Tires!

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Long story short, have them, love them. There are a couple of post regarding the Road 5 with a lot more details...

I looked again - I haven't seen any posts mentioning them on 8th Gen bikes.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

I looked again - I haven't seen any posts mentioning them on 8th Gen bikes.

5 Gen, 6 Gen, 8 Gen, don't think the bike would be that much to make a HUGE difference in tire performance. That's just my IMO.

• Member Contributer

5, 6and 8G share the same basic steering geometry, wheel base, weight and power. 

Tyre perfomance and longevity would be more influenced by rider then anything else. 

I put a pair of T31's on my 8th gen at the start of Autumn here and rode daily thru one of our wettest winters, 160mm in August alone. 

They are far superior to the D222 OEM's in the wet. Under braking the D222's where constantly squirmng/activating the ABS under moderate braking where as the T31 require a deliberate noob grab/stomp on the brakes to get the ABS to activate. 

Under power, the D222 rear was easy to activate the traction control. Have been unable to do that with the T31 except briefly over a wet painted line on take off. 

As for grip in the corners, well I had the D222 rear sliding in the dry so I rode like a pussy in the wet on them. On the T31's I have been riding normally as I would in the wet and they feel good and confident and I'm sure I could push them a bit more if I wanted. 

Wear is good given i've done 4k km on them so far, all in the wet. Looks like they will put in a 15k km's life span.

In the dry, I can't really offer an opinion on them, I've had so little time on them in the dry. 

There might be better tyres out there than the T31's. But one thing is for sure. They are an huge improvement over the D222's. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm mostly a commuter, but live north of Atlanta so close to the North Georgia Mountains and The Dragon is a day ride. I got a set of Road 5s on sale. The set was cheaper than the 4's at that time. I've enjoyed them in all conditions. I'm no Ricky Racer, but I'm a competent and moderately quick rider in the hills. I haven't gotten enough miles on them to speak to longevity, but I really don't push my tires that hard. So far I'm seeing a lot less flat spotting from all the commuting I do during the week. I've used Pilot Roads (from 2 through 4) since I got my first VFR800 in 2008. This seems to be the best yet, but the jury is still out. I'll post up as they wear.

I've been riding the Road 5 for 1 month / 700 miles here in Germany on my eight gen. FYI, no speed limit on some parts of the highway here. I ran the Road 5 at 135 miles / hour. No brainer.  I also rode on the twisties of the Odenwald 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odenwald 

for 200 miles last week, best tyre ever. Far better than the Pilot Road 4 that I was using some years ago. Close to the Dunlop Roadsmart 3.

I put on a set of Road 5s on my 8th gen a few months ago. They are much more planted in the dry than the factory tires, and they are spectacular in the wet. A thousand or so miles of commuting haven’t worn them at all as far as I can tell.

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, economist said:

I put on a set of Road 5s on my 8th gen a few months ago. They are much more planted in the dry than the factory tires, and they are spectacular in the wet. A thousand or so miles of commuting haven’t worn them at all as far as I can tell.

Those stock tires are horrible, aren't they? I could only do 2500 miles before I put the Roadsmart IIIs on. Night and day. I can't believe that stock rubber was so bad!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, economist said:

Thanks, ordered a set, getting 'em mounted on Friday.  🙂

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, thtanner said:

Those stock tires are horrible, aren't they? I could only do 2500 miles before I put the Roadsmart IIIs on. Night and day. I can't believe that stock rubber was so bad!

In hindsight, I would have pulled the D222's off and trashed them, then put on some real tires.  They're a downright dangerous tire.  It's hard to throw away a new tire but not in this case.  I wouldn't even give them to anyone else to use they're such dangerous non-performers.  Honda should be ashamed.     

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Bent said:

In hindsight, I would have pulled the D222's off and trashed them, then put on some real tires.  They're a downright dangerous tire.  It's hard to throw away a new tire but not in this case.  I wouldn't even give them to anyone else to use they're such dangerous non-performers.  Honda should be ashamed.     

Exactly, hard to believe I put up with the things, still never ridden any different until they were gone tho

Reminded me of the OEM tyres the Russians used to fit to the Ural Mars, last forever, only gripped on ShellGrip

I basically agree, but I have to stress that if you ride on dry road exclusively and at outer temp higher than 80F, you may ride the D222. Once they are warm/hot they are not too bad on dry pavement. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sdouble said:

I basically agree, but I have to stress that if you ride on dry road exclusively and at outer temp higher than 80F, you may ride the D222. Once they are warm/hot they are not too bad on dry pavement. 

