glad to see you're OK, nothing that won't heal.

Next time you want to cut a motorcycle trip short and return via airplane because you miss wifey don't resort to such drastic tactics and cough up the money!!

Job? Open a sauna with a window in the red light district in Amsterdam.

• Member Contributer

Sorry about Redslut. But Cougar will be ready at home waiting for you when you are all healed up.

Yes, what happened to the whiskey? 

Good luck with the insurance company and such. 

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Well, I left the clutchcover and 8 spoker on the bike as the salvage company owner started to talk rubbish...

So I left town after sorting out the police business (no problem, the made a clear report and I have a copy. The translator was great too) and initiating claim procedures.

Am now at the airport hotel for a 07:35am flight home.

Life's a journey, not a destination.

-Aerosmith

• Member Contributer

Any plans to buy her back from the insurance company and salvage what you can?

It's what I did with my 5th Gen, though she wasn't as badly damaged as Redslut.

• Member Contributer

The

Laphroiag quarter cask

Hakushu distillers choice and

Highland Park 18yr

Are all ok!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Hey Dutchy, 

So the car driver was coming in the opposite direct to you & turned across your path, is that correct ? 

Which would explain how you ended up hitting the right rear quarter of the car. 

Can I ask do/were you riding with headlights on ?

• Member Contributer
Just now, Dutchy said:

The

Laphroiag quarter cask

Highland Park 18yr

Are all ok!!!!!

Result!  :beer:

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Dutchy said:

The

Laphroiag quarter cask

Highland Park 18yr

Are all ok!!!!!

sounds to me like you still are ahead...

Safe journey home Leon. 

C

• Member Contributer

I wearing my dayglo orange helmet, dayglo yellow raonsuit (it had dried up) 

IMAG4972.jpg

Double headlights and LED dlrl's....

IMAG0039.jpg

He simply did not look or was distracted

Exerpt (names removed) from official police investigation

IMAG5049_1.jpg

Sure was easy to see you in the mirrors even in bright daylight! And even the RC24:s when moving my head slightly sideways :)

the distraction, phone, kids, radio? Only driver knows.

• Member Contributer

Airport hotel

Gin Tonic

Smoked pork

Life ain't a bad place to be :-)

IMAG5079.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, keny said:

Sure was easy to see you in the mirrors even in bright daylight! And even the RC24:s when moving my head slightly sideways :)

the distraction, phone, kids, radio? Only driver knows.

Sometimes, when you are not looking for something (expecting), you cannot see it. 

C

• Member Contributer

Leon: I am really sorry that this happened to you and your fine bike. All the usual platitudes, of course.

But I have a better explanation for the cause of the accident!

Clearly the driver forgot to: Pass the Dutchy...

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

Someties, when you are not looking for something (expecting), you cannot see it. 

Exactly this.

I haven't looked at motorcycle accident statistics recently, but my recollection is that most accidents are single-vehicle events -- usually a failure to successfully negotiate a turn due to: road hazards, excessive speed, insufficient rider competency, or possibly some level of intoxication. Next in frequency are the two vehicle accidents, and of those the overwhelming majority are of the left-turn/failure-to-yield variety exactly like this one. If, as a motorcyclist, you are going to be in an accident through no fault of your own, this type of accident is the most probable scenario. Almost without exception, the non-yielding driver will state that they simply "never saw" the motorcycle. This dynamic is so consistent through time that Cogswell and Skids were posting variations of this cliche to newrider's "Riding Quotes" thread almost concurrently with Dutchy's initial accident report:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/84263-riding-quotes/&page=2#comment-1044746

Obviously I have no idea what actually happened in Dutchy's case specifically, but in general my personal theory regarding this class of sensory failure is that the driver's eyes "see" the motorcycle, but his mind doesn't. That is, he points his eyes in the correct direction (upstream traffic), and the light emanating from the motorcycle successfully passes through his pupils and strikes his retinas, but his mind doesn't push the information into his awareness. Why? Because the mind is an imperfect pattern-matching organ that is scanning for "traffic" in a way that is implemented as scanning for "car-like shapes of a certain size and speed" and things that don't fit the "car-like shapes of a certain size and speed" pattern are sometimes completely filtered from awareness -- especially so for a low-intensity, habit-based reflex that is given a brief second of attention before a driver executes (what he anticipates to be) a routine turn just like the thousands that preceded it.

There is a famous video that powerfully illustrates this type of selective attention failure: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

...that I won't describe further in case you wish to (possibly) experience it first hand. Can you successfully count the number of passes? I have been in group demonstrations where the attention failures are profound and mind-blowing.

Anyway, if you buy this analysis, then the best practices are probably to have good headlights and road-contrasty gear (both of which Dutchy had), plus ride like you are invisible, plus hope for decent luck -- because even the most cautious and prepared rider can't push his risk down to zero. Of course we all know this. I think a shared respect for the genuine risks of the sport is a part of what binds us as a community.

Good to hear you're on your way out of Lithuania and going home ( with a small collection of whiskey )

even it was the worst ending of the tour, I still hope you think it was worth it

I enjoyed your company on the first part that was fun

thanks for sharing !

how about that wrist how long to get bandage off ?

have a safe flight home tomorrow

• Member Contributer

RobF, that second paragraph about brain verses eye perception corrolates nicely with my own knowledge of accidents. I have sworn that if it ever hapens again & I'm fit & able when the driver says "sorry mate I didn't see you" or SMIDSY in the UK then I'm going to beat them to death !!!!!!

Sometimes I ask people when talking about driving/riding & accidents or near misses, "what do you look for" & almost always regardless of car or bike driver, they say CARS ! sometimes they say other road users. But I try to get them to think or look for MOVEMENT. Stationary objects DON'T cause crashes & yes a stationary vehicle of person may move & cause an accident, but then they are moving !  Staionary things are potential hazards, but moving things have kinetic energy & can hurt you !  if you attune your sences to look for movement, then you WILL see pedestrians, cyclists & all other road users very easily.

Works for me, unfortunately does not help when you have right of way & the other person, like in Dutchy's case does NOT see you :(

Archived