Trip to Mugello Moto GP

DSC_3120.JPG

This was my first long trip on the VFR, we did 2200 miles in 7 days to see Rossi in the Moto GP. I thought I would share the experience with you guys as to how the little VFR coped.

Travelling from the English Midlands, through France, Switzerland and into Italy.  We averaged 55 mph, with 6.5 hours every day in the saddle plus stops.  That includes rush hour Milan and Florence!

The bike averaged 51.7 miles per UK gallon.

The other bikes on the trip included a 1098 Ducati, ZX10, R1200GS, Triumph Explorer, Blackbird and a KTM RC8 (!)  so my Honda was the smallest of the bunch, those of you who say the Honda is not fast enough, need to try harder!  It does like to rev, and it will keep up with the rest of them with no problem.

Cuising raised some small issues, there is a slight flat spot around 6.2K revs and a steady throttle when the VTEC kicks in is a bit of a nuisance, (96-98 MPH) so that means travelling either above this speed or below.  Accelerating through the VTEC engagement is no problem at all.

Bike was comfortable for a full days ride (unlike some of the other guys bikes, Ducati anyone?) however it was good to get off after 110 miles for a stretch and to relieve a numb bum (gel seat available?).

Luggage consisted of an old GIVI topbox, a Oxford Aquabag and a SW Motech Quicklock tank bag - really good bit of kit.  I had a TomTom 400 sat nav, also very good, highly recommended.  All waterproof as the rain in Italy proved

I have also fitted bar risers and a Powerbronze double bubble screen, really comfortable, takes all the wind blast off the body.

Chain did not need adjusting, (i have a Scotoiler) and it used no oil at all, despite high temperatures and slow traffic, unlike the Triumph which got through over a litre of oil.

I managed to trash the standard tyres (4,500 miles) and needed a new set when I got back - I am now trying Metzeler Roadtec 01's, so far so good.

Travelling over the alps was great, we rode though snow on the Spluga pass and 2 degrees celcius , a bit different from 29 degress in Florence the previous day! Bike handles well in the twisties, no complaints at all.

Coming back from Italy was interesting - France seemed to be on strike - No fuel was available,  so return trip was via Luxemburg, Belgium with trips in and out of France.  Made life interesting.

Overall bike was brilliant, really enjoyed the trip and the bike certainly helped, it is fast enough, just needs more right wrist and the bike responds.

i hope this is useful info for you

Carlos

DSC_2900.JPG

• Member Contributer

Very good indeed. Glad you enjoyed your trip.  Like you I have just completed a 10 day tour of the Scottish highlands in varying weather. 2000 miles of fantastic scenery, roads and bloody tourists.  

Rear prs 3 is down to the wear bars. Don't have info but will check tomorrow. 

Last i I looked it was something like 44 mpg but thrashing it in 2,3 and 4th doesn't help. 

Just did a similar trip last week, went to Garda torrential rain through parts of France, but great roads thru Alps, bikes took it all in their stride, twisties, and long motorway stints. 

Had just put Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on prior to trip and they were excellent.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! It was also my first long tour on my 2015 VFR.  Went to the Vosges region in France and into the Swiss Alps. 1600 miles in 6 days and I couldn't really fault the VFR at all.  The bike easily held its own against a Z1000SX, R1 and Fireblade.  I did have some shoulder discomfort even though I have Honda bar risers, and wondered whether it would be possible to fit another spacer (with longer bolts) to raise the bars even more?  I had a quick look and it looks like the brake lines and cables have enough slack.  Anyone done this or considered it?

DSC_0699.JPG

8 hours ago, mistersteviechen said:

Me too! It was also my first long tour on my 2015 VFR.  Went to the Vosges region in France and into the Swiss Alps. 1600 miles in 6 days and I couldn't really fault the VFR at all.  The bike easily held its own against a Z1000SX, R1 and Fireblade.  I did have some shoulder discomfort even though I have Honda bar risers, and wondered whether it would be possible to fit another spacer (with longer bolts) to raise the bars even more?  I had a quick look and it looks like the brake lines and cables have enough slack.  Anyone done this or considered it?

Yes, I have TWO of the Honda spacers under my bars. Bought the bike used and did not realize the previous owner already had installed 1 set. I ordered the Honda spacers before discovering there was 1 set already installed, and also before discovering the person on this forum that makes and sells his own version of spacers.

I believe the second set does help my comfort. There is still enough of the fork tube protruding to resist rotation of the handlebars.

You will need longer screws, of course.

WP_20160217_13_18_12_Pro.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Carlos, spotted your comment about your Powerbronze screen.  Was the wind really bad with the standard screen as I am having problems with wind blast and looking to change screens?

ps great pictures.

On 18-6-2016 at 8:10 PM, Carlosfandango said:

Spluga pass is certainly worth a visit

Absolutely. Nice trip report, hadn't seen it before. Me, keny and douglasthecook went there 5 years ago, too bad the links to the pics appear broken, but they are still in our VFRd albums.

On 2016-10-02 at 0:29 PM, V4 Rosso said:

Absolutely. Nice trip report, hadn't seen it before. Me, keny and douglasthecook went there 5 years ago, too bad the links to the pics appear broken, but they are still in our VFRd albums.

Agree and yes a great trip we had 2011! Have to see if I get the pics  links sorted......

Archived