Tires!

8 hours ago, Bent said:

Isn't that where Robin Hood used to hang out?

Apparently, still does.  There's also an actual, real Sheriff of Nottingham, as opposed to this impersonation... On the left in image below.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Now that is a long bow!  

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the MCN tyre review and must say that after riding down to Italy, through torrential rain, hot conditions, motorways, and riding real twisty roads across the Alps, I can't recommend the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3's highly enough they were terrific, far better than the OEM tyres, nothing seemed to worry them, they held the line well, and you could confidently lean in the wet. 

Ordered a set of S21's from Jake Wilson today. $205 for the set shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 01/06/2016 at 0:45 PM, Bent said:

Now that is a long bow!  

The longbow that decimated the French armies in the 14th and 15th centuries actually originated in Wales but was refined into a war-winning weapon by the English. Bows were generally the same length as their owner's height or a fraction more, in a time when most medieval men were between 5 and 5 and a half feet tall. There aren't many left but two bow staves were recovered from the Mary Rose, Henry VIII's flagship that sank in 1545. The longer of these measures 75", the shorter 72.75" but they are from a century or more later than when the longbow ruled the battlefield.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Sweeper said:

I just finished off the Metzler M7RRs (2,050 miles and good to the end, fantastic tires) on the GSX-S and installed the S21s last night. I already have them on the NC and they are one of the best tire sets I have used on that bike. They were impeccable on Cornercarver's and Minicarver's VFRs when I rode them at TMAC so you will enjoy them immensely. Give them a mile or 2 to warm up, the only weak spot I see with the tire, but the once warm the seem to have equal or very slightly more grip than the Dunlop Q3 which is the gold standard in the mountains.

You will get the $50 rebate which drops your cost to $155 and if you bought from Jake Wilson you got $10.95 in buyer loyalty cash back which could drop the cost of another set to $145. Sweeper needing 2 sets of tires in a year ain't going to happen so maybe buy em and we arrange some sort of arrangement if shipping from your place to mine is not too pricey. Bridgestone only allows 2 sets of the eligible tires to be shipped to any one address to qualify for the rebate.

I will have some real-world feedback soon. Almost 4,000 miles on the Suzook already and it may be the best tire testing tool I have ever had full time access to. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Sweeper said:

That is a steal. I think you are going to LOVE them.

• Member Contributer

I'm really interested on how these work out...Been eyeballing the Brigestones.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CornerCarver said:

That is a steal. I think you are going to LOVE them.

The 180/55 S21s are absurdly inexpensive and will be the tire of choice for the VFR.  I bought two rears for the VFR the last time I used the rebate since I go through rears way faster.  Both bikes are now outfitted with tires for the rest of the year after the Bridgestone and Metzeler rebates.  Heck, still have one Metzeler rebate to use. 

Kimball, you should see if your neighbor will order tires for you.

• Member Contributer
On 6/21/2016 at 4:01 PM, zupatun said:

I'm really interested on how these work out...Been eyeballing the Brigestones.

The Bridgestones are currently the best tires on the market.  As the spec tire for MotoGP they have learned a great deal and that knowledge has transferred directy to the street tire offering.

I have no doubts that within 3-4 years Michelin will regain the lead in tire tech as they are midway through their first season back in the GP class but I will probably not purchase a tire other than B'stones for the next few years.  The value and performance and unmatched.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Ordering two sets today ...

They're awesome. Used them at my last track day and they stuck like glue and wore well. Even the tire guy at the track (a Pirelli fan boy) likes the S21.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Havagan said:

They're awesome. Used them at my last track day and they stuck like glue and wore well. Even the tire guy at the track (a Pirelli fan boy) likes the S21.

You and Kimball both like them. cant go wrong with that info.

• Member Contributer

I loved the feel of Pirelli's at the track.  SuperCorsa Pro's back in the day were the schiznit--very confidence inspiring and I used my buddy's race take-off's (only 3 races) from his WERA championship runs back in the mid 2000's.  After that I was running Dunlop Q's...both the Q and Q2's mostly because Jason Pridmore and I had some discussions about tires.  

