Golden / Silver State 2016 - September 10 & 11, Kernville, CA

BrianF

• Member Contributer

I don't have the VFR anymore. But I have a couple other bikes. And I am probably off. Fri thru Sun. I start a vacation with my wife on the following Monday and thinking I can take this ride and meet up with her in SLO on Monday. I have a hitch carrier for the bike so I can pack that in the SUV before we leave. 

It's been a brutal year with so much work and so little time off I have been waiting to take a break. I am taking another ride up in the area the following weekend with friends from BurnTheEdge.com. Then back to a massive work schedule for several weeks. May be the perfect storm for me to ride. Wishing I had the VFR though. My FZ1 gets maybe 140 miles range. The Triumph Street Triple maybe a little better.

How many miles are you planning between fuel stops?

Also interested to know if anyone has a room they want to share cost with. Couch is fine. I can bring a blow up mattress if floor space is all that is available. I have already booked a small fortune of motels and rentals for my vacation. I can rent a room and share it as well if anyone is interested.  

New FZ1.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

I don't have the VFR anymore. But I have a couple other bikes. And I am probably off. Fri thru Sun. I start a vacation with my wife on the following Monday and thinking I can take this ride and meet up with her in SLO on Monday. I have a hitch carrier for the bike so I can pack that in the SUV before we leave. 

It's been a brutal year with so much work and so little time off I have been waiting to take a break. I am taking another ride up in the area the following weekend with friends from BurnTheEdge.com. Then back to a massive work schedule for several weeks. May be the perfect storm for me to ride. Wishing I had the VFR though. My FZ1 gets maybe 140 miles range. The Triumph Street Triple maybe a little better.

How many miles are you planning between fuel stops?

Also interested to know if anyone has a room they want to share cost with. Couch is fine. I can bring a blow up mattress if floor space is all that is available. I have already booked a small fortune of motels and rentals for my vacation. I can rent a room and share it as well if anyone is interested.  

That's a slick looking FZ. We don't discriminate on bike types, no worries there. I think only about 1/2 this group has VFRs.

Fuel-wise, you'll be fine I think. Gas stops are (based on past experience):

Kernville to Three Rivers - 120 miles

Three Rivers to Clingan's Jct - 100 miles (maybe 40 more if we go into King's Canyon itself)

Clingan's to Shaver Lake - 70 miles

Shaver to Mariposa - 80 miles

Mariposa to Mi-Wuk - 110

Mi-Wuk to Meyers - 155 (though there is fuel in Walker at the 85 mile mark)

Meyers to Auburn - 104

I used to have a 7th gen, so I don't do rides without lots of fuel stations haha.

As for rooms, anyone who wants to share feel free to PM Capt.Bob. I've already roomied up or I'd offer.

• Member Contributer
On 9/3/2016 at 4:06 PM, BrianF said:

I think we can make Mariposa by 9:00 or 9:30. Gonna have to be an early start from Shaver no matter what - it's a long ride and days are only getting shorter.

Just text me.

Brian, it's 2 hours from Shaver Lake to Mariposa... It might be more like 10:00...

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, crazybrother said:

Brian, it's 2 hours from Shaver Lake to Mariposa...

Not the way Brian rides!

2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Not the way Brian rides!

Cant argue with that logic.

I'd think 10:00 at the absolute latest - try to leave Shaver at 7:30?

• Member Contributer
On 9/2/2016 at 10:12 PM, tc339 said:

Haven't totally decided what time I'm going to leave yet, but most likely going to take the coast down to avoid riding through the valley and dealing with the heat. Care to join?

Tristan, what is your planned route... and timeframe...

• Member Contributer

It may have been whiskey logic to think my wife would go along with this. I have to back out of this. Too much going on. But will look forward to riding with you guys another time

4 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

It may have been whiskey logic to think my wife would go along with this. I have to back out of this. Too much going on. But will look forward to riding with you guys another time

I just realized I didn't even have you on the "IN" list - must've been a premonition. No worries, we'll catch you next time. I keep thinking about organizing a SoCal tour (The Snake, 33, Angeles Crest, Palomar etc) for this same group. One of these days...

• Member Contributer

Just watching the ride unfold. Looks good. I'll be coming up from San Diego, starting Friday morning and dawdling through Angeles Crest, Tujunga, Lake Hughes, then flat straight highway to 178.

Question - does KSU mean kickstand up, or Kentucky State University?

