Tires!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, kebrider said:

The "problem" exists on all my bikes. I have researched potential causes but so far nothing positive. Forensic photographic evidence is inconclusive...

Collage.jpg

I don't think you have a mileage problem any more than I do even though we would both like to ride like we do and get 8K miles from a tire.  It isn't going to happen the way we ride.  From the photos, you're obviously putting power to the rears and working the fronts which, simply put, wears tires quickly.  

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only dream about wearing out the sides of a tire before the middle.  Too many straight miles and not enough curves.

I've generally had good experiences with tires, and remember liking Michelin PRs and Conti Road Attacks more than some of the other shoes my VFR has worn.  But I don't tend to push tires to their limits, so I'm not the best reviewer out there.

1 hour ago, kebrider said:

This Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT was on the rear of my ST1300 for exactly 8 days. One TMAC and 2038 miles later it looked like this...

ST1300 Rear PR4GT from 2015 TMAC.jpg

The very best wearing tire I have used on the ST is that PR4 GT. Too squirmy for my riding style but that is a subjective opinion that will not apply to many riders. I managed to keep up with Baileyrock so the tire can't be that bad. I was leading too so that may have helped a bit but I still felt like I was never going to catch him. I'm sure if I had made one mistake he would have been a vapor trail.

If it hadn't been for those easy miles with Glory Racing earlier in the week I would have probably needed a new tire before the week was up. :wink:

you wanna spend more time upright. The centre section is like new :491: 

This Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT was on the rear of my ST1300 for exactly 8 days. One TMAC and 2038 miles later it looked like this...

The very best wearing tire I have used on the ST is that PR4 GT. Too squirmy for my riding style but that is a subjective opinion that will not apply to many riders. I managed to keep up with Baileyrock so the tire can't be that bad. I was leading too so that may have helped a bit but I still felt like I was never going to catch him. I'm sure if I had made one mistake he would have been a vapor trail.

If it hadn't been for those easy miles with Glory Racing earlier in the week I would have probably needed a new tire before the week was up. wink.gif

I couldn't wear my tires like that in Louisiana if I were dead set on trying.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:01 AM, kebrider said:

If it hadn't been for those easy miles with Glory Racing earlier in the week I would have probably needed a new tire before the week was up. :wink:

Glad I could be of assistance. ;-)

Just fyi...people suspect bullsh!t when I suggest I only get 1,000-2,000 miles to a set of sport touring tires. 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, gloryracing said:

Glad I could be of assistance. ;-)

Just fyi...people suspect bullsh!t when I suggest I only get 1,000-2,000 miles to a set of sport touring tires. 

I don't suspect BS because I feel happy to get much over 2000 out of any ST tire.  I also used to live in Arkansas and have spent a lot of time in the Harrison and northern Arkansas area.  You're fortunate to be in beautiful twisty country as I am too. 

As somewhat of an aside, ST tires have come a long ways with the dual compound construction.  I feel much more confident leaned over and don't spin the rear or have it slide as much as when single compound tires were our only choice.  

Most 'riders' understand and  get it.

For example, right now I have a stack of 14 tires in the garage (4 new metzelers, 4 new b'stones and 6 takeoffs).  Gonna order 4 more b'stones before the month is out.

A repairman was driving down the street, noticed the stack and stopped to chat.  He stated he was a rider, noticed the stack and was just wondering why I had so many tires.  I told him I buy when manufacturer rebates are offered and I only get about 1,000-2,000 miles per set.  He chuckled and said, "no really?"

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, gloryracing said:

Most 'riders' understand and  get it.

For example, right now I have a stack of 14 tires in the garage (4 new metzelers, 4 new b'stones and 6 takeoffs).  Gonna order 4 more b'stones before the month is out.

A repairman was driving down the street, noticed the stack and stopped to chat.  He stated he was a rider, noticed the stack and was just wondering why I had so many tires.  I told him I buy when manufacturer rebates are offered and I only get about 1,000-2,000 miles per set.  He chuckled and said, "no really?"

2 hours ago, Bent said:

I don't suspect BS because I feel happy to get much over 2000 out of any ST tire.  I also used to live in Arkansas and have spent a lot of time in the Harrison and northern Arkansas area.  You're fortunate to be in beautiful twisty country as I am too. 

As somewhat of an aside, ST tires have come a long ways with the dual compound construction.  I feel much more confident leaned over and don't spin the rear or have it slide as much as when single compound tires were our only choice.  

