Tires!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest here, I absolutely DO NOT trust Bridgestone in the wet. White lines, skip. Manhole covers, skip A puddle, well they slide. I don't know if it's me but the last time I put them on my old Deauville, (O21 front, 023 rear) I spent way too much time threading the bike through roads and tensing whenever something came up that might make them skip.

So off they came, after less than a thousand miles. RS3's went on and the bike was transformed. I was scraping the pegs after 50 miles, in fact they were too good for that bike.

My latest VFR 800 came with PR4's, almost new and there was just something about them that made me edgy in the dry, but they seemed ok in damp and wet conditions, but they were such a pig to turn in. I really had to put effort in to turn the bike. Best way I can describe it is that they felt remote, not really telling me what was going on.

So I've put RS3's on that as well. Transformed the bike again, it really doesn't matter if it's dry or wet, they turn in, they quicksteer (necessary in London) they tell me what's going on, they don'e seem to be wearing much at all and dry or wet and the only thing that limits me in heavy rain is me. The way it should be. I think turn, the bike turns... I do a commute that isn't brilliant for tyre wear, I also hang off a bit so it's tricky to gauge wear, they are supposed to be really good wearing tyres, I do about 800 miles a week so I'll soon know.

No skipping, no slides, nothing that worries me at all. I gave the PR4's to a mate, he loves them. I'll stick to the RS3's.

I share your opinion about the older Bridgestones, I hated the BT20s and 21s, and because of that never tried the 23s but the guys where I I used to get tyres near my old office in London persuaded me to try the T30Evos and trust me, they are a huge improvement on their predecessors. I'd happily use them again if it came down to it. Loving the new Roadsmarts though!

And just to mix things up, I'm considering trying the Continental Road Attack 3s for my next set.

Really liked the Metzeler Roadtec 01s but 6000+ mostly motorway miles have squared them off pretty badly. Won't be doing long distances for a while so will try and round them of on local twisties but reckon they are probably due to go.

The Metzelers were also the most expensive option so am being vaguely hopeful as the Contis are a bit cheaper.. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Tires seem to be one of those items that everyone has a different experience with. I use a Michelin PP3 front and PR4 rear on my 6 Gen and can say that I have not had any issues with their performance, except when they get near the wear markers, that's when they start to get "greasy" and is actually a good indicator that I need to replace them. I will admit that I do not always push them but I'm sure that Brian F and RC1237V can confirm that I can when I want to!

That being said, so many variables go with tires, from the rider's weight, rider's riding style, bike, bike setup, pavement, road types, etc. and it really shows by the different opinions on the same tire.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

I share your opinion about the older Bridgestones, I hated the BT20s and 21s, and because of that never tried the 23s but the guys where I I used to get tyres near my old office in London persuaded me to try the T30Evos and trust me, they are a huge improvement on their predecessors. I'd happily use them again if it came down to it. Loving the new Roadsmarts though!

Funny thing is, I thought the BT-020s were great in the rain, over road paint and metal bits.  Later compositions, not so much.

I did not like BT016s and said I'd never go back to Bridgestone, but I'm pretty happy with T30 Evos. They feel good, plenty of grip, inspire confidence. I'd feel comfortable doing a track day on them. I've been to the edges of the rear at over 90 MPH. I feel like they might let go a little more easily in the wet than I expected, but my expectations might not have been realistic as, other than OEM Dunlops, I haven't used any other tire in five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Bridgestone, if anyone needs a set of tires and doesn't have a lot of money to spend, you can get a set of BT023s for $211 delivered from Jake Wilson. And there is a Bridgestone rebate offer going on through the end of the month...$35 per tire.  That's a total net cost of only $141 for a set of good quality sport touring tires. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the T30 EVOs I ran two sets ago. Only got 2400 miles out of those, but they felt great.

• Member Contributer

Meanwhile my PR4s are up to about 12,000 miles or so.  A little scalloping in front, probably because I brake way into curves, but they still have a few K left in 'em.  They feel no more or less inspiring in the rain than the 023s I had on my 4th Gen but they don't seem to get as squared off as the Bridgestones did.

I had PR4s on my MT09 and got 20,000ks out of them, including a track day, commuting and fast road rides.

Loved the rosso 2's on my vfr, now have rosso 3's. not many ks on them yet, so no review. Nice on my brothers Tuono- i borrowed that for a month.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

They're so new that there isn't a lot of stock around here yet, will be interesting to hear what you think of them.

Although not on my VFR i have Roadtec 01s on my Blackbird. Third set now. Rears last 6 - 7000 miles, fronts 8000. With Ohlins rear and Andreani fork cartridges i ride her hard and these tyres have never let me down, dry or wet. Brilliant tyre.

• Member Contributer

I'm about to get my second rear Rosso III next week.

