Pine Creek Gorge ride - The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

TimC

I'm planning an overnight trip this weekend to Pine Creek Gorge, PA, aka The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.  I'd like to see some amazing scenery and ride some nice twisties while I'm in the area.

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding on a route that keeps me near the gorge through most of the trip from Ansonia/US Route 6 to Waterville, which is supposedly near the southernmost point of the gorge.  Is anyone here familiar enough with the area to offer route suggestions and must-see locations?  I'll probably want to avoid gravel roads unless they're short diversions to another paved road.

Tips on decent but affordable motels/hotels and good food are very much welcome, too.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

• Member Contributer

Tim,

I don't know the area, but I hope you enjoy it.

P.S.

Dress warm.

I saw snow flurries in the Catskills this Sunday, which made me finally take interest in heated gear.

Thanks, buddy!  Checked the weather and it looks like I may see temps in the 50s, but hopefully that's as low as it goes.  I'll have an extra layer and cold weather gear with me just in case.

I planned a route last night, but I'm unsure whether these roads just west of Pine Creek are paved or gravel:  Colton Rd, Painter Leetonia Rd, Mine Hole Rd, and W Rim Rd.  If I was on an adventure bike I wouldn't care.  I've done gravel roads on my VFR but I don't like it and I've kind of promised myself I'd avoid them in the future if possible.

Again, I would love to hear any local knowledge, or even faint memories!  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't end up doing the ride last weekend.  My rear tire is pretty much cooked and I was afraid it wouldn't make the 500-mile trip.  I'm hoping to get it replaced within a week or two and do the overnight trip as a warm-up for my New England ride the last week of June.  :wink:

• 8 months later...

Archived