You guys need no explanation in the subject of tire wear but if you apply the dog year formula to tire life miles then our data can be very helpful to all riders. This is of course what CornerCarver was explaining in his post. We can test a new model tire in 2 weeks, roach the tire completely and give feedback on all the important data such as wear, end-of-life handling degradation and overall handling/steering feel. Our comparison data is very good, if we ride consistent, because we would have completed back-to-back tests in less than 3 months on several sets of tires. I also like to help people feel better about "only" getting 6K out of a set of tires.

At the end of the day Motorcycle tires are just a first world problem. I can't buy time but I can buy good tires. Easy choice for a selfish first world citizen such as myself.

• Member Contributer

Try Conti Motions supposed to have great mileage at reasonable grip levels, planning to fit one on mine before our EuroTour, will report back at the end of the trip.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, kebrider said:

You guys need no explanation in the subject of tire wear but if you apply the dog year formula to tire life miles then our data can be very helpful to all riders. This is of course what CornerCarver was explaining in his post. We can test a new model tire in 2 weeks, roach the tire completely and give feedback on all the important data such as wear, end-of-life handling degradation and overall handling/steering feel. Our comparison data is very good, if we ride consistent, because we would have completed back-to-back tests in less than 3 months on several sets of tires. I also like to help people feel better about "only" getting 6K out of a set of tires.

At the end of the day Motorcycle tires are just a first world problem. I can't buy time but I can buy good tires. Easy choice for a selfish first world citizen such as myself.

Its pretty confusing. Especially when there are folk saying they regularly get. 8k plus on their 11and 13s think the highest I've heard is 10k.  I was averaging about 4.5k on mine  both 11and 13.  You obviously spend more time on the softer outer compounds. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, kebrider said:

I suspect VFRD is populated by "first world" type of people.  Good analogy in your post.  Diversity in tire usage habits and consequent wear is a good thing IMO in helping people of all types make their own decisions.  The only real way to learn what the best tire is for any individual is for them to try different tires and settle in on what "fits" them.     

On 5/18/2016 at 7:34 PM, CornerCarver said:

I have been a Michelin guy for years but you guys are missing the boat if you don't spoon on a set of the new tires from Bridgestone in the next year.

The T30 Evo is awesome for a sport touring tire, IMO every bit the equal of the PR4s that I have run if not better and at a substantial savings.

The same goes for the B'stone S21. The only tire close that I have run recently is the Dunlop Q3 at the track for a full sport tire and I have never been a fan of Dunlops.  Either of these two tires are equal to Pilot Powers and, again, cost less to boot.

I moved away from the PR4 tires this time. I had the Bridgestone T30 Evo tires installed and I really like them, a lot! They make the bike lot easier to turn and feel like a sports tire. I know you're not trying to be Rossi, but they work great in the rain and just feel like a great tire.

I got a lot shorter life out of the 4 rather than the 3.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, fink said:

Its pretty confusing. Especially when there are folk saying they regularly get. 8k plus on their 11and 13s think the highest I've heard is 10k.  I was averaging about 4.5k on mine  both 11and 13.  You obviously spend more time on the softer outer compounds. 

I was hoping the pictures would clear up the confusion Fink. Riding style is everything when considering tire review information. We don't spend much time on the center of our tires and we gas it through the turns and back off on the straights, all on the abrasive pavement that is prevalent in the Appalachians. I am not a fan of dual compound tires as I always end up with triangulation of the tire shape. Some tires are better at maintaining their steering feel no matter how triangulated they become and that is what I usually report.

For someone who reports on tires and rides the same all the time (me most of the time) figuring out which tire lasts longest is a simple as comparing just their mileage difference between different tires. This really only works if you have a similar riding style. We use the sides of tires more than the highway traveler so we get much less mileage because we apply wear inducing forces on the tire where its compound is the softest. The highway traveler spends more time on the more durable tire center so their feedback on steering feel and handling degradation is more relevant information than ours would be if that is your riding style.

To me the holy grail of dry grip performance and wear has been the Dunlop Q3. These tires grip forever and hold up well considering they allow a higher corner speed than many of the other sport and ST tires out there. One thing that I read in reviews all the time is a tire felt and handled great but did not last as long as brand X. If you go faster your tires wear out sooner so a great handling tire is its own worst enemy for wear.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, kebrider said:

I was hoping the pictures would clear up the confusion Fink. Riding style is everything when considering tire review information. We don't spend much time on the center of our tires and we gas it through the turns and back off on the straights, all on the abrasive pavement that is prevalent in the Appalachians. I am not a fan of dual compound tires as I always end up with triangulation of the tire shape. Some tires are better at maintaining their steering feel no matter how triangulated they become and that is what I usually report.

