Tires!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive just put my second set of PR4s on. Managed to get 18k kilometres out of them. Both front and rear had a bit to go before the wear bar. The front was badly scalloped,and the rear picked up a puncture. they might have gone another 1000ks otherwise. 

Very pleased with them.

Laurie

• 2 months later...

Stock Dunlop front tire on my 2015 starting to show signs of scallops. Went in the the local dealer to see what’s new. I have it narrowed down to the PR5 or the Battle axe T31

Anyone have either one?

Ps only have 6000 mi on stock tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Amoreira88 said:

Stock Dunlop front tire on my 2015 starting to show signs of scallops. Went in the the local dealer to see what’s new. I have it narrowed down to the PR5 or the Battle axe T31

Anyone have either one?

Ps only have 6000 mi on stock tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running the Road 5 on my 6 Gen now, great tire for my needs. Actually broke them in at the track, rode them harder than I would have on public roads, so I’m pretty sure they’ll hold up if I do do some sport/canyon riding. Can’t say if they’ll last as long as the PR4 I had on their (@13k miles) but I’m hoping. I did a little write up about my “break in” time in the “Road 5” thread that’s on the forum.

Just installed a set of Dunlop Q3+ front and Roadsmart 3 rear, and 500 miles in they display excellent handling.  Replaces a Q3 front/Roadsmart 2 rear that achieved 7500 miles, with perhaps another 750 miles to the top of the wear bars.  That had been an excellent combination for me for the past 3 sets.

I will never run Michelins again.  Too many bad experiences with their performance falling off drastically after the first couple of thousand miles.

EDIT UPDATE:  Still excellent after 2700 miles of mostly canyons.

3 hours ago, Shinigami said:

Just installed a set of Dunlop Q3+ front and Roadsmart 3 rear, and 500 miles in they display excellent handling.  Replaces a Q3 front/Roadsmart 2 rear that achieved 7500 miles, with perhaps another 750 miles to the top of the wear bars.  That had been an excellent combination for me for the past 3 sets.

I will never run Michelins again.  Too many bad experiences with their performance falling off drastically after the first couple of thousand miles.

I just had Q3+ installed front and rear. Only 20 miles so far on my commute but already feel the front turns in better than the BStone S21 I had. Very sticky too!

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Shinigami said:

No more Mic's for me ! I installed a set of Mich Road 5's on friends Ninja, not impressed at all. Did not even have to use a No Mar bar to set the bead. Use my hands.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, Shinigami said:

You got 7500 miles on the the Dunlop Q3 rear? I can get a pretty decent deal on Q3s right now, but have held off due to concerns on mileage. If I can even get more than 5k on them I will jump on it right away.

Thank!

No, Roadsmart 2 rear, Q3 front.  (Anyone telling you they can get 7500 miles on a Q3 REAR on a VFR is lying to you.)

I've never gotten more than 3500 miles on a Q3 rear on any of my bikes, but I am a little hard on tires, with lots of time in canyons.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Shinigami said:

No, Roadsmart 2 rear, Q3 front.  (Anyone telling you they can get 7500 miles on a Q3 REAR on a VFR is lying to you.)

Or they are riding very conservatively.

Just now, Rectaltronics said:

Or they are riding very conservatively.

I suppose, at 12 MPH, on well-worn shiny asphalt. one could possibly go 7500 miles on a Q3 rear.  Otherwise, not so much.  I once killed a rear in under 2500 miles on my 6th gen (front lasted twice as long).

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Shinigami said:

I suppose, at 12 MPH, on well-worn shiny asphalt. one could possibly go 7500 miles on a Q3 rear.  Otherwise, not so much.  I once killed a rear in under 2500 miles on my 6th gen (front lasted twice as long).

Regularly used to kill sports tyres on my t595 in around 2.5k miles. Bt016 & pilot powers. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Shinigami said:

Considering that I got around 18000 out of a BT-020 rear (or was it an 021, I forget), and in light of that fact that many riders on various forums were surprised I got more than eight or ten thou, I think it's entirely possible I could squeeze 7500 out of a Q3.

