I'm now a 6th gen owner

slowbird

• Member Contributer

I got in an accident and my bike was written off (see this post: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83552-crashed-my-4th-gen-deciding-what-to-get-next/ ) so after much deliberation I decided to replace it with a 2005 VFR800.

It has 2 brothers exhaust (I think it's funny that one of the cans is just for show) it's also an ABS model with about 27k kms on it (16k miles)

It is definitely a different feel from my old 4th gen.

Bike has an odd pulsation in the front brakes. I can feel it when slowing down gradually. As well as when heavy braking. It's in rhythm with the speed of the wheels. Feels like brakes are warped a bit. I tried cleaning the disc bobbins. I also took the front brakes apart and cleaned and lubricated everything. Pistons seem to move easily. Took it for another ride and the pulsating is still there.

Also on my first ride the idle dropped from it's usual 1400rpm ish to like 500rpm and I could have swore I saw a bit of smoke drift past the headlights (I was in traffic. Could have been another vehicle) it grudgingly accelerated and sorted itself out.

Not the greatest first impression. Hopefully I can sort all this out.

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

• Member Contributer

ABS VFRs do not have a pulsation in the lever as a normal occurence.

If you have access to a dial indicator check the run out of your wheel and brake rotors while they are mounted (on center stand and with a friend weighting the rear to lift the front.

If you don't have access to a dial indicator place a long screwdriver against a fixed position on your fork lower and do the same (rotate the wheel by hand and look for differences in the distance between the tip of the screwdriver and the wheel lip/ brake rotor).

Good looking low mileage bike so you should really be okay with it smoke-wise...if it was your vehicle then I might think the low mileage has an impact and it is just clearing the cobwebs from the infernal combustion process/ air box.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, CornerCarver said:

ABS VFRs do not have a pulsation in the lever as a normal occurence.

lol! Yeah I figured it wasn't normal.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that or buy a dial indicator.

• Member Contributer

If you do find some unwanted run-out in the discs, it would pay to see if that is simply due to the gold coloured aluminium carrier being slightly out of whack. The aluminium is soft and seems to take very little accidental bumping (e.g. during a wheel removal or tyre swap) to get pushed out of line. The good news is that you can gently pry the carrier (not the disc!) back into line, using the dial indicator to find the spot that needs tweaking.

• Member Contributer

If you don't feel comfortable with what Terry is suggesting there is a guy in Greenville, SC called Will's Wheel repair and he can straighten wheels, triple clamps and yes, brake discs. 

Google Will's wheel repair if you need his services.

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue, turned out a front rotor was bent.  I tested by taking off the calipers one at a time and spinning the wheel - it was clearly obvious that the left disk had a warped spot.

I know there are how-to's on bending these back, but I simply bought a low-mileage used set of rotors from a member... cost a few $ but I have more confidence than if I had bent my rotor carrier out!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I'll keep working on the bike. It has low mileage but I don't think it has seen much maintenance. I'll change the plugs and Air filter and other stuff

• Member Contributer

I have a set of discs if needed at a reasonable price or 2 new ones for about $600 .

• Member Contributer

I also have the same bike owned by a forum member that needs to be put bacxk together literally got it in a basket and boxes of parts .

• Member Contributer

1 question for all you folk.

The front brakes don't pulsate when I press on the rear pedal. Even with the linked brakes.

Is that because the linked brakes are only activating one caliper on the front and not both?

18 hours ago, gmtech94 said:

I have a set of discs if needed at a reasonable price or 2 new ones for about $600 .

Thanks! I'll let you know if I need any.

• Member Contributer

12 hours ago, slowbird said:

1 question for all you folk.

The front brakes don't pulsate when I press on the rear pedal. Even with the linked brakes.

Is that because the linked brakes are only activating one caliper on the front and not both?

Thanks! I'll let you know if I need any.

I don't think so. the front brakes don't pulsate on my 18 year old 5G either.

• Member Contributer

AFAIK the linked brake on the 6th gen only activates the front left caliper centre piston from the back brake, but not the right caliper. So you have narrowed the bent disc to the front right.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Terry said:

AFAIK the linked brake on the 6th gen only activates the front left caliper centre piston from the back brake, but not the right caliper. So you have narrowed the bent disc to the front right.

Perfect! That's what I thought too and was what I needed to know.

Thank you :)

Archived