Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Another little job the other evening was fitting these fuel line quick disconnects. The idea is to allow me to remove the fuel tank when I'm working on my bike.

Here's a couple of pics.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Enjoy

• Member Contributer

Hi Mohawk

I fitted similar brass dry-break fitting to my 6th Gen a few months ago as I was sick to death of working under the tank.

Anyone looking at doing this, make sure that the fitting are FI rated as most of the ones on eBay (especially the plastic ones) are only rated for gravity feed.

Best thing I've done in months.  Just soooooo much easier to work on.

I used Goodridge units for mine with a 5/16" on the feed line and a 1/4" on the return.  Bought via Amazon.  Images below.

Phil

Goodridge 1-4.jpg

Goodridge 5-16.jpg

• Member Contributer

I installed Jiffy Tite several years ago without issue.  They are fantastic when working over the engine or if you just want to store the tank during the off season (damn kid's bikes....)

Not a single issue or leak.  Very easy to install.

Summit Racing or Jegg's have them in stock.

VFR800 Fuel Line 002.jpg

• Member Contributer

ooohh....  another mod for redslut and Puma!  not because I must, but because I can   :-)

• Member Contributer

OK finally managed to dig out where they came from, and at a good price too !

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/quick-release-coupling-brass-8-mm-connection/10007930?list=184399652&filter_article_number=10007930

Perfect for Dutchy :), maybe not so much for the USA guys. These come complete with jubilee clip hose clamps, not the same as in my pics, as I didn't know that so bought the smooth clamps as pictured separately !

I was looking for a set like Phil showed, but they were not available for a reasonable cost in the UK.

The Jiffy ones are available, but are about £200 (US$300) which is a bit steep IMO, but they are high quality & it these were exposed for the world to see I would have gone the jiffy route, but tucked under the tank it's pointless expense IMO.

Have fun.

• Member Contributer

We have to figure a way to cut that cost.  I think I spent under $90US.  Shipping to UK/AU should only be $20US.  If this is the route anyone wants to take I'd be happy to be the Postal Mule.

• Member Contributer

The Goodridge ones were around $70-80 NZD, each, delivered to me in New Zealand.

I agree with Mohawk, as they are completely hidden by the tank, no need for a bling factor here.

Also, as they are going on reinforced fuel lines, I would not use normal jubilee clamps on them.

Go for the smooth bore full circle clamps so as not to damage the hoses and possibly cause a leak.

Phil 

• Member Contributer

Another little job for the winter will be a new alloy bracket to hold the rear of the tank, probably ditch the hinge in the process & add a QD pin to aid removal.

• Member Contributer

For non-FI bikes, the best I've found is the CPC-made metal version sold under various names, including Goodridge and Safety Drain (~$40 @ Amazon.com--but make sure it has Viton o-rings!).  I used to use the plastic CPC valves, but they do break (right at the groove visible in the pic below, between the o-ring groove and the hose barb).  Some sellers say that these are also usable in FI systems, but I'm not so sure about that...

51Rlg7ZU1JL.jpg

Ciao,

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2016 at 9:41 AM, sa1713 said:

I installed Jiffy Tite several years ago without issue.  They are fantastic when working over the engine or if you just want to store the tank during the off season (damn kid's bikes....)

Not a single issue or leak.  Very easy to install.

Summit Racing or Jegg's have them in stock.

VFR800 Fuel Line 002.jpg

@sa1713 , I know its been a while, but any chance you have the part numbers for these? 

• Member Contributer

I have a BMW R1200 GS , my 4 th GS, every one built has a pair of quick connect fuel fittings. They are very helpful and make tank removal super easy.  Just stay away from plastic fittings. Most GS owners convert to metal if plastic fittings came on the bike from the factory. 

• Member Contributer

I don't have the actual part number but the units are the 2000 series.  Between the two lines, you'll need different diameter connectors as the hoses are not the same.

Archived