Slippy seat

BiKenG

We all know the problem with the early seats, that covering looked wonderfully contoured, but slippery as hell. My 2012 came with the early seat as some bugger had done a sneaky switch. So I bought a new later type seat and it is great, really comfy and no slip.

But I now have 2 x early, 2010 seats and thinking what to experiment with. Seems to me the only problem is the slipperyness of the vinyl covering. If only there was something more grippy that you could just spray on. And so I tried some Plasti Dip.

This is pretty neat stuff, but has its drawbacks, like not very resistant to fuel so not great for a tank. But its saving grace is that if you don't like it, peel if off. Having used it on other things I knew it was the finish I was after so I got a can of the (matt) black and put a covering on one of my 2010 seats.

I din't lay it on very thick, just enough to cover completely and provide the grippy surface and I have to say it was excellent, leaving the seat exactly as it should have been in the first place and seemed to be as comfortable to my later 2012 seat - for about 100 miles and then it started to peel off :sad:

This is exactly what I was afraid of. How tough would it be. Not very is the answer, which is such a shame as otherwise it's the perfect solution to that slippy seat. I should probably have put more on so that the film would have stood a better chance of maintaining its integrity. But I suspect that in the long run, it would begin to peel eventually.

However if you want a quick and cheap immediate fix, it could be worth trying. Put on quite a few coats, so it's thick enough to last a worthwhile length if time, but expect to have to re-do it periodically, probably peeling off the existing layer each time first.

Worth trying? Up to you, but at least you will be able to get it off if you don't like it. Might take some rubbing, but it will come off.

• Member Contributer

I had a similar issue with my 5th Gen, the solution was a leather over cover, no more slip, it reinforces the seat area, it also allows you to choose a better colour, so your ass does not catch fire when its been sitting in the sun. My seat area is now light blue in the rider area & black in the passenger part, so nice & cool when left in the sun.

I just stapled it in place over the vinyl original, so no issue with it absorbing water when it rains. Wet the leather & then attach it, it will then shink tight into place as it dries. Then treat with the water repellant of your choice once fully dried.

Check the bay for the cover seller, they are UK based & will make for any bike if you can supply a seat for them.

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

I personally like the slippery seat.  If the wife starts complaining too much, I just goose the throttle and it shuts her right up.

The fact that you are physically able to post that shows it for a lie lol.

My preference is the slippery seat. Indeed, I treat my seat with conditioner to make it slippery. On longer rides it makes it easier to adjust one's position. Honda got it right.

Archived