12 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

Just watching the ride unfold. Looks good. I'll be coming up from San Diego, starting Friday morning and dawdling through Angeles Crest, Tujunga, Lake Hughes, then flat straight highway to 178.

Yeah it's KickStands Up. Also Kansas State University. And probably some others I don't know cuz I'm not that smart. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

If I can recommend going up through Caliente/Bodfish, It's off of the 58. Fun road and you come out above Lake Isabella with an awesome view! I'll see if I can get a google map for you.

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

I used part of your route just so it would build the route through Caliente. See if this works... https://goo.gl/maps/iKBRThspzBu

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Stucky said:

Well, I am officially out for this year; in KC for a funeral. Have fun and ride safe guys!

-Mike

Life, it's what gets in the way when we plan our rides! Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. This year I got foiled by a large project, although it keeps getting pushed back, I'm still behind schedule. Can't figure that one out. Hopefully next year we can all get back on the bandwagon and maybe add a few more!

4 hours ago, Stucky said:

Well, I am officially out for this year; in KC for a funeral. Have fun and ride safe guys!

-Mike

Bummer man, sorry to hear about your grandma. We'll catch ya next time!

Well, my bad Friday got even worse - so my departure time is likely going to be 4pm or so. That means about 10pm in Kernville. Sorry guys.

If no one's passed out or started a fight at the bar across the street by then I'll be very disappointed.

• Member Contributer

Hey Duc2V4,

The Caliente route came through great - thanks. I've dropped it into my phone. I dropped the Sat and Sun routes into my phone, but hope to get all three routes loaded in my Garmin Nuvi to obtain nav functionality in the rural areas of the ride. The Garmin is updating maps just now.

• Member Contributer

If we can coordinate the Mrs and I will plan to meet the group at the base of Monitor Pass and hwy 395 near Topaz Sunday.  We will do a sighting lap on Monitor and meet you at the wide pull out right after you turn onto 89 at the base of Monitor, bringing my silver 6th gen.   If you txt me when you are leaving Sonora that is about 2 hrs away and I can plan accordingly.  This spot also looks to be about 5 hr from Shaver Lake so if you leave ~7:30 puts you there about 13:00, depending on how many photo stops.   Do you think you will eat lunch in Sonora or later?   Some lunch options along your route, Markleville good sandwitch shop or S Tahoe good burger place near the Y.  Looking at other options than TAco Bell this year.   See you guys Sunday!  Safe Travels  

Heal up quick Ed...

42 minutes ago, RichVee4 said:

If we can coordinate the Mrs and I will plan to meet the group at the base of Monitor Pass and hwy 395 near Topaz Sunday.  We will do a sighting lap on Monitor and meet you at the wide pull out right after you turn onto 89 at the base of Monitor, bringing my silver 6th gen.   If you txt me when you are leaving Sonora that is about 2 hrs away and I can plan accordingly.  This spot also looks to be about 5 hr from Shaver Lake so if you leave ~7:30 puts you there about 13:00, depending on how many photo stops.   Do you think you will eat lunch in Sonora or later?   Some lunch options along your route, Markleville good sandwitch shop or S Tahoe good burger place near the Y.  Looking at other options than TAco Bell this year.   See you guys Sunday!  Safe Travels  

Heal up quick Ed...

This sounds pretty good Rich. Will do regarding the text in Sonora.

Sonora will probably be our lunch stop - or somewhere on the western side of the crest. I, of course, would like to hold out for Mt. View BBQ, but I might be eaten by the starving pack by that point. 

Last I recall I have service most of the way on 108 so I'll keep you posted as best I can. We'll aim for 13:00 for now.

3 hours ago, vguy said:

I was going to meet up in Kernville Saturday AM. Something has come up -- won't be able to make it after all. Have fun. Ride safe.

Bummer, but no worries. Things happen. We'll catch ya next time.

• Member Contributer

Just got home @ 4:30 after 3 days and 968 miles of twisted tarmac. Thanks again Brian for getting everything planned! I had a great time, much better than last year........for me at least.........

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

Just got home @ 4:30 after 3 days and 968 miles of twisted tarmac. Thanks again Brian for getting everything planned! I had a great time, much better than last year........for me at least.........

But you did bring some eggs just in case, right?

• Member Contributer

Hahaha.........Noel was surprised that I stopped in Three Rivers. That road up Sequoia Park is off the hook, as well as Kings Canyon!  I was in the zone on that one!

• Member Contributer

Very bummed I missed it this year. Work comes first though, without money I wouldn't be riding at all! 

Archived