For someone who reports on tires and rides the same all the time (me most of the time) figuring out which tire lasts longest is a simple as comparing just their mileage difference between different tires. This really only works if you have a similar riding style. We use the sides of tires more than the highway traveler so we get much less mileage because we apply wear inducing forces on the tire where its compound is the softest. The highway traveler spends more time on the more durable tire center so their feedback on steering feel and handling degradation is more relevant information than ours would be if that is your riding style.

To me the holy grail of dry grip performance and wear has been the Dunlop Q3. These tires grip forever and hold up well considering they allow a higher corner speed than many of the other sport and ST tires out there. One thing that I read in reviews all the time is a tire felt and handled great but did not last as long as brand X. If you go faster your tires wear out sooner so a great handling tire is its own worst enemy for wear.

I think im pretty much up on what you are saying.  

Would need to sit down and read your reports.  How much of your riding is done in the wet? 

Is is it still the case that the compounds are different on your side of the pond? 

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, fink said:

I think im pretty much up on what you are saying.  

Would need to sit down and read your reports.  How much of your riding is done in the wet? 

Is is it still the case that the compounds are different on your side of the pond? 

I think the Bridgestone compounds stay pretty consistent but I don't thing our Dunlop Q3 is the same tire as your Sportsmart. Not sure of the other brands.

i get caught in the wet all the time and the new T30 Evo has been very good, almost identical in feel to the Michelin Pilot Road 4 which has always been, and continues to be, the gold standard in the wet. Michelin Sport Touring tires are all good in the wet. To me they squirm in the dry due to their soft carcass (easiest tires to mount by a wide margin) but I suspect the squirm explains why they grip so well in the wet. Michelins don't really slow me down or cause any problems, they just move slightly when pushed and they don't give me the feedback i get from stiffer constructed tires. The Pirelli Angel GTs are great in the wet when new but do drop off slightly as they age.

All the tire manufacturers are making bold claims of better wear and wet grip with their latest tire models so this should be a banner year for tire testing here in the Appalachian Mountains. Bridgestone S21 (street sport tire) test will begin tomorrow.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, Mohawk said:

Try Conti Motions supposed to have great mileage at reasonable grip levels, planning to fit one on mine before our EuroTour, will report back at the end of the trip.

I'm about to replace the rear ContiMotion on my 6th gen.  It's at 7k+ miles and into the wear bars.  It's been fine in the rain, and the level of grip is OK, but I don't think it's as good as most dual-compound sport-touring tires out there.  Then again, I don't push as hard in the corners as many VFR riders.  I've been happy with this tire overall, and the price (under $100 USD) is hard to beat.  I'm planning to replace this one with the same tire ahead of a June tour with a lot of straight miles.

Having just spent 2 weeks in the UK I now understand much better why so many reports of long tire life come from there.  With traffic cameras everywhere, moderate speeds and practically no serious twisties compared to what I'm used to, it's no surprise tires last a long time there.

• Member Contributer

Gather you were down south in England mate.  Should have headed for the highlands of Scotland. Great open roads not a copper let alone a speed camera , where you can ride for an hour or so and sometimes not see even one car. Whilst there may be no serious twisties  there are a few but there are loads of ton up bends that go on for ages. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Shinigami said:

Having just spent 2 weeks in the UK I now understand much better why so many reports of long tire life come from there.  With traffic cameras everywhere, moderate speeds and practically no serious twisties compared to what I'm used to, it's no surprise tires last a long time there.

Thats because the only people left in England are the gentle folk. 

All the trouble makers, hooligans, anti establishment types were sent to Australia long ago. 

In recent years, more care free people have come this way as well. 

The only people left are the ones that are happy pottering around at 40mph, and don't mind being soggy and covered in fungus. 

I've even heard that they now shun the sun, if it ever comes out there. 

7 hours ago, fink said:

Gather you were down south in England mate.  Should have headed for the highlands of Scotland. Great open roads not a copper let alone a speed camera , where you can ride for an hour or so and sometimes not see even one car. Whilst there may be no serious twisties  there are a few but there are loads of ton up bends that go on for ages. 

True enough, I was in Nottingham.  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Shinigami said:

True enough, I was in Nottingham.  

Isn't that where Robin Hood used to hang out?

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming Shinigani has ridden the Sierras in California, there's nowhere over here like CA36, CA49 or for ultimate fun Mountain View Rd south of  Mendocino 

Archived