Tires!

I don't understand how some of you can wear tires out so fast. Maybe I just ride like a pussy:tongue: I have Michelin pilot road 4 GT with over 10,000 kms(about 6,200 miles) on them, and I am only at maybe half worn. I don't ride crazy fast, I would explain it as spirited riding. ( I have about 1/4" chicken strips) Although, I live in Germany with no speed limit on the autobahn, so I ride at high speed quite often. (between 160-200 kmh or 100-120 mph) I would have to say that I am very happy with the tires. Wet grip is unsurpassed and in the dry, grip is also good. I don't feel any of the squirming that others have described. They feel very planted and stable and give me very good feedback from the road underneath me. For 140€ a set, I think I found a winner! 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Have just put on a set of T30. Lets see how many miles I get out of these. Mileage when put on 12340.

Viffer lover there are many ways to wear out a tyre.    One of the main ones is how the road is constructed. I live in the Scottish Highlands where the road is very rough more stone than tar(abrasive) where as the roads in the cities are more tar than stone so are less abrasive (smooth)  that alone makes a big difference.

How you spend your time riding, for some they may spend a lot of time in urban areas or slow speed  less wear, other like me spend most of it at or above posted limits on the country more wear.  Straight roads, steady speed compared to bends which means braking and acceleration forces which need more grip.

rider weight  these are many ways tyre wear rate differs.     One I almost forgot. Different continents have different compounds in the tyre , same tyre just slightly different ingredients ie less silica.

My T30s are getting down to the wear markers at about 6700 miles, they won't make 7k. I suspect yours will do less for the reasons you mentioned. Mine live in the lanes of Essex (twisty and too bumpy to go too crazy) and straightlining on the dual-carriageway A roads.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Vifferlover said:

I don't understand how some of you can wear tires out so fast. Maybe I just ride like a pussy:tongue: I have Michelin pilot road 4 GT with over 10,000 kms(about 6,200 miles) on them, and I am only at maybe half worn. I don't ride crazy fast, I would explain it as spirited riding. ( I have about 1/4" chicken strips) Although, I live in Germany with no speed limit on the autobahn, so I ride at high speed quite often. (between 160-200 kmh or 100-120 mph) I would have to say that I am very happy with the tires. Wet grip is unsurpassed and in the dry, grip is also good. I don't feel any of the squirming that others have described. They feel very planted and stable and give me very good feedback from the road underneath me. For 140€ a set, I think I found a winner! 

Come to the U. S. and do some very regular spirited riding in the Appalachians regularly and you'll understand.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Vifferlover said:

Yeah, I guess that means that I'm lucky! :cheerleader:

Or missing out depending on your point of view.:bliss::happy:

Actually,  I'm originally from Pennsylvania. I've only lived in Germany for a little more than 2 years. I liked the mountain roads as far as curves, but I don't miss all of the gravel everywhere! 

Fink, those definitely look like some nice places to ride! :beer: I can't complain about riding here either. It took me alot of searching to find more curves here though. I had to go south, because I'm right by the sea here. There is alot of nice scenery here, just like those roads in the videos. ( once I found it) 

53 minutes ago, fink said:

The black forest is the place to go.

Maybe I'll be able to go there sometime this year, but is is all the way on the other side of the country from me. Someone else also told me that I need to go to the Alps also. I'm sure that someday I'll get to see all of Germany. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the Bridgestone S21 mounted front and rear today. Mileage is 10,886. 

I normally get 2500 out of a PP3 or the S20, so we'll see if the claims of better mileage hold up. 

Initial impression is that they are similar to s20 evo in that they don't turn in as quick as the Michelins when new. This went away within a hundred miles of twisties on the s20 evo though and I expect the same thing with s21. I thought it was just me getting used to the extra effort on turn in, but the old s20 evos turned in easier than the new S21 too, so I think it's a matter of getting the edge of the tires worn a bit before these tire really come into their own. 

What I loved about the S20, and the S21 feels similar, is that dial a lean feeling. 

I'll keep you posted as I put these through the paces at Palomar, Banner, and ACH as well as highway 33 to Ojai soon. 

The stock Dunlops only last about 2500 on my bike. Since then have used Bridgestone T30 which have good handling and wear rate.

Currently on Metzeler Roadtec 01 - much better road comfort from the front end and handling overall. Currently up to 3500miles with plenty of tread left. These I would buy again as just that bit better overall in the dry and wet. I have nearly 16000miles on my bike.

• 4 weeks later...

All good so far (New Rubber Syndrome hasn't worn off yet) but I've only had them since yesterday and the weather down here has been sweltering (over 30°C most of this week) so they have tougher tests to come!

7965 miles on these T30s and the new 01s, first impression is that the Metzelers have a deeper tread when new.

