Offline GPS for IOS

Squamishvfr

• Member Contributer
On June 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Squamishvfr said:

Meah, just the whole family has apple right down to the TV, I have a Iphone etc  I assume I can use my same itunes apps and music.  Seemed to make more sense.  

You've already got an iPhone with a GPS chip so download Navmii and try it out. No need for an iPad and save yourself the cost of the external GPS module.

I've used Navmii a bit in the car but not on the bike. But if you don't like it there are other apps to try. Since you plan on using voice navigation the larger iPad screen isn't a factor.

And regarding the post about it overheating, that is a definite possibility. I was using the Speedometer app to verify the bike's odo- and speedometer and the iPhone shut down within 20 minutes on a hot day sitting in the plastic window of my tank bag.

5 hours ago, auggius said:

You've already got an iPhone with a GPS chip so download Navmii and try it out. No need for an iPad

I assumed that he didn't want to look at the tiny little iPhone screen, but I am curious to see how he replies to this.

• Member Contributer
On June 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Squamishvfr said:

I'm interested to know what people have to say about the current offerings for loading GPS navigation onto an i-pad and slip that into my tank bag.  I'm after route planning and turn by turn navigation through the headphones for when I'm in Urban areas trying to find my way around.  I don't really think I need to keep it in view.   I'd like all the maps and data to be loaded on the device so I can have full use of it without a network connection.  

4 hours ago, Knight said:

I assumed that he didn't want to look at the tiny little iPhone screen, but I am curious to see how he replies to this.

He already stated his intentions in his original post.

On June 25, 2016 at 3:08 AM, Knight said:

Sorry. Working in camp. 100mb/day limit. 

So theres no room on my phone for anything more. Thought to get a bigger phone but many hundereds of dollars so why not gwt a free 5s and keep the rest of the cash for a ipad. Boater as well so good for charting im told. Know about overheating in the sun but i wont use it all the time and when i do it could live inside the bag out of the sun. I just would like the turn by turn feature for the bike.  No worse than an otterbox for overheating i figure. 

Archived