He ran Q's on his bikes (still does I think) for his Star School.  The first time they did this his partner didn't even tell him he changed tires (Now Jason rides a stock bike with only changes to springs, tires and exhaust because they get sponsorship at the time from Suzuki)--JP thought he was on his Supersport race tires (non-slick race tires).  Mark asks JP about the bike and eventually about the tires--JP says tires are great.  Gallardo says they are new street tire--and JP freaked out.  BUT the tires just plain worked...so he uses this as a good teaching point.  Street tires are so advanced today you almost CANT get a bad street tire--at least with the most popular brands.

I have never run Brigestone tires on my bike ever, but I won't worry a bit about it.  About the only thing I can lose on is paying too much for tires...and I always try to minimize that wherever possible.

Matt

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Switchblade said:

You and Kimball both like them. cant go wrong with that info.

10 hours ago, zupatun said:

I loved the feel of Pirelli's at the track.  SuperCorsa Pro's back in the day were the schiznit--very confidence inspiring and I used my buddy's race take-off's (only 3 races) from his WERA championship runs back in the mid 2000's.  After that I was running Dunlop Q's...both the Q and Q2's mostly because Jason Pridmore and I had some discussions about tires.  

He ran Q's on his bikes (still does I think) for his Star School.  The first time they did this his partner didn't even tell him he changed tires (Now Jason rides a stock bike with only changes to springs, tires and exhaust because they get sponsorship at the time from Suzuki)--JP thought he was on his Supersport race tires (non-slick race tires).  Mark asks JP about the bike and eventually about the tires--JP says tires are great.  Gallardo says they are new street tire--and JP freaked out.  BUT the tires just plain worked...so he uses this as a good teaching point.  Street tires are so advanced today you almost CANT get a bad street tire--at least with the most popular brands.

I have never run Brigestone tires on my bike ever, but I won't worry a bit about it.  About the only thing I can lose on is paying too much for tires...and I always try to minimize that wherever possible.

Matt

Agreed now that I have experienced Metzeler M7rrs on Kimball's GSXS and S21s on Kimball's NC and my CB.  S21s feel like they just claw at the road all the way around and seem to turn faster with less lean angle.  Q3s still are the benchmark for combination of grip, wear rate, and profile at the end of life IMHO.  Keith Code still runs Q3s at Superbike school, probably for that reason.  Q3s have gradually climbed in price, though, and only allowed one rebate this Spring.  Compared with 2 (S21s) and 4 (M7RRs) rebates, which tilted the decision towards those brands.  The only major brand I don't like is Michelin and they didn't offer a rebate, so that was an easy choice to avoid.  I might still buy a set of Q3s in the final days of June, but I have a lot of tires to run over the next year plus and don't want tires to get too old.  At least now I'm fully stocked for 1-2 years.

I replaced the OEM Dunlop D222s with the Roadsmart 2 at 5000 miles (worn out), now the RS2's have 4700 plus miles on them, so far this is what they look like.  I ride as much as possible throughout spring, summer, fall, and part of winter. These tires have been a great improvement from OEM. Not sure which tire will be next to try out.h2TI7vkf1BoInamkDC0lTXpcSEjstEUKcj-n8d2al2ttnvIFMi851rHzQ3tZ1_pP2b6-9pK052ttZQtP

• Member Contributer

With Bridgestone having so many very good tires IMHO, it's hard to decide which one to buy.  More than one model Bstone have great deals to be found.  I currently have the "old" BT023's on the bike and they are working great and are going to last a long time at the rate they're going and I thought I bought them extremely cheap.  The good news is, I don't have to make a decision today.  

On 6/26/2016 at 6:50 AM, Bent said:

With Bridgestone having so many very good tires IMHO, it's hard to decide which one to buy.  More than one model Bstone have great deals to be found.  I currently have the "old" BT023's on the bike and they are working great and are going to last a long time at the rate they're going and I thought I bought them extremely cheap.  The good news is, I don't have to make a decision today.  

But you do have to decide soon to take advantage of the rebate. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

But you do have to decide soon to take advantage of the rebate. 

I did take advantage of the rebate.  

Archived