I really like them, 6500km's on the rear, could do another 1000 but going on a trip in 2 weeks and they won't get me back.

9000km's on the front and will probably last another 2000 maybe 3000km's.

Very even wear, but what I like the most is they seem to feel the same from new to finish.

They give a much quicker steering response because of their profile, and the wear bars are all the same.

I don't commute, and I don't do motorway, so no flat spots for me.

The front is still very round, but I can tell its starting to get a bit triangular because its a little bit more nervous.

Pilot Power III's were my favourite before these, but I like these better.

2 hours ago, adeyren said:

Although not on my VFR i have Roadtec 01s on my Blackbird. Third set now. Rears last 6 - 7000 miles, fronts 8000. With Ohlins rear and Andreani fork cartridges i ride her hard and these tyres have never let me down, dry or wet. Brilliant tyre.

I agree, I've just been through a set on my VFR but I was referring to Katie's Conti Road Attack 3s.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, weee06 said:

I just got some evos really good price on the rear right now.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/4607/54969/Bridgestone-Battlax-Sport-Touring-T30-EVO-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

I got it from Revzilla with a price match. 

Hey thanks for the pointer!  I was just about to purchase a new T30 Evo rear for my '99 VFR because I recently found and purchased a '92  VFR750 8-spoke rear wheel.  The 8-spoke is supposed to be back from refurbishment and powder coating any day now.  So I just completed a price match request over on Revzilla and will buy if they come through (if they ever want any of my business in the future).

• Member Contributer

The customer service at revzilla is always spot on for me so I always give them a chance at a price match. They have never said no. Also it pays to know to have customer service when buying things online. 

1 hour ago, weee06 said:

The customer service at revzilla is always spot on for me so I always give them a chance at a price match. They have never said no. Also it pays to know to have customer service when buying things online. 

Yeah, Revzilla got right back to me... With a big middle finger.  They told me I could take my business elsewhere.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, GreginDenver said:

Yeah, Revzilla got right back to me... With a big middle finger.  They told me I could take my business elsewhere.

Is the tire your buying the same size as the link I sent?

Just now, weee06 said:

Yes, I was trying to purchase the OEM size for my '99 VFR800, which is a 180/55ZR-17 (73W).

This feels really crappy after I spent $1,545.00 at Revzilla during 2017 (stuff for me and Christmas presents for motorcycle riders on my list).

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, GreginDenver said:

Yes, I was trying to purchase the OEM size for my '99 VFR800, which is a 180/55ZR-17 (73W).

This feels really crappy after I spent $1,545.00 at Revzilla during 2017 (stuff for me and Christmas presents for motorcycle riders on my list).

I guess just buy it from that website I sent then 

1 hour ago, weee06 said:

What size of the T30 Evo tire did you buy?  You said Revzilla gave you a price match on the Rocky Mountain ATV-MC price for the tire, right?

If so, could you please Private Message me a copy of your price match email from Revzilla?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, GreginDenver said:

Ironically, even though I've always had good service with Revzilla, I always always buy my tires from www.ridersdomain.com (formerly JakeWilson.com) which is also affiliated with RockyMountainATV.com. I find their tire prices to be consistently the best whenever I shop for tires, so I go there first but typically check the other usual suspects before pulling the trigger.

As far as why you were told to take your business elsewhere, I've never seen that type of response from them whenever I've dealt with Revzilla customer support. At the most, they have just asked that I provide a link to the place with the cheaper price and provided the other shop is an authorized dealer for that product, they've met the price.

35 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

As far as why you were told to take your business elsewhere, I've never seen that type of response from them whenever I've dealt with Revzilla customer support. At the most, they have just asked that I provide a link to the place with the cheaper price and provided the other shop is an authorized dealer for that product, they've met the price.

I followed Revzilla's price match request procedure exactly

In that request I included this copy link to the Rocky Mountain ATV-MC website: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/4607/54969/Bridgestone-Battlax-Sport-Touring-T30-EVO-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Here's a copy of the email reply I got back from Revzilla (to clarify the name difference, Walter is my real first name but I've always gone by Greg because my father was also named Walter):

Hi Walter,

Thank you for submitting a Price Match request. At this point, Rocky Mountain ATV & MC is selling that Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 EVO Tire at far below our cost, so we cannot match the price on that. It may be best to take them up on their current pricing, as I think that is as low as you will ever see those units sold! 

Sorry for the letdown. If there is anything else we can help with please feel free to reach out.

Safe riding,

Taylor

--

Taylor R.

RevZilla.com

877-792-9455

Follow us @RevZilla!

But isn't it great that after telling me to F-off "Taylor R." includes his obviously deeply felt concern that I should engage in "safe riding"?  That makes it all better, right?

(If you want to email him directly Taylor R.'s email address at Revzilla is taylorr@revzilla.com)

Archived