EDIT: I have a minimum of 3.5mm of tread left on a PR4 rear with over 12,000 miles.

YMMV.  Literally!

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna say it:  
I'm on my third set of Shinko Verge 2X's on the '14 and they do exactly what they should.  

I scrub them in on mountain roads (Palomar and the like around that area,  for you cali kids)

About every month or so I'll go to the mountains and really beat on them until they're scalded and slightly melty.

I commute about 15 mins every night in SD to work and back,  they get plenty of city time,  a slight bit of hoon time,  a lot of holeshot to 2nd gear WOT when I can get away with it, and they do 100 and 200 mile trips pretty regular.  

For 225 or so A SET,  the fronts last about 8 ish K miles,  the rears 4ish.  

The big thing is they really work on the VFR.  I've had awesome results in Camp Lejeune North Carolina rains,  like every other damn day,  they will put up with being beaten anywhere but a track environment,  and they do not slip up unless you do something drastically dumb.  I've had the front skip about 6 inches back from some blown over sand,  and that's pretty much it in the sketch department.  I've done at least 3 sets on my old 6th gen,  and around 2 sets on the '14.  

Granted they don't sit around on my bike.  I'll run through 2 sets a year there abouts.  

f266-588a3aaacb132.jpg

• Member Contributer

My T31s arrived today. Another few high speed commutes on highland roads should wear out the 30s. Will be able to work out how many miles I get out of a rear tyre up here. 

• Member Contributer

I now have my second set of Roadsmart 3s, front and back. They give great mileage and so far have performed well. I guess a track day would be the final test. They do well in the sports touring comparisons, but I have seen comments that say the quality can be a bit variable. Not noticed in my sets.

• Member Contributer

Fink what mileage are you getting from the 30's?

I had some Battleax 21's and they gave the same grip as the 30's but lastest for 7k, the 30's are shot at 6k

• Member Contributer

For me, Bridgestones have been excellent tires including the 021.  However, they ride so hard I just won't run them anymore.  All of them have ridden hard for me.  I'm on the Angel GT right now and they're doing superb.  Me too, never a Michelin again until they get back to PR2 handling and wear performance.  The only thing wrong with the PR2 is the technology makes their longevity non-competitive anymore.  It is a very predictable tire though.  

• Member Contributer

Nobody has mentioned Avon tyres, the service manager at Fowlers said they do a free replacement if it gets punctured, which with my luck one of them probably will

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Fink what mileage are you getting from the 30's?

I had some Battleax 21's and they gave the same grip as the 30's but lastest for 7k, the 30's are shot at 6k

Mileage on the T30s used on the ultra abrasive Highland roads I managed to get 3800 miles . Yes 3800 miles out of them. 

3368B4C6-8183-435A-9BE7-3B40B7E05708.jpeg

3705C840-3598-4A2E-AA9B-4722E0F0BB85.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Nobody has mentioned Avon tyres, the service manager at Fowlers said they do a free replacement if it gets punctured, which with my luck one of them probably will

Free replacement is punctured within the first 2 mm of new.

used to use Avon’s a lot storms st on my Pan , t595 and Cbr 600. Rate then

too 

I associate Avon with Harley therefore discount it. I shouldn't, but I'm not perfect. 

Side note, my Roadsmarts are wearing great, but nowhere near the lean angle plantedness of the t30 evos. Squirrely when hot. Which, in Phoenix, is all the time. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Using Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires right now.  They've served me fairly well.  Thinking about replacing them with Michelin Road 5 tires before my next road trip.  Has anyone tried them?  Any thoughts??

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rectaltronics said:

Using Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires right now.  They've served me fairly well.  Thinking about replacing them with Michelin Road 5 tires before my next road trip.  Has anyone tried them?  Any thoughts??

Long story short, have them, love them. There are a couple of post regarding the Road 5 with a lot more details...

Archived