2016-08-25 Bridgestone T30 EVO front 7965 miles.JPG

2016-08-25 Bridgestone T30 EVO rear 7965 miles.JPG

2016-08-25 Metzeler ROADTEC01 rear 35 miles.JPG

2016-08-25 Metzeler ROADTEC01 front 35 miles.JPG

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post an update on the S21. I have 2k miles on them now; almost all of that is canyon riding. Those miles that aren't, are riding to the canyons with the exception of 2 or 3 days of commuting. 

These are great tires for aggressive street riding, better than the S20evo and pp3 in my opinion. I can't comment on the Q3. 

Can't comment on the wet performance of the S21 either as we haven't had much rain in Southern California since I mounted these back in late July. 

I run 34f/36r and the tires feel very neutral. They tip in a bit quicker than the S20evo and not as quick as the PP3, but (and this is the reason I love them for Canyon riding) they are so compliant that changing lines mid corner is never dramatic. Here's an example from earlier today. I'm going around a blind corner on a very narrow section of road, when suddenly I notice a patch of sand in my line, I have about a foot of clean pavement between the sand and the double yellow, but just to make things interesting, there is a SUV coming the other direction with his wheels just on his side of the double yellow. I braked, stood the bike up to widen the line, got off the brakes and dropped back into the turn just missing the sand and the SUV. The guy behind me said he thought I was going to hit the SUV, and also stated that I only missed the mirror by a couple of inches. The moment was dramatic, but the tires never added to the drama.

The feel with these tires is extraordinary as well. I can feel the surface but that feel doesn't translate into odd feedback. It's just enough to let you know something is going on without overloading the senses. I'd say less feel than the S20evo and more than the PP3. The S20evo is a bit lively and can translate a bit too much input for my taste. 

Here are some pics with 2k miles. For reference, I get between 2,500 and 3k with the pp3 and the last 500 miles with the PP3 is always an adventure. 20161016_170810.jpg

20161016_170821.jpg

Cool. It seemed like I read that somewhere, but I couldn't find it being discussed again. I've got 5600 on the stock Dunflops and the rear is looking pretty tired of highway commutes while the front is still looking good, so I think I'll go with something stickier up there.

• Member Contributer
On 10/16/2016 at 11:29 PM, thtanner said:

It has been reported as a good combo!

I ran the S20 EVO front / T30 rear combo with good results primarily on twisty mountain roads with aggressive riding style.  I expect the same or better with S21 up front although sometimes combos like this just don't mesh for whatever reason.  S21 front and rear has absurd grip and feedback as already mentioned.  They are more or less slicks with tread if you know what I mean.  If you are less aggressive (ie you don't have a desire to drag your knee through every corner), you will do just fine with a T30 EVO up front and will probably change your tires less often.  The grip of T30 EVOs is more than enough to run track days at a fun pace and drag knees occasionally while providing upright mileage benefits along with reported wet weather traction (not personally tested much). YMMV

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, 007 said:

I ran the S20 EVO front / T30 rear combo with good results primarily on twisty mountain roads with aggressive riding style.  I expect the same or better with S21 up front although sometimes combos like this just don't mesh for whatever reason.  S21 front and rear has absurd grip and feedback as already mentioned.  They are more or less slicks with tread if you know what I mean.  If you are less aggressive (ie you don't have a desire to drag your knee through every corner), you will do just fine with a T30 EVO up front and will probably change your tires less often.  The grip of T30 EVOs is more than enough to run track days at a fun pace and drag knees occasionally while providing upright mileage benefits along with reported wet weather traction (not personally tested much). YMMV

I just put a s20 rear tire on my street triple with an old BT016 up front. As great as the rear tire felt the front just never felt right with it. In fact it tucked in a surprise decreasing radius fwy interchange: 22e to 57n, were I was lucky to have a lane empty on my right to run wide into. 

I was going to run a new set of BT016 pros for my track day since the set cost just $140 after rebate. Then I thought just keep the s20 on the rear with a fresh front. After a bit more reflection here I am back to going all BT016. My thinking is I want both tires working together grip or slide at Willow Springs. If anything a stickier front has a better potential than the other way around.

After several very spirited canyon rides and a few weeks of commuting my S20 rear still looks ready for a track day. I may well be riding Bridgestones on the 675 Striple from now on. Mostly a play bike anyways.

Question:

My FZ1 daily ride and sport tour bike will be sampling the Michelin PR3 rear with 2CT front. Although for the first time I am wearing out the front and rear 2CT combo evenly on this bike. 

Any suggestion on which of the Pilot Road series offers the best dry grip?

This bike sees a lot of aggressive canyon riding as well.

Archived