2017 Yamaha FZ-10 will be available in the USA later this month

• Member Contributer

I don't hate the styling and I am a big fan of the functional items like a crossplane 4 and the R1 chassis. The stretched out riding position is great and the wet weight of 46oish is acceptable. One other thing I want in a bike is a 200 mile tank range, something my new GSX-S does with ease and it is only a 4.7 gallon tank, the FZ-10 has a 4.5 gallon tank. Yamaha lists the mpg at 30. Disappointed but not completely turned off as this could be one of the best bikes to come along in years and that is saying a lot.

• Member Contributer

Could probably tune this to get better MPG and still have plenty of ponies left over...also if you could put a windshield/fairing on the front you might have a great bike to do some SPORT-touring...

Matt

• Member Contributer

Yamaha offers a windscreen as an accessory. As for me, I hope they make fully-faired version of the bike.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody say the bike looks like WALL-E.

FZ-10 windscreen.jpg

wall-e.jpg

• Member Contributer

There are maybe ten bikes out there that I consider potential replacements to my VFR. This bike would be one of them. But I only buy used bikes, so this would need to be a 2019 thing for me. Whenever I consider jumping the VFR ship, I always ask myself five questions:

1. Is this other bike impeccably well-engineered?
2. Is it sporty *and* a pleasure to ride for a few hours?
3. Does it have ABS?
4. Are good saddlebags and windscreens available?
5. Does it have a VFRD?

It's that last one that trips up all the competitors. VFRD is the best accessory and currently it's only offered for the VFR.

2017-Yamaha-FZ-10-USA-06.jpg060816top-i2.jpgdownload.jpg

Looks like a ton of fun with plenty of low end torque.    The 6th gen is fairly comfortable and fun machine but I'm really digging this new Yamaha.      I gotta get a ride on one.

I like the specs. I'm sure the headlight will grow on me. The cross plane engine is 2nd best to a V4 being available. Still quite a bit more money than the GSX-S1000 I just bought though. Maybe in a couple of years a nice low mileage used one will come up for sale.

• Member Contributer

Of course, I could just get the best of both worlds and wait till a used 2015 Aprilia Tuono shows up...

• Member Contributer

Guaranteed, both of these bikes -- Tuono and FZ-10 will hit the bike insurance just a little harder than my 2000 5th gen...slightly.

Matt

• Member Contributer

I've not read any reviews on the bike.

Does it have better suspension than the 09 did?

I recall that being a big failing on that model.

• Member Contributer
I've not read any reviews on the bike.

Does it have better suspension than the 09 did?

I recall that being a big failing on that model.

It's got the same engine and suspension as the R1S. Premium stuff for a sport touring bike :)

• Member Contributer

Since the bike's only been available in Europe until now, you may want to log onto the British Google (https://www.google.co.uk/) and do a search for Yamaha MT-10. You'll find a number of reviews, almost all of which are positive. As for the FZ-09, I don't know much about it other than I used to ride with a guy that had one and he liked it.

Speaking of the FZ-09, I can't imagine why Yamaha would want to keep it (or the aging FZ-1) as both bikes, in my opinion, are too similar to the FZ-10. 

The FZ09 is a lot cheaper than the FZ10, it still has a place for people not wanting to spend $13k on a new bike. The 09 has crap suspension because of its price, the 10 is priced much higher and is likely a very different bike.

• Member Contributer

Maybe they will keep the FZ-09. Honda's got a CBR300R, CBR500R, CBR650F, and the VFR800. Clearly there's some overlap between some of these bikes in terms of their target market. The current generation FZ-1 has been around since '06 and so I can't imagine Yamaha keeping it beyond the '16 model year.

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents

This is a ri di cu lous bike, *edit* 160 horses.

COME ON!!! What is this? Small wiener compensation???

There should be a global BAN on this bike for <24 years old.

ONLY ALLOW MATURE RIDERS!!!!

MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

IMAG4127.jpg

• Member Contributer

That Xplane engine sounds roarty, pulls like an oxen, wack the throttle 1st 2nd  or 3rd and she will wheelie....

1st gear till rev limiter? 132kmh/82mph (on the display) 2nd 158kmh and on and on.  That fly screen does a very good job at directing the rushing air but at 220+ I realized the implications of getting caught...

Problem?  You want (and can) overtake ANYONE, irrespective of double lines. So you do.

Before you know it/blink your eye, you will be 50+kmh over any posted limit which means an instant ban here in NL.

Soooo frustrating that you will only be able to use a fraction and still be on the lookout for the popo.

I had the bike for one hour and as I was riding back on the dealer's courtyard all I could do was giggle. 

Another contender for when I finally say goodbye to my VFR.  :fing02:

I'm very happy to see naked sport (or sporty) bikes have finally gained more acceptance in the US.  And that smaller displacement bikes have become more popular with new riders.  This is how it should have been all along.

• Member Contributer

Yeah I noticed that, but imho a cruise control on this hooligan is just stupid.  You will NOT cruise on this bike...

And this MT-10 is NOT for new riders, believe you me...

8 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Yeah I noticed that, but imho a cruise control on this hooligan is just stupid.  You will NOT cruise on this bike...

And this MT-10 is NOT for new riders, believe you me...

I certainly do agree with that .... However, even on my daily 20 min commute, I would love to have real cruise control regardless of the bike I'm riding.  And in a world of more bikes having 'drive by wire', including cruise control should be a no-brainer.

Archived