I did not find that to be the case at all. They skated all over the place on me in 80F weather. They were just a nightmare. Worst tire I have ever ridden on, hands down.

3 hours ago, sdouble said:

I have about 2400 miles on these tires ridden only on dry pavement at roughly 80 to 90+F. I find them to be a very good tire. On hwy 129 (the dragon) they were very predictable. Impressive grip especially when heated up. Haven't tried them in the wet though. Time will tell but at this point I would even buy these again. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, YYZ said:

I have about 2400 miles on these tires ridden only on dry pavement at roughly 80 to 90+F. I find them to be a very good tire. On hwy 129 (the dragon) they were very predictable. Impressive grip especially when heated up. Haven't tried them in the wet though. Time will tell but at this point I would even buy these again. 

Wait until you replace them with real tires and you'll see where we're coming from.  I've been on The Dragon with them too and in hindsight, I was stupid to do that.  

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, YYZ said:

If I'm not mistaken, OEM tires are not typically sold through normal retailers but only through dealers, which means you can't shop around as much as with other tire models. Meaning you'll probably pay more for a tire that is really just a middle of the road tire. (No pun intended) You can get much better rubber, for less and find them available in more places than OEM.

My recollection of the OEM tires (Dunlops) that came on my 09, the rear squared off and the front cupped very badly and I had to change them at about 6k miles. Of course these were from a few years ago, so newer OEM tires might be a tad bit better but I look at them similar to ink cartridges that come with new printers, yes they work but they really aren't meant to last that long. YMMV (literally)

I like the OEM T30 Evo, very good grip and get to proper temperature quickly. 

I´ve done 8300km and the rear it´s ok, maybe more 5k left on it, but the front it´s starting to look really worn... anyone had this problem?

Pressure always checked, never been on the track, two long trips 2up and some twisty spirited rides.... My front tyres always last 15000km at least, this I think won´t last 10k 😕

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/30/2018 at 4:42 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Fair 'nuff.

Pricey rubber, but what the heck...

So the Pilot Road 4 tires served me well.  Almost 15,000 miles, not too squared-off, fair amount of tread left front and back, and minimal front scalloping in spite of my well-known tendency to brake well into corners.

Props to the local shop (New York Honda Yamaha) for discounting the expensive new rubber to close to mail order prices and discounting installation, so most of the price difference was local taxes.  Minor criticism:  Next time remove the adhesive from the old wheel weights, thanks.  Double-checked inflation, put it to 36/42 and went to town.  Had a few puckers in the first fifty miles or so but they're kinda' broken-in now.

The Michelin Road 5 tires seem to offer a slightly less harsh ride.  They also exhibit slightly more rolling resistance that I can feel when coasting.  At least as grippy as the tires they replaced, but I'm not feeling any improvement when rolling through expansion joints while leaned over.  Plenty of warning if they're gonna skate.  Feel very planted, not quite as wallowy as the PR4 tires were when leaning over on crap pavement or suffering my crap throttle control.  No nervous moments in the rain but I haven't pushed much yet.

• Member Contributer

I've got about 500 miles on a new set of S21 and am enjoying them quite a bit. They were quite different in feel from the BT-016 Pro I replaced and it took me some time to get adjusted but I am liking them now. Smooth tires and appear to be pretty durable for a sport tire. So far, at least.

Should be quite cold and wet tomorrow after a whole October of summer weather so I'll get to test them out in proper fall weather for the first time.

10 hours ago, Dustin said:

I've got about 500 miles on a new set of S21 and am enjoying them quite a bit. They were quite different in feel from the BT-016 Pro I replaced and it took me some time to get adjusted but I am liking them now. Smooth tires and appear to be pretty durable for a sport tire. So far, at least.

Should be quite cold and wet tomorrow after a whole October of summer weather so I'll get to test them out in proper fall weather for the first time.

Curious, how did you like BT-016 Pro. I have a set waiting to be installed. Did warm up fast?

I know it depends on riding styles but how many miles did they last for you? 

• Member Contributer
Curious, how did you like BT-016 Pro. I have a set waiting to be installed. Did warm up fast? I know it depends on riding styles but how many miles did they last for you? 

I liked them! They were a nice, predictable tire that took a bit of effort to turn in, mostly due to the 'rounder' shape I think. My S21 are a steeper profile and feel different.  

Reasonable warmup, fairly durable and good feel. They are pretty stiff tires and aren't that smooth on the road or over bumps. Not bad, though.

I ran them for 7200 km before I opted to change them for the upcoming rainy season. They still had a fair bit of life left but not enough tread depth to be